Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Mothra Dec 4, 2014

Welcome, dfiled. let's have a wrist shot....

2. dfiled Dec 4, 2014

Here you go. Bracing myself for the anti-Gunner comments.
    Watch photo.jpg

Mothra likes this.
  3. ICONO Dec 4, 2014

Q: Why do Arsenal supporters drink tea from a saucer?

A: Because all the Cup's are always in Manchester

Apologies.......but when presented with a open goal.....one does have to strike fast

Well.........one does...... unless playing for the Gunners

Regards, very best wishes, & an extremely warm welcome

Patrick (. Errrr.......... Manchester ! )

Mothra likes this.
  4. dfiled Dec 4, 2014

Presumably you're not talking about the FA Cup. But I digress -- back to watches!

5. alfanator Dec 4, 2014

Noob here says hello.
    Well not really a noob to Omegas, been collecting watches since the mid-90s but new to this forum. Why did i not find you earlier.

Staying on topic. Here is a SM 300 i picked up some time ago from the original owner's estate.

[​IMG]

In an effort to get to 200 posts, here is a pie pan connie i picked up from EU.

[​IMG]

a cosmic i picked up at a Japanese Sword show (i collect those too ;) from the original owner

[​IMG]

Hope the mods do not get mad at me for post stacking.

A 321 Seamaster Chrono

[​IMG]

Welcome! and that's a nice set of Omega watches in your collection! :thumbsup: and don't worry about the Mods, everyone of them enjoy post stacking, specially when stacking pictures of watches! :D

No longer have this one. Sold it to pay for grad school in the late 90s to my brother in law and he would not sell it back grrrr :(

http://www.japanesesword.com/Images/Watches/Omega CK2998-3/dscn2230.jpg
    [​IMG]

sold this to a colleague that really dug the 70s funk...

[​IMG]

Edited by a mod Dec 4, 2014
    alam and pitpro like this.
  6. alfanator Dec 4, 2014

Out of Omegas, my son has my speedy and i got another on the way, so will add those later, but is something from another maker.

[​IMG]

An IWC...

[​IMG]

One of the first batch of Broad Arrows, went back to Switzerland a few times to get right.

[​IMG]

Edited by a mod Dec 4, 2014
    TNTwatch likes this.
  7. alfanator Dec 4, 2014

something newer...

[​IMG]

epl108 likes this.
  8. iflyem1 Dec 4, 2014

Hello all from Chicago. I bought my first high end watch in 1999, a new Rolex Submariner that I still have. Now I started fixating on Omegas. A friend has one and I think they look awesome. Hoping to get one soon.

Fretworker likes this.
  9. Fretworker Dec 5, 2014

Hi iflyem1 now that take some pronouncing - at least speaking English - so welcome from England, as I speak, how did you come about that name? I won't be the last forum member to counsel you to keep well clear of this place - it can hurt your wallet and who knows what else thereafter - I see you have no "likes" - let's get it rolling . . . .

10. Hijak Dec 5, 2014

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Chicagoan. What type of watch were you looking at if I may ask?:whistling: Always willing to help a fellow forum member spend thier money.;)

11. Fretworker Dec 5, 2014

See, I told you

12. iflyem1 Dec 5, 2014

Fretworker, I am a general aviation pilot. I fly the little airplanes around just for fun and I am also in federal law enforcement. One day I saw a co workers license plate that said "ICUFFEM". So I just decided to use that premise and came up with IFLYEM.

HIJAK, I am looking specifically for an OMEGA GMT 2234.50. I had one an had to sell it. Now I can afford one again I would like to find one. Preferably in excellent condition with box, cards, etc. I saw one on here but looks like I jumped on it too late.

13. bill5959 Dec 5, 2014

iwatchem----is that taken? :D

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2014

You won't be getting that from those of us who are season ticket holders;)

Mind you, it can be tempting to edit some members football comments - especially if they're of the smugger Mancunian or West London variety :p

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 5, 2014

You'll never get a smug comment from our @Spike
    A Crystal Palace sufferer extraordinaire :thumbsup:

Spike likes this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 5, 2014

I think a bloke from my neck of the woods, a Mr. Stan Kroenke, has a few quid in Arsenal and is rumored to be considering a move of his (my) American football team across the pond.
    Funny thing, no English football or cricket teams in demand over here!::stirthepot::

17. bill5959 Dec 5, 2014

UB, the English don't play football. Only Americans play. And don't get me started on Rod Stewart, that clever bugger. ::stirthepot::

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 5, 2014

Using the OED to define the words 'foot' and 'ball', I believe the correct pecking order for the use of the term 'football' should be:

1st/ Association Football - after all, the ball is propelled by the foot for 99+% of the time. This was quaintly abbreviated to 'Soccer' during the 1960s and 1970s - and still is in some strange parts of the world.

2nd/ Rugby Football (Union that is, as nobody outside of the north of England and Australia understands WTF is going on in Rugby League) as they do apply the foot to the ball relatively frequently.

3rd/ Gridiron Football as they may kick the ball up to half a dozen times during the course of a few hours (or the better part of a day, in the case of the Superbowl)

If there is anyone I have forgotten to upset with this, please let me know ;)

Privateday7 likes this.
  19. bill5959 Dec 5, 2014

I believe using the OED colours your thinking. May I suggest Websters? I am surprised that it says that football derived from the Scots "fut ball" in 1424. What the hell was Mel Gibson thinking? He had his team colours wrong. Anyway, Scots do rule. They seem to have originated some good sports. Did they have time for work back then? ::facepalm2::

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2014

Maybe a bit of history will help:

"The debate was long and furious but, after a fifth meeting at the Freemason’s Tavern in Lincoln’s Inn Fields in London, at 7pm on 8 December 1863, carrying the ball by hand was outlawed, and football and rugby went their separate ways. The dispute, strangely, was not over the use of the hand, but over hacking - that is, whether kicking opponents in the shins should be allowed."

- from Inverting the Pyramid, by Jonathan Wilson

:)