The mystifying Rolex patina

Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
This is an absolutely rhetorical question.

How is it possible for some very few to be able to achieve the perfect patina 100% of the time in the later 5 digit serial Rolex sports watches? I’m always dumbfounded to see these watches come up.
 
Posts
2,218
Likes
6,929
Hmmmm, is this a trap question? Are you referring to offerings from Azzurri?
Edited:
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
Not really a trap question but certainly, I’m perplexed by patina that is always the same, on watches that usually have very little patina (glossy 5 digit sports watches) and always from one source. Must be some kind of magic trick. It just makes me very suspicious but then, I can be completely wrong.

This is something that was discussed in the days I was a regular on the VRF. Perfect cases. Perfect patina 100% of the time from one particular seller. Given today’s prices, I wonder…
 
Posts
24,800
Likes
55,082
I've seen similar skepticism about a seller who always seems to have perfectly matched pumpkin lume examples. Frankly, I don't have much faith in the majority of the big dealers. I think there is a lot of funny business going on.
Edited:
 
Posts
8,743
Likes
69,527
This is an absolutely rhetorical question.

How is it possible for some very few to be able to achieve the perfect patina 100% of the time in the later 5 digit serial Rolex sports watches? I’m always dumbfounded to see these watches come up.

I will tell you exactly how this happens!

Wait - crap someone is at the door, be right back...
 
Posts
1,325
Likes
1,872
I think it best if you shared some examples, so some of us know what you are talking about
 
Posts
2,218
Likes
6,929
No examples, otherwise the thread will be locked without proof. To the experts, it’s quite obvious.
 
Posts
6,437
Likes
31,613
I could tell you I but I'd have to kill you.::stirthepot::
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,108
Is it looks too good to be true, it probably isn’t .
 
Posts
7,778
Likes
14,370
The natural outcome of the patina fetish many people have.
 
Posts
1,990
Likes
9,505
Other less nefarious options:
1- Very picky in sourcing
2- “amazing” is easy to say on every listing, some look less amazing to me than the title indicates
3- add slight color adjustment to highlight the tones of an Option 2 picture and BAM it’s amazing!

And yes, I’m just looking at the “nice” side of the coin. I understand the question and why it is asked. I am no Rolex expert but have been looking for a 5dig sub for a while now so am become more familiar with the “egg shell” patina most of these develop, it is usually pretty subtle.
 
Posts
24,800
Likes
55,082
2- “amazing” is easy to say on every listing, some look less amazing to me than the title indicates

"Insane!" is the new "amazing". 🤦
 
Posts
944
Likes
2,450
I wonder if a 6 digit will get this patina in 15 more years.
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
This is an absolutely rhetorical question.

How is it possible for some very few to be able to achieve the perfect patina 100% of the time in the later 5 digit serial Rolex sports watches? I’m always dumbfounded to see these watches come up.

A lot quicker when the dial is out of the watch, surprising what a week in the sun/under a light source not in a watch will do.
 
Posts
2,218
Likes
6,929
Here is one from Phillips auction last year I was following closely that raised eyebrows. I have not seen two almost identical patinated dials from completely different references.

You judge for yourself.
 
Posts
1,258
Likes
2,737
Not really a trap question but certainly, I’m perplexed by patina that is always the same, on watches that usually have very little patina (glossy 5 digit sports watches) and always from one source. Must be some kind of magic trick. It just makes me very suspicious but then, I can be completely wrong.

This is something that was discussed in the days I was a regular on the VRF. Perfect cases. Perfect patina 100% of the time from one particular seller. Given today’s prices, I wonder…
Do you mean nbtimes? many debate yet still no one could confirm anything
 
Posts
6,832
Likes
10,654
I think there is a lot of funny business going on.
+1
 
Posts
2,218
Likes
6,929
Do you mean nbtimes? many debate yet still no one could confirm anything
Newer version….
 
Posts
616
Likes
3,921
EZ Bake oven?

This is an absolutely rhetorical question.

How is it possible for some very few to be able to achieve the perfect patina 100% of the time in the later 5 digit serial Rolex sports watches? I’m always dumbfounded to see these watches come up.