Forums Latest Members

Any opinions on the Omega Railmaster 2503.52?

1. RubenDhae Nov 30, 2022

Hi all

I'm really considering the 2503.52, as pictured below!
    Anyone that has one, and wants to share his/her opinions about it?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all input!
    Ruben

ACTmike likes this.
  2. RevZMan123 Nov 30, 2022

PXL_20221115_213105171.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221010_125947095.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221109_040640962.jpg

Fits great and it's a regular strap monster.

3. GuiltunderGlass Nov 30, 2022

2504.52 owner here. Both are great watches and the 2503 is very easily had at a decent price, buyers market.

4. nzshadow Stowaway Dec 1, 2022

I don't have one, but I do lust after them. It's a magnificent watch - do it.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 1, 2022

I have one, it's a favourite I don't wear often enough.

Nice clean simple dial, perfectly proportioned dimensions. Well worth having one.

Railmaster.jpg

ACTmike likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 1, 2022

I do like the Aqua Terra generation Railmaster, the lack of date and bright lume make them very appealing in a toolish way. They were of course available in 4 sizes, 36, 39, 41 and a faintly ridiculous 49mm. I had the 39mm which is the one being discussed here. It wears very nicely and has a lot of the Explorer 1 vibe with a slightly more dressy twist. It is all dial though so to many eyes works best in the smaller 36 and 39mm sizes, the 41 and 49mm look a bit like Flava Flav's neck ornament in some ways. The 36mm is very hard to come by and consequently priced higher than the rest, but I think the 39mm is a good compromise and is rather easier to get hold of at a sensible price.

Do inspect the sapphire crystal of any you are interested in closely as it is domed and as such the first thing to hit the door jamb or car window and anecdotally these get chipped more than those on other designs. The bracelet on these uses the button and sliding clasp design favoured by Omega during this era which I find quite fiddly and a little fragile. It is possible to bend the thin joining strip if you are clumsy or sit on the watch. As such many including myself favour a strap.

In short its probably better suited to wearing to the pub than charting the Orinoco but since I do more of the former than latter, that if fine by me.

ACTmike and hen like this.
  7. Duckie Dec 1, 2022

Agreed.
    I have one that is 39mm and it's a dead set ripper of a watch.
    Mine originally had the brown croc leather strap with deployant, but as of the other day it's on it's second calf leather pin buckle strap, with this new one being a fau black croc that's matte with white stitching and it looks better than it ever has in it's life since 2005.
    The watch has had one service at about 13 years old and it's a great timekeeper that's been dropped and banged and vibrated to hell and back which has literally taken a lickin but keeps on tickin reliably.
    A real strap monster as well for good measure that's helped me re-discover the joys of a watch on a strap;)

Highly recommended for it's outright honesty:)

8. Duckie Dec 1, 2022

That 49 was pretty intimidating.
    I never understood it at all at 49 mm with the 6498 movement it should've topped out as a 42mm package for a slightly larger offering with a sub second watch:thumbsdown:

9. RubenDhae Dec 1, 2022

Thanks for al the pictures and info!
    Whenever I look at pictures of the watch, I somehow notice a LOT of reflection on the crystal.

Do you guys notice it reflects much more than other (Omega or non-Omega) watches? Like the AR coating is worse?

10. RubenDhae Dec 1, 2022

Also: it would replace my Sinn 104 St Sa. It has the same vibe, but it would be an upgrade indeed!
    [​IMG]

11. RubenDhae Dec 1, 2022

Also²: what's the public opinion on the movement. It seems like it's "just" an eta-movement, no? Probably no issues with finding someone that can repair/service it? ;-)

12. RubenDhae Dec 1, 2022

I feel it would be a good match with a green NATO strap (seatbelt style):
    upload_2022-12-1_21-37-1.png

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 1, 2022

Well this generation of RM used a heavily modified ETA movement with a totally different (co-ax) escapement so it wont be as easy to get it serviced well as a bog standard 2892-A2 or even an 1120 (which is still quite different to the parent 2892 in several ways). Many of the parts are bespoke so you might have problems if some are needed, and they often are it seems. There were I think 2 versions of the 2403 used, the A spec (which corresponds with the 2500B, and the 2403B (which is similar to the 2500C). I don't think there was ever a triple layer version like the 2500D seen in these. The later 2403B is reckoned by those that know to be more reliable. I had a B and was very happy with it.

14. RubenDhae Dec 2, 2022

Interesting! Thanks for the details. How could I know wheter a RM has an A spec or a B?

15. Duckie Dec 2, 2022

As padders has said, servicing is not as straight forward as one may like. Whoever does it will need to have access to the required parts.

Now to identification of the movement spec.
    I am more than willing to be proven wrong, but if I recall correctly the later spec beats at a slower frequency.
    It's easy to spot if you know what you're looking at, but the earlier spec movement beats at 8 ticks per second or 28800 BPH which is fairly common these days and the later one beats at around 25700(or something in that order) which is more leisurely. The later movement was always heralded as the be all and end all of the Co-axial back in the day as it was regarded as being set up to run more in keeping with the spec that Daniels had worked out for his Co-axial escapement:thumbsdown:
    A quick google search or two of the 2403 movement will yield more specific info which I have done in the very distant past with good results to shed more light, which I highly recommend:thumbsup:

RubenDhae likes this.