Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. gunner53 Oct 30, 2014

Hi

Im Chris,

I am new to this forum, however I have been on WUS for a while. I am getting a little more in to Omega watches. I have always been into watches, but find myself being very critical of many brands. I just bought my first Omega SMP 300 Ceramic, its a very nice watch. I have always bought Rolex and Breitling, those have been the staple of my collection. I find myself becoming more interested in vintage omegas and rolexes.

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 30, 2014

Welcome Gunner,
    Glad to have you with us, would love to see pictures of your favorites.

3. Thorbob Nov 1, 2014

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I found this forum to be a treasure trove of knowledge and it bears much of the "blame" for my latest pride and joy, a 67 Speedy (which I am sure I will pester you all with - LOL). I have a feeling that there might be a few more vintage goodies on the horizon, thanks to all you awesome enablers here!

Thor

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2014

Welcome mate, a '67 Speedy is an excellent piece to start your journey with.

Thorbob likes this.
  5. Gordon Nov 2, 2014

Hello, I joined this forum to find out about a 1963 vintage Omega I inherited. Before that, I had been mainly interested in Longines watches, of which I have two, both from 1964. It is automatic mechanical watches that do it for me. They are such exquisite mechanisms. In my view, and I realize this is a matter of taste, quartz movements are a backward step, however accurate they might be. Reading about the co-axial escapement has made me want a newer Omega. I covet the Omega De Ville Prestige Co-Axial 39.5mm Men's Watch 424.53.40.20.04.001. (I'm a philosophy lecturer. Unfortunately I do not work in early modern rationalist philosophy - Descartes etc. Descartes thought that animals were exquisite self-moving machines. So if I did a lecture on Descartes, I could (at a stretch) use the co-axial escapement as an example. Similarly if I taught 18th Century natural theology I could talk about watchmakers who are used in teleological arguments for the existence of God. But I don't. I do other stuff. And watches are only my hobby. It is the best way. I doubt I shall be able to afford and Omega deVille prestige for a while. I need to refurbish my new house first. But we'll see. Thanks to all of you on here who helped me find out about my Grandad's watch.

6. Fretworker Nov 3, 2014

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to time it. (apologies to Marx and Omega alike, but not Rolex of course)

Hi Gordon, welcome to the forum, you aren't the only member waiting for your ideal watch - look under "grail watch" to see how long the queue is

7. Maximus84 Nov 3, 2014

Well, I've already posted a couple of topics, so it would only be polite to introduce myself!

I'm Max, in the UK and currently looking for my first mechanical watch as a long-term keeper for my 30th. I have an old Constellation that was my grandfathers (although a quartz) but have always liked OMEGA.

Until about 6 months ago I knew very little about OMEGA or even horology and mechanical movements in watches. Many hours of research later I think I'm reasonably clued up, but I'm still very much a new guy!

Looking forward to deciding on, and purchasing my first new OMEGA - probably a Speedy of some type - in the near future!

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 3, 2014

Welcome Max!

Maximus84 likes this.
  9. bilemshious Nov 3, 2014

This forum is great! I've already posted several (probably stupid) questions and everyone who has replied is very kind and knowledgeable.

10. Fretworker Nov 3, 2014

Hi Max, glad you have joined up - be very careful what you wish for - Speedmasters can become very addictive - there's one for sale here on the Forum with an optional Phantom F4 if you're still keen

11. ConElPueblo Nov 5, 2014

Hi all. Recently joined up, have been on WuS for some time, but like the less restricted/formal tone on here better, so think I'll stay here for a while. Fewer pretentious gits as well. Have a few Omegas, nothing too spectacular, also a fine gold Chronographe Suisse (probably broken) and a lurvely Molnija pocketwatch for formal occasions. Can't photograph properly if my life depended on it, so don't count on me ever showing any of my watches :rolleyes:

Mothra likes this.
  12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 5, 2014

Welcome, nice to have another who has seen the light and joined us ;)
    A great start with an early festive avatar all we need is some pics of a couple of your pieces.
    Used often here " no pictures, it didn't happen"

13. George.A Nov 5, 2014

joining this forum after spending quite some time on WuS seems to be the trend around here ;).
    welcome ConElPueblo!

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 6, 2014

Hello, My name is Sergio. Have been following the Forum for a while but just decided to join on the fun. I am a Consultan for Hotel and Restaurant Operations and Developments. I have a modest, if Varied collection of watches. I am passionate about watches and Photography but not an expert, just Hobbyist. I have some Antiques (Waltham American, eberhart, Gruen), a Genta Geffica, 2 Vintage 1950's IWC, one vintage IWC Pilot and 2 modern Portofino and Portuguese Chrono, 2 Pams (111 and radiomir cali) 4 Cartiers (The classic LC Tank among them) Bell&Ross, 2 Baume&Mercier a Tag that is rusting on a drawer and Finally, for those of you wondering, my latest purchases are a Speedy, a Seamaster 300 Pro and a PO. Why? because I fell in love with them and could not, for the love of god, decide, even less after reading along these forums. Thank you all for all the wisdom and fun I have been having by reading on the sidelines. Best, S.

blackwatch likes this.
  15. TNTwatch Nov 7, 2014

Oh, just noticed this thread recently even though I've been a member for more than a year as I rarely ever looked much beyond the vintage subforum. Bit the bug in summer last year and only got 3 Omegas after a year this summer, but then... ::rimshot:: just a few months later, now I've got almost 20!!! ::psy:: All but 2 are chronometers.

Best forum ever!

Tony from Canada

boat2dan, blackwatch and Mothra like this.
  16. anemo Nov 7, 2014

Hi All
    Just been bitten by the bug and the first attempt at placating it is a Speedmaster Pro. Have read so much useful information here that it seems a natural place to join. Only problem seems to be that a big Omega habit may result.

Bob.

blackwatch likes this.
  17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 7, 2014

Welcome Bob, these watch bugs never give up, they will find your wallet no matter where you hide it.

boat2dan likes this.
  18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 7, 2014

Welcome to the very slippery slope, Bob. Consider this the start of converting your retirement fund into tangible assets - watches are a lot prettier than share certificates.

Alpha likes this.
  19. Dogmann Nov 12, 2014

Hi all,

I just realised although I've been here a while and enjoying it I had committed the cardinal sin of not posting a intro so here it is.

My name is Marc although go under the user name Dogmann or Dogmann55 on various forums as this was a nickname given to me due to my obsession with working dogs and my breed of choice the Dobermann. Was actively involved in working protection dogs up until a serious and chronic back issue meant I was no longer able to.

My posting my be a little erratic as due to my chronic back condition I am on enough opiates to kill most people currently 300mg OxyContin per day and 160mg OxyNorm per day and even after all that am in really bad pain most of the time I spend a lot of time on forums as a distraction technique from the pain. After a few major back surgeries I have ended up with a Fusion of the spine from my L3-S1 disc's here is an X-Ray of what my back looks like.

[​IMG]1 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

Watch wise I've been into watches since a young child as a friend of the family used to import Swiss watches so I used to get loads of them as I got older my father changed careers and ended up in the jewellery business and then went into retail. He was the manager at Tourneau @Bal Harbour and I joined him and lived in Miami for about 9 months. When he returned to the UK he joined Mappin & Webb and went from being a Watch Manager to general manager at both the Knightsbridge and Regent Street stores as well as working as a trouble shooter visiting various branches. I tend not to hoard watches as like to wear them not store them so usually only have a couple at any time. I found this great forum after buying my first Vintage Omega an all original Baby PlopProf. This forum has also led me into getting my first Zenith which is my latest acquisition. My preference really is dive watches but appreciate all beautiful watches my current watches are

Zenith El Primero Red Ltd Edition 36000 VpH 42mm
    Omega Baby PloProf 166.0250
    UTS 1000m Pro Diver Anthracite dial
    Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
    Sinn 180a Ti Chrono

Marc

Edited Nov 12, 2014
    citizenrich, TNTwatch, Mothra and 3 others like this.
  20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 12, 2014

Boy that X-Ray would make one cracking avatar, although I do prefer the one you have :thumbsup: