Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. stonechild Nov 20, 2014

Haha, thanks for the warm welcome, although in Northern Canada- we still have roads here. I've been collecting for about 20 years- and it took a lot of transaction to get where I am today. Plus I have some pretty good contacts and find good deals. I don't know where you live in Canada, but send me a pm and we'll chat further. I just bought a strap off this forum and with the exchange via paypal, I had to add 100. That was about an additional 17%, ouch. Good to have Canadian contacts..

Cheers, Jay

TNTwatch likes this.
  2. Rockmoc Nov 21, 2014

Hello, I recently bought a Speedmaster Auto Chrono and thought I would like to know more about the watch and watches. Like a lot of men I have a thing for watches and recently I was fortunate enough to be able to buy an Omega. I have yet to get used to the lingo here so please bear with me if I constantly ask questions

stonechild likes this.
  3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2014

Welcome Rockmoc.

And welcome Jimmy Lazers - do you reckon you can get Tony the Prawn to join too?

4. stonechild Nov 21, 2014

Welcom Rocknoc- nice choice for your first Omega- beautiful watch

5. Paedipod Nov 21, 2014

Lurking for I think more than a year and first set of posts today so here's my intro: Another Canadian, another Simon. I have been an accumulator more than a true collector though.
    "Thanks" to all here who are facilitating my addiction......

First Omega was my grandfather's originally but passed to my father and then me. IMG_2185.jpg
    Most recent Omega (cross posted in today's WRUW) thanks to photo500 IMG_2229.jpg
    and the daily wear team........
    IMG_2231.JPG
    there are a bunch of others....but saving for some post farming!
    Have a good weekend everybody
    Simon

6. Winno Nov 24, 2014

HI all,

I'm Winno... based in Aus (Canberra) and am on the Speedy Pro search..

I've had Tag Heuer's for the last 10 years, and have a cv2010 (7550 based - which I have had serviced constantly) , but I;ve worked out the reason I like it, as it reminds me of the Speedy..

So, before I go an buy another Tag of some sort (nearly dropped $5k on a beautiful antique Heuer 2447N ..... Valjoux 72 .. or a Monaco ) , time to get the Speedy I have always wanted...

So: will take my time and enjoy the banter.... will add when I can...

anyway, hello to you all, and hope to get my Speedy soon..

Winno...

7. Fretworker Nov 24, 2014

Hi from England Winno, and welcome to the slippery slope - you'll receive all the encouragement and assistance and even incentive you might need to exchange some hard earned for a Speedmaster, or 2 or . . . . . . . . . . (flee while you can)

8. ikeo1 Nov 25, 2014

Hello all,

I'm John, a systems engineer, in SoCal. I joined cause it seems like the omega forums has a nice group of contributors. Also, whenever I'm looking for an answer, the answers here are generally more on topic and knowledgeable. Members have already been very helpful without being condescending, which says a lot!

I started off with a Storm, which I still have , then got serious with Tag Heuer Indy 500, at least what I thought at the time.

After some time I stopped collecting and got serious into work. These days I like the classic tradition of Rolex, the modern changing styles of Omega, and the value of victorinox

Not pictured is a speedy that's currently being serviced. The black victorinox is leaving the crew shortly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416903260.863671.jpg

TNTwatch and repoman like this.
  9. Mothra Nov 25, 2014

John, nice collection there. What's next on the hitlist?

10. ikeo1 Nov 26, 2014

Thought it would be rolex sea dweller 4000 but ended up being submariner no date

Mothra likes this.
  11. simonprelude Dec 2, 2014

Hi, thought I'd introduce myself as I've just found this forum.

I've just started wearing one of my watches after having it serviced and was after more advice about it.
    I was told it was a 1953 Omega Seamaster but the strange thing about it is the face, it's bright Orange and everyone I've shown it to has said how unusual it is and no clue on the possible value. I also have a Gold square face Omega Genève which I no longer wear and my partner a 1960's Ladymatic which we urgently need to get serviced but can't find anyone to be able to carry it out.

If I work out how to upload pics I'll give it a go, but any idea on the brief description of the Orange Seamaster and anyone that would be able to service the Ladymatic?

12. simonprelude Dec 2, 2014

Hope this works

photo (2).JPG
  13. Mothra Dec 2, 2014

It may well be a 1950s Seamaster, but I think that dial and that lume is a lot newer and probably originated in India. Do you know where it came from?

14. simonprelude Dec 2, 2014

Unfortunately I don't know the history, the person who serviced it thinks the dial is original though.

15. Hijak Dec 2, 2014

A clearer picture would help but even from this one it's pretty clear that it's a redial.

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 2, 2014

hey guys,

I've been hanging out here for a few months and feel that i owe you all an apology for not introducing myself at the start. Many of you have been exceedingly helpful - both on forum posts I have started as well as just the general knowledge and open sharing of it that so many of you exhibit.

A quick background about me. I got the bug in 1987. I was 15. I went to an estate visit with my then girlfriend's family. this was a pre-sale estate visit and her family was given the opportunity to pick out a few momentos as they were friends of the deceased. I found an aviator watch of some sort. it was pretty small - i'd guess about 34mm, but had this mean looking grill over the crystal like this:
    grill.jpg
    It was ...compelling. I wanted it. I wasn't allowed to have it as it was dear to the family.

A few months later, my 16th birthday. My girlfriend's parents gave me a nice little Certina automatic. I knew nothing about it, still don't really, but I've had it since. Does anyone know where I can find more info about this? I can't find a lot from the numbers on the back.

IMG_6163.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG
    IMG_6221.JPG

A few years later, I decided to upgrade and got a "fashion" watch... still the best looking Fossil watch I've ever come across.

IMG_6167.JPG IMG_6239.JPG

After the Fossil, I went through a series of quartz watches.. Citizen, Casio, MTM, blah blah blah.

Then I found home. It started with this Seamaster...
    IMG_6203.JPG

...and there's more!

But those will wait for another day.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for providing such a great place to hang out and learn! I just wanted to introduce myself and share a little about me and my addiction.

cheers,

J

TNTwatch, ikeo1, Mothra and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mothra Dec 3, 2014

Still with the girl with the generous family?

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 3, 2014

19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 3, 2014

No, she left around the time the fossil showed up. Coincidence?

I'm pretty sure they picked up the Certina for about $40 at a pawn shop.. ;)

Mothra likes this.
  20. dfiled Dec 4, 2014

Hi everyone,
    I got my first Speedmaster recently (a 2014 Pro I bought for Kringkily) and I'm loving it. Happy to be part of the forum.