Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2013

Hi Chas. Welcome aboard!

Yep, that's one sure sign you're up to your eyeballs in this hobby.

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 6, 2013

Welcome Chas.......Looking forward to seeing your vintage O

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 6, 2013

I'm confused, NYers collect vintage Oreos? Given that there is nothing natural in them (did you know they are vegan), perhaps they would last almost as well as watches!

Privateday7 likes this.
  4. timeismoney Oct 6, 2013

Hi All,

Been lurking around here for quite sometime and just want to let you all know that this site has been as entertaining as it has been educating. I particularly enjoy the many varieties that are represented on the WRUW, though looking at it too often could bring a serious case of envy and disastrous clearance of one's bank account. For this, I have George to thank :)

Here is some gratuitous patina shot, hope all have a pleasant Sunday evening!

AC

photo 2.JPG
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 6, 2013

Beautiful. I really like these aged 2 register chronos. Haven't yet got one though......

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

Welcome mate!

7. gollum my precious Oct 7, 2013

Hello to everybody!
    My name is Roman and I'm something like an Omega nut! :)
    Primarily I'm focused on Omega Mark series chronographs, but also I try to pay close attention on Heuer vintage chronographs. Just to show you what I'm talking about, I'll reach and grab some help from pictures bellow (thousand words... and stuff):

145.012 & Sapphire Sandwich,
    Marks (ll, lll, lV & 4.5... V will join the group by the end of this week, after extensive search)
    [​IMG]

Heuer Bund & Heuer Montreal PVD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... aaaaand something more 'modern' (SeMPC Ti & SS versions, Omega PO 42 cal 2500):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...more than enough for the first post... me think! :)
    Have a wonderfull day!

BrianMcKay likes this.
  8. timeismoney Oct 7, 2013

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    That's quite a collection, Gollum! Congrats!

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2013

Definitely a good variety you have there, love how you're completing the MK series

10. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2013

Lotsa new members with some experience showing up. Welcome!

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2013

Super crew you've got there Roman. Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

dsio likes this.
  12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 7, 2013

Welcome Roman.....
    Nice sporty watches in your collection.
    The blue dial Mark III is a killer :thumbsup:

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 12, 2013

Welcome Okiana.....you can not go wrong with the Moonwatch. The 2254.50 is the closest modern representation of the original Seamaster 300. Good choice.

okinana likes this.
  14. benjclark Oct 15, 2013

Hello all from Northeast Montana. I'm Benjamin, a museum curator, and collector, but have never got into watches. I collect books. However, I've always admired nice watches, but with a perfectly functional watch in service .... a quartz Timex I got in grad school a dozen years ago (and went through the wringer in those first couple years), is simply no longer able to do its job.

So, now I'm no longer a student, but a professional hitting the prime of my career, it's time to step up my game ... at least a little (I'm not a hedge fund manager afterall). I thought back to some watches I admired and started shopping ebay, and quickly realized I needed a lot more education before jumping in, so I found the best place to learn and probably shop (watching the sales forum now). Thanks.

15. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2013

Hi Benjamin. Glad to see you're stepping up to a mechanical watch. Nice to see you used the 'w' with wringer too. Guess that education paid off, eh? ;) Most of the vintage watches you see for sale here come from our collections so you know they've been vetted in advance.

Keep an eye out for the 60's Seamasters. They're available in automatic or manual wind, and have lots of subtle design differences. The plain Seamaster 30 and Seamaster 600 models from the early 60's make good all around wearers and can be had for a reasonable price. I'd also recommend the Longines 30L and 30LS models from the same era for the same reasons.

16. benjclark Oct 15, 2013

Thank you! I've pretty much decided to shop here and stay away from ebay -- too many pitfalls for the uneducated (me). I'm starting to think about getting a Seiko automatic/ kinetic diver (a fairly subdued model) for a beater, and a budget friendly Omega for the office. Thanks for the suggestions!

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 15, 2013

Hello Benjamin. You have definitely got what it takes to get on well in this obsession (sorry, hobby)

Any museum curator must, by nature, be a stickler for detail and not suffer anything un-original.

Don't take this the wrong way but you are following my father's model - Seiko Kinetic daily and his Omega (that he bought new around 1970) for best. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the band of asset rich but cash poor brothers.

18. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2013

"Hobsession". It's an official word here.

19. benjclark Oct 15, 2013

Thank you and thank you! Hobsession .... yikes. Sounds like I may need an inoculation before I spend much more time here.

20. kanikune Oct 28, 2013

I'll give a brief introduction of myself:
    I'm an engineer by profession, but been fascinated by watches for few years.
    All started, when I decided to get a mechanical watch to celebrate my 30th year birthday (a bit over year ago). At the same time I decided I'll service & maintain the watch by myself. Well, after that, things have got out of my hands pretty much :D

These are some my work on the watches. They're on finnish forum, but I'm sure google does the magic for you.
    http://kellofoorumi.com/index.php/topic,651.0.html
    http://kellofoorumi.com/index.php/topic,590.0.html

Oh, and the watch I bought was Rolex OP, quite plain and neutral design, which I like.
    At the moment I have Omega ref.2640-9SC cal.283 as a project, DeVille cal.1387 just completed and one Omega 565 on hold to be serviced.