Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Anchorman Jul 17, 2011

Hello! My name is Mike. I have always had the "watch bug," but they were generally Fossil, Seiko, or Citizen watches. About 8 years ago, I bought a Breitling (wanted a Seamaster too, but the Superocean kept calling my name)..I have TONS of watches (ranging from cheap novelty watches to Swiss movement automatics), but generally rotate wearing my automatics. I acquired my Constellation from my father, who bought the watch new in 1963. It's small compared to my other watches, but it still looks good at 48 years old! I love wearing what I consider "art" on my wrist. I look forward to visiting the forum and gaining more knowledge and insight into the disease known as "watch collecting."

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2011

Hi Mike, always something very special about a Pie-Pan Constellation, especially when it has a family connection!

navin56 likes this.
  3. Steve Jul 18, 2011

Hi i'm steve from Staffordshire UK, I'm a big fan of Omega's and have already made an attempt at posting a review.
    My love of watches started with a TAG Heuer McLaren S/el (ref.CG1117.BA0423 ): Limited Edition of 3999 watches launched in 1998 to commemorate McLaren winning the Constructors Championship. The watch has a silver dial with grey chequered flag and ” West McLaren Mercedes” written on the dial. On the back are the signatures of Mika Hakkinen, David Coulthard and Ron Dennis, Which i still own but desperately needs a good service
    [​IMG]
    My first Omega Speedmaster was the first one of the schumacher series,
    The 2000 edition was numbered & limited to 6000 pieces of which 4000 had a black dial & 2000 had a white dial ( the numbering was not sequential for black & white dials, they were mixed in with each other). There were red/orange chequered markings around the outside of the dial & the word RACING appears above the sub-dial @ 06:00.
    It has a "snap-back" & is engraved with Michael Schumacher nonclemanture and the edition number, as well as his signature.
    This is the first watch to have been marked as a "Schumacher"

Again this was watch was available on a bracelet or strap (black).
    The box was more like a "normal" Omega box, but in black with 'Speedmaster Reduced Limited Edition' and 'Omega' on the top.

Ref # : 3518.50.00
    Movement: Omega 3220

[​IMG]
    I kept this watch for a while but fancied a seamaster, so i sold this to fund my next watch
    [​IMG]
    I wore this watch for work I'm a welder it took a battering but proved to be indestructible. Fantastic watch !. I know some of you out there will say how can you treat a Omega like that !.:whipped:.
    My next purchase was a Triple date speedy, A lovely looking watch.
    DSC01216.JPG

But by now my wife was moaning about my watch obsession especailly when i said i wanted the 40th edition anniversary moonwatch, so something had to give, so i sold my trusty seamaster and the triple date to help fund my 40th Apollo edition. (pics of which you can see on my first post).
    I soon started to get twitchy for another watch so i came across a hybrid Speedy with Broard arrow fingers if your interested i can post pics at a later date.
    My obsession didn't stop there and to my wifes dismay i treated myself to a planet ocean (i've got the set:D) promising this would be my last purchase
    I bought the one with the orange numbers
    [​IMG]

I think this looks the better out of the planet oceans, I hope you agree ?.
    So there you have it, my collection present and past. I hope you enjoyed veiwing as much as i enjoyed writing it. Thanks for looking :)

Dogmann and Trev like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2011

I had a very similar starting point with a TAG F1 and a SMP. The Seamaster Pro will always remain my beater watch, as Omega really did build it heavier and thicker than anything else on the market, no doubt as a welder you were probably partly attracted by the sheer amount of steel you get in one of those pieces, I think mine weighs 220 grams! Definitely the right watch to take the bangs while the Apollo 40th waits in the watch box!

[​IMG]

Dogmann likes this.
  5. Steve Jul 19, 2011

Great looking watches, i really like the look of your seamaster (maybe i could persuade the wife ?? ).
    I agree about the weight my PO 45.5 mm weighs about 222 grams, you can actually feel it weighing your wrist down !!. Where as my Apollo 40th edition is definitely for best.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2011

If she loves you, she'll let you express yourself horologically. I mean you're not frequenting brothels, using drugs, or gambling. You just need to remind her how insignificant your habit is compared to the other possibilities :thumbsup:

Trev likes this.
  7. Steve Jul 19, 2011

Just thought i'd post my collection as it stands,
    Picture 009.jpg The tag on the left was my first watch, if you wondering whats that 'runt of the litter' on the right thats my new Casio G shock. Everyone should in there life should have, or once owned a G Shock ! :).
    The Speedmaster in the middle is kinda special with its Broard Arrow fingers and clear viewing display glass,
    Picture 013.jpg
    Its a c.861 movement with 18 jewels.The eagled eyed people out there might notice the only thing letting the watch down is the nylon delryn brake which should be metal only for viewing purposes !, Although the nylon is better for wear and is fitted on all standard moonwatch c.861 movements.
    Picture 018.jpg
    It may not be a thoroughbred, But its all speedy and I kinda like it !. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Dogmann and Trev like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2011

Ah so is it a Speedmaster Pro BA from 70s or 80s with modern BA hands installed?

9. Steve Jul 20, 2011

Its hard to put a date on it. Reading the excellent review on speedmaster Moonwatch movements by Chuck Maddox he says that Omega changed from 17 to 18 jewels round about 1996 ?.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2011

Ahk, I was guessing off the darkish patina on the tritium, has a real vintage feel to it even if its that recent!

11. Steve Jul 20, 2011

I see what you saying, The face is a dark grey colour, and the tritium does has a 'tobacco' vintage colour look to it. Maybe the face is off a older model ?. Thanks for your interest Ashley.

12. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2011

Hi, I'm Dennis and I'm hopelessly addicted to vintage Omega. If Ω made it before 1980, I probably like it - and might have owned it once in the past. :confused:

13. hidden by leaves Aug 1, 2011

Hi all... nice to see some familiar names, and a new Omega forum, it looks great. Some of you may know me from WUS, nice to be here...

Congratulations to the founders, and thanks Dennis for the heads up!

Cheers,
    HBL

Dogmann likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2011

Hey welcome guys, you Speedmaster / Seamaster type vintage collectors or more Constellation?

15. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2011

Thanks! No Speedmasters, but I wouldn't mind a pre-moon chocolate or a late 50's Broad Arrow. There are several Seamasters in the box but probably not the ss dive watches you would expect. Got 3 Connies - a '54 caliber 354 inside an 18ct 2799, a '66 caliber 564 inside a 14ct 168.005, and a '68 caliber 564 inside a ss 168.015.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2011

The 2799 is the Grand Lux isn't it? You have it on a bracelet?

17. hidden by leaves Aug 1, 2011

Thanks very much... I guess I would fall into the Speedmaster/Seamaster type, of the more modern variety ... Here are my three Omegas (the Speedy is on an old(er) 1479 bracelet):

[​IMG]

Dogmann and Steve like this.
  18. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2011

No bracelet. :-( I did have a line on a full rotor dome dial with the brick bracelet last year, but I'm getting deeper into bumpers. If you like the Luxes, wait'll you see the 2757 Seamaster pie pan caliber 355 with the date at 6 I scored a few months back.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2011

Honestly my two favorite bracelets in order:

SS Beads or Rice
    18k Brick Lux

I'd love to own a brick but I'd be to afraid to damage it, the BOR is just the perfect comfortable bracelet, I wish the Oyster bracelet on my Submariner felt as nice and looked as good as the BOR...

What's the Seamaster Pie-Pan?? I've never seen such a thing (except for one enterprising soul that put a pie-pan dial on his very corroded Seamaster to up the value).

20. Relumer Sep 10, 2011

I am a System Admin for a big Insurance Company . I administer Unix systems etc.
    I used to be a watch collector but i quit that and i only kept what i wear. My SMP and a Gshock .
    I also run a reluming business ( link in my profile )and my best friend also happens to be my personal watchmaker , so if you need a service shoot me a line.