Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. ELV web Jan 18, 2015

My name is Eric, I live in singapore, the land of commodities if you are in what is designated as eastern part of the world. Been surfing around OF since jan 2014, and since then I have probably visited OF everyday. It all started with me looking at ebay and trying to identify whether an HPC tricompax was a franken or not that I stumbled upon the UG forum thread (and a fake that HPC tricompax UG was, the dial was real but the case back numbering was hinting franken) thanks to the knowledge widely shared in the UG part of OF, since then I have also branched out to Zenith (what a sin I have committed....), I truly hope I don't branch out to Longines or Omega itself :p Anyhow, really would like to say thank you to the people behind OF (Trev, Dsio, Stewart h, ulackfocus, MMMD, cicindela, gatorcorpa, msnwatch, Lous as well as major contributors like hijak, citizenrich, woodwrk, timeismoney, gavin etc. etc.), it is really like another home to relax my mind (as well as burn holes in my wallet!!!).

Eric Vergara

Edited Jan 18, 2015
    Mothra and watchme like this.
  2. Hijak Jan 18, 2015

1685, taking pictures of your watches is all about the correct lighting. I use a crappy point and shoot or my cell phone and in the right light can get some outstanding results. I find indirect natural light to achieve the best results. A bit of experimentation on your part and you'll be taking great snaps of your watches in no time!:thumbsup: Oh, and welcome to the forum.:)

1685 likes this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 18, 2015

welcome Eric from Singapore

You will!

ELV web and Hijak like this.
  4. Hijak Jan 18, 2015

Welcome to the forum Martin, there are many members here from down under as you'll see. Omega is a great choice to start in with vintage watches.:thumbsup: A suggestion to check out the WRUW thread (what are you wearing) over in general discussions will give you plenty to think about while looking for your first vintage. And don't be bashful about vetting anything you find here before you buy, there are plenty of experienced members who are happy to help out in the authentication of anything your looking at. Again welcome and have fun!

5. Hijak Jan 18, 2015

Eric, you've been around long enough to know what a slippery slope you're on now!:) As Lou said above...it's only a matter of time and you know we're all here to help you out, as we just want you to have a nice diverse collection.;)

ELV web likes this.
  6. Ohmega Jan 20, 2015

Hi all,
    My name is Rick, and I live in Payson,Az. I'm here as I finally pulled my Grandfathers inherited Omega watch from my toolbox. I knew nothing about Omegas. I have 4 old pocketwatches. A Hampden, an Illinois, a Waltham, and a no-name journeyman watchmakers test build from the mid 1800's. I owned a Stainless Rolex Oyster Perpetual datejust from the early '70's. It really did not do much for me when I owned it in the '80's, so I sold it.

I'm into anything high-performance with an engine.

I just had the back taken off Grandpas Omega today. It is a 1970 Geneve 563, with a G20 micron case. It has an ugly band on it. I purchased an Omega leather strap band for it. The crystal needs replaced, as it has lots of fine scratches in it. It was his retirement watch from Continental Can Co. Inc. He worked there in California. His job was to keep all the lines, and machines running.

I will post pictures as soon as I get some good ones taken.

Rick

7. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jan 21, 2015

Welcome aboard Rick. Looking forward to the photos.

8. jw0n Jan 21, 2015

Hi everyone.

My name is Won, and I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Stumbled upon this forum by chance, after searching for more images of vintage SM300s. I bought my first and second Omega several years back, working and saving up as a student. At the time, I knew little about watches, but decided I wanted two colourways of the same watch. This "collecting" habit probably stemmed from my many years as a sneaker collector of sorts, getting different colourways of the same shoes :)

Anyway, I have two triple date speedys, one silver and the other black. In retrospect, I really should have gone for a speedy pro, as I do prefer the larger size. No regrets though, as someday... someday I will finally pull the trigger on a speedy pro.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jan 21, 2015

Hello Won. 2 great Omegas to start with. If you spend any time on this forum I'm sure you will be getting your Speedy Pro soon. :)

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

Welcome mate!

11. krishthefish Jan 22, 2015

Hey all, I'm Krishna, from Columbus, OH. I'm a watch noob, but trying to learn more about what I've been missing out on. I don't have any watches at all, but I (hopefully) will change that soon! I've been reading up about watches for the past 6 months or so and picking the brains of friends who own Omegas, PAMs, Rolexes, etc. Hope I learn a lot while I'm here and someday can pass that info along to others!

12. kscarrol Jan 24, 2015

Hello,

My name is Ken and I live in New Orleans. I currently own two Omega watches and have been lurking here but have yet to post. I bought my first Omega in the summer of 2014, a Planet Ocean XL with the orange bezel (on a steel bracelet). My newest watch acquisition is a Planet Ocean Titanium in blue.

IMG_1255.jpg
    BrianMcKay, bilemshious and cicindela like this.
  13. JamesBrokengoat Jan 28, 2015

Helloooooo,
    I'm James from Toronto, I'm a 20 year old student who loves speedmasters and all mechanical watches for that matter. At 18 my parents bought me my first watch, which I got to pick out (same as all my siblings). Knowing absolutely nothing about watches I choose a Speedmaster co-axial (the big one). After working for 2 years, I managed to save enough for a 35th Anniversary Apollo 11, I love the contrast of the sub-dials.

slUP5o8.jpg
    [​IMG]

... I also got a cool sistem 51 but no pics atm.
    I hope to learn lots from you guys, and grow my collection :D

Edited by a mod Jan 28, 2015
    repoman likes this.
  14. Bruffell06 Jan 29, 2015

Hi everyone,

My name is Michael from England, 25. Only just really beginning to develop an interest in Omega's so i'll be trawling the forums looking for info/advice.

15. zekeryan56 Jan 30, 2015

Hello Everyone.
    I'm Dave, I'm active on a few forums. I dont have an omega yet but I fully plan to in the next month. maybe sooner if everything turns out right! I have a collection of around 25 watches of diff. value and style but have lusted after a speedmaster since I first saw one. and have decided to put off impulse buying (mostly) to get my omega I'm looking at the sales forum now hopefully we can make a deal! and I'll be an active and contributing member as best I can after I find one!

16. PureVision Jan 30, 2015

Hello all, my name is Kenny. Have been into watches for a couple years but only for the last 2 years have i been hooked on mechanical watches.
    Everything about the movements is just fascinating!
    I'm really starting to love the older vintage watches, especially omegas, hence how I got into this forum.
    I already owned an Omega Seamaster 300 quartz, but sold it about a year ago.
    I'm looking at some vintage Omegas and Breitlings on ebay, but scared to pull the trigger, with everything I read here about fakes and redials...
    So I'm gathering more information by reading in the forum, and will be posting pictures before buying something ;)

17. gttime Feb 1, 2015

just wanted to say hello. Joined the other day as I found you all searching for pics of the Apollo 11 45th on the titanium bracelet.

I have been into Omegas for the past six years or so and just bought my 6th yesterday a silver AT Annual Calendar.

Here is my current collection in one shot:

image.jpg
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2015

Nice set mate, welcome to Omega Forums!

citizenrich likes this.
  19. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 1, 2015

Welcome, very nice collection!

20. puddlep1rate Feb 1, 2015

Wow! that is a very impressive collection. Congrats on the new addition to the family!