Forums Latest Members

The Grand Seiko Guy... any opinions?

1. Pascal S Jan 4, 2023

That's my whole point. I leave room in the universe for the possibility that this poster may have neglected to tell us about an actual deal gone wrong taking place after being denied his demands, but nothing that he has written so far strikes me as proof that The Grand Seiko Guy is some kind of con artist.

rendo likes this.
  2. rbob99 Jan 4, 2023

In your explanation you don't say he actually scammed you. Did he? Did you lose money or were you only afraid that you would?

3. Omahaplayer Jan 4, 2023

No you're completely wrong. I sent him over 2000 after he wouldn't budge and haven't received any response or watch in 2 weeks. You sound like you could be him the way your defensive about it. Like I said I'm spreading awareness for others to not fall for it. Nothing else to it.

4. bradurani Jan 4, 2023

Gerald has a good reputation in the vintage Seiko community for being an authority on vintage Grand Seiko and for selling only well-researched, all original vintage watches. I'd be very surprised if he's done something wrong.

5. Dan S Jan 4, 2023

I doubt anyone is going to take your wild claims seriously without some really compelling proof. This expert and seller has been around for a long time, and I've never heard anything negative before. You are an anonymous new member with an unusual approach and no credibility. If there is any truth in your story, document your claims and contact the authorities.

6. Pascal S Jan 5, 2023

You may wish to start with that point then, before bitching about how his terms of sales are not to your liking. And if I was mean, I would then question why you decided to send money to someone you saw as unbending and unreasonable...

Anyway, while the absence of response is definitely concerning, two weeks is a very short time for the worldwide shipping situation these days, especially in this season. So unless this was a domestic dispatch, I still see your current behaviour as an overreaction whose effects may result in an undeserved stain on someone's reputation.

What happens if the watch shows up at your door tomorrow? Will you take the time to retract your accusations and fall on your sword?

Dan S, SC1, IDXM and 1 other person like this.
  7. munichblue Jan 5, 2023

I wonder if the moderators will not intervene here. Here comes a completely unknown guy around the corner and accuses a long-time respected collector of fraud without even bringing a single piece of evidence. This is damaging to the reputation and should be dealt with immediately.

To be honest, I am quite shocked that something like this is possible here.

SOG53 likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 5, 2023

Oh …Grand Seiko guy thread resuscitated. More positive thoughts expected. Instead some random dude trashing a guy who most folks think is just fine.

9. Dan S Jan 5, 2023

Let's see how it plays out, I don't think you'd want the moderators to step in immediately every time someone makes a complaint or allegation. As noted already, without evidence, nobody will take the allegations seriously.

Pascal S and SC1 like this.
  10. SOG53 Jan 12, 2023

I have had no personal or business dealings with The Grand Seiko Guy, but I have visited his website for research and learned quite a lot from his scholarly articles and IG posts. He offers a monthly subscription service for a very modest fee one gets reviews of YahooJapan auctions and also preview announcements of upcoming sales and subscriber discounts on his watches for sale. As a vintage GS is high on my wish list I plan to subscribe to the site I view this as a totally legitimate business model, much like others in vintage watch business who offer Patreon memberships which provide similar arrangements for small monthly fee.
    Nothing in this thread has convinced me to not join or to not consider buying a GS watch from The Grand Seiko Guy. The new poster has made serious and as yet unsubstantiated allegations which are not credible at this point. Does such behaviour warrant removal from OF? Moderators?

11. keepschanging Jan 12, 2023

I was one of the people posting positively about Gerald earlier in this thread. That was 2018.

In the past 4 years I have continued dealing with him, including where I received money, not just where I paid money. And he is 100% honest, reliable, trustworthy, knowledgeable... the list of positives could go on but you get the point.

And hey I'm wearing a Seiko today so may as well post it.

7EC660C1-91FA-4CBB-8C11-628C2DED3570.jpeg