The Omega Speedmaster racing panda (326.30.40.50.01.002)

Hi everybody!

I've been saving up for the speedy mentioned in the title! While I'm searching for one between 2500 and 3000 euros within the EU, I'd like to know if anyone here has one?

Are you happy with it? How do you find the thickness? Do you recommend the watch or are there any others with a similair panda design that you'd recommend over the 326?

Regards!
Ruben

Also - I bought mine from Japan, new - stickers still on it. I wouldn't shy away from buying from a Japanese dealer e.g. eBay, Chrono24 though it's hard to find a deal on Chrono24.

I got mine from eBay with authentication. Shipped DHL, no customs fees. I think it was a weird situation since the watch was sent to eBay's verification from Japan, so having me pay customs would maybe have been odd/a hassle for DHL/eBay.

If it's sent EMS, it seems there is very little chance of a customs fee.

I just had another Omega sent from Japan through UPS. UPS charged me $12 brokerage fee, though I think they included maybe $40 more into the customs fee (total for brokerage+customs was $89 on a $3400 watch). Most of the value I declared on the movement, which should have a small flat fee. Either way, I was fine paying $89 instead of driving to my local customs office to self-clear.

eBay has had a 10% off deal for watches each of the past 2 months, so you may want to keep an eye out on that. Usually applies to watches over $2k

Interesting. I haven't considered buying from the Japanese sellers up until now, because I'm both afraid of the extra charges (shipping, 21% extra taxes, custom costs,...) and what if there is a problem with the watch and it needs to be looked at? Do i need to return it for a few months across the globe?
Edited:

@chipotlefire
Have you ever tried to put the bracelet from the Panda on the Fois and if yes how does it fit ?

Interesting. I haven't considered buying from the Japanese sellers up until now, because I'm both afraid of the extra charges (shipping, 21% extra taxes, custom costs,...) and what if there is a problem with the watch and it needs to be looked at? Do i need to return it for a few months across the globe?

Oh, if you have to pay 21% extra for taxes, the situation is different. I do not. I live in the US. Just have to pay the state tax. Shipping has been pretty inexpensive and I've not been forced to pay customs on 1 out of 2 items from Japan. I think if you do EMS there is a 0.5% chance they charge customs.

I just paid 2% customs on a watch sent from Japan - arrived in NYC two days later, UPS. In the US, you break down the cost of the watch - movement, case, strap. The fee on the movement is very small and I think has a ceiling.

If there is a problem, you may need to send it back to Japan if the warranty is through the seller, or if it is from an authorized dealer and under warranty, you can send to your local service center under warranty. They, then, may send it to Omega in Switzerland.

If you buy with no warranty, there is no difference buying from Japan vs local as far as what to do for service.

@chipotlefire
Have you ever tried to put the bracelet from the Panda on the Fois and if yes how does it fit ?

I have not but have seen posts where the user has and had no problem. I also saw one user said the end links are loose.

I have not but have seen posts where the user has and had no problem. I also saw one user said the end links are loose.
Interesting. However, I don't really wear bracelets, I'm a leather strap kind-of-guy!

Oh, if you have to pay 21% extra for taxes, the situation is different. I do not. I live in the US. Just have to pay the state tax. Shipping has been pretty inexpensive and I've not been forced to pay customs on 1 out of 2 items from Japan. I think if you do EMS there is a 0.5% chance they charge customs.

I just paid 2% customs on a watch sent from Japan - arrived in NYC two days later, UPS. In the US, you break down the cost of the watch - movement, case, strap. The fee on the movement is very small and I think has a ceiling.

If there is a problem, you may need to send it back to Japan if the warranty is through the seller, or if it is from an authorized dealer and under warranty, you can send to your local service center under warranty. They, then, may send it to Omega in Switzerland.

If you buy with no warranty, there is no difference buying from Japan vs local as far as what to do for service.

Yeah, we Belgians have to pay 21% taxes on goods from outside of the european union. But indeed like you mentioned, custums can't handle all of the packages coming in ofcourse. They can only check a few % of all packages, so there is a chance I don't have to pay anything extra...