The future of Omega vs. Rolex

Rolex marketing and brand positioning is undisputed. The continual proliferation of social media has only made it more so. And here in lies the root of it, the majority of people crave acceptance by their peers. If the majority find something desirable, no matter how good or bad it is or how it rates on actual merit, it becomes the desirable thing. The genius of Rolex here is that its entry level, steel watches are affordable to any "middle class" person at MSRP. If it's too expensive then it becomes unobtainable, too cheap and it's not desirable enough.

The fact that demand currently out strips supply for these models is marketing gold since the common masses crave things that are recognisable to their peers in order to brag. You can't brag or be the envy of others if you own something that isn't recognisable, no matter how good it may be. Just look at the Hermes Kelly Bag for another great example of this This is not to say that Rolex and Omega don't make quality products, they do. It's just that they're not necessarily "the best" there is, which opens a whole can of worms on how you determine this.

At present, Omega simply doesn't have the brand recognition that Rolex has and it would take a lot to try to get it, even if it were possible. At the end of the day, they're both veblen goods and logic has almost no part to play.

This is coming from someone who currently owns 3 Omega watches and no Rolex. I have never had a desire to own a Rolex, not because of any wild stigma or dislike of the brand. They simply don't have a single watch I actually like enough to buy. Having said that, while I appreciate the original Speedmaster (in hesalite of course) and it's ample space "achievements", I have no desire to ever own one of those either. Okay, I'll show myself to the door...

I guess I’m come from a country that’s not so much into watch culture (Australia).
Not to many people in the circles I travel think Rolex is an aspirational brand.
Funny I’ve had an interest in watches for 30years I hear people online always stating everyone “on the planet knows what a submariner is” well I didn’t until 3 years ago, still I’ve never seen one, and I’m pretty sure none of my non watch friends have any idea what they are.
If you said Rolex 10years ago to me I would have said president or day date as models that come to mind.

There are plenty of Omegas and some Patek’s in the watch wearing people I know, the odd Tag, Seiko etc.

Now all I hear on watch social media channels is gotta get a Rolex, after hours of starring and researching the various models online I can’t see anything but eventual Rolex fatigue setting into all the hype.
Add to that how blatantly it’s manipulated by the million and 1 secondary sources, also a higher % of flippers then wearers, I think Rolex sooner all later will be yesterday’s news, accept by a niche inspired to get crowd.

Btw it won’t be just Rolex.
Edited:

Many of those gold, platinum and diamond encrusted models are, at heart, still top quality tool watches. Nothing wrong with that. It’s how Rolex built its reputation. Omega too with many models. But neither company has ever been in the same league as Patek, AP or VC. In my mind, those are luxury watch producers.

Err, what? A precious metal watch with gems attached is a "tool" watch? Really? Sure, the movement may be but a watch is more than just a movement. As a whole, regardless of the manufacturer or price I don't think you can call any precious metal watch with gems attached a "tool" watch. Well, maybe the person wearing it is a tool but that's a different matter 😉.

I agree that the Holy (Swiss) Trinity are in a different league to Rolex and Omega when it comes to horology, finish and luxuriousness.

Err, what? A precious metal watch with gems attached is a "tool" watch? Really? Sure, the movement may be but a watch is more than just a movement. As a whole, regardless of the manufacturer or price I don't think you can call any precious metal watch with gems attached a "tool" watch. Well, maybe the person wearing it is a tool but that's a different matter 😉.

I agree that the Holy (Swiss) Trinity are in a different league to Rolex and Omega when it comes to horology, finish and luxuriousness.
So a precious metal Speedmaster Professional is no longer a tool watch? Wouldn’t it actually be a really expensive tool watch? 😀

So a precious metal Speedmaster Professional is no longer a tool watch?

If it has gems hanging off it, no in my opinion. Without gems, sure 😀. It's not about the value of said gems in my mind, it's that they would get caught on things. It's a watch, just not a "tool" watch in my mind.

My daily wearer is a ceramic Speedmaster on leather and I don't consider it a tool watch either. The leather band is too prone to damage along with the ceramic. My X-33 on titanium bracelet however, now that's a tool watch!

So a precious metal Speedmaster Professional is no longer a tool watch? Wouldn’t it actually be a really expensive tool watch? 😀
I don’t think a steel Rolex nowadays is a tool watch.

Rolex marketing is second to none.

Can you imagine, in 2020, people still believe that Rolex sells tool watches?

Rolex marketing is second to none indeed.

Omega sometimes loses their opportunities, just image that the 42 PO LM LE was not a limited edition…I will sell in a second my submariner to get that watch…instead they add more and more thickness to the PO line…an innocent mistake…

Omega sometimes loses their opportunities, just image that the 42 PO LM LE was not a limited edition…I will sell in a second my submariner to get that watch…instead they add more and more thickness to the PO line…an innocent mistake…
agreed Omega is giving Rolex alot of leeway,

its not just their Planet Oceans (which I completely agree by the way) but their Constellation line is such a waste, they still have their beautiful retro constellation watch designs, they can and should revive them and give them new life, the current line is just awful. the globemasters are a step in the right direction but they need to be more aggressive.

Also when it comes to their bracelets, they need to a major overhaul, my TAG bracelet is more comfortable than a Speedmaster or Seamaster bracelet.

let me not get started on their women's lineup, which they seem to have given up on.

Omega definitely need to slim their offerings down.

agreed Omega is giving Rolex alot of leeway,

its not just their Planet Oceans (which I completely agree by the way) but their Constellation line is such a waste, they still have their beautiful retro constellation watch designs, they can and should revive them and give them new life, the current line is just awful. the globemasters are a step in the right direction but they need to be more aggressive.

Also when it comes to their bracelets, they need to a major overhaul, my TAG bracelet is more comfortable than a Speedmaster or Seamaster bracelet.

let me not get started on their women's lineup, which they seem to have given up on.
Definitely agree as to the current Constellation line. I have two vintage Connies, a 1962 14900 and a 1964 167.005 and they are so much nicer than the contemporary models. The Globemaster is a step in the right direction. It resurrects the pie pan dial and adds a tungsten carbide scratch proof bezel and the caliber 8900 METAS certified master chronometer movement. It's an impressive watch, but the bracelet is a disappointment.

agreed there is so much History and prestige with the Constellation line but they've been made redundant, the whole line needs to be scrapped and overhauled. also making the watches bigger wont solve their problems.

It's interesting. If you set one brand against the other then Brand recognition alone will drive Rolex to the top because while most watch aficionados recognize both brands, non watch aficionados often, if not always, recognize Rolex but not necessarily Omega (exceptions like @kelsey above notwithstanding).

However, If you DON'T try to compare them side by side then it is easy to see that neither brand is struggling and they both have claim to notable achievements and Iconic status. So I think both brands will stay at the top of their respective games.

BUT, They are not both playing the same game:

Omega is part of a much much larger corporation, the Swiss Watch Group, and as such needs to meet the corporate and sales criteria of that corporation which may or may not serve the individual brand. Hence the double face of Omega, one aiming for high commercial success and the other (perhaps not as dominant today) geared towards continuing the advancement of the horological side of Omega and it's history. To analyze Omega today is the exact same exercise as analyzing other equally Iconic Brands that no longer serve their masters, but a larger holder: Breguet, Winston, Blancpain, Glashutte, Tissot, Longiness, Hamilton...and then Swatch, Calvin Klein, Certina....All part of the Swiss Watch Group

Rolex is not guided by such restrictions and can therefore choose better how much they venture outside of elements that feed directly into the brand perception.

There is no doubt the Swiss Watch Group is successful, but it's global commercial success somewhat dilutes it's affiliated brands. There is no doubt that Rolex is successful, although it's success may keep it from being as Globally available and commercial.

The Swiss Watch Group cannot afford to play coy since it's size alone needs a constant stream of cash tom support it. So it won't stop production of new models and versions.

The Rolex Group because if it's size is very much on the positive side of cashflow and cannot afford to dilute it's brand by over producing watches when, as stated above, they produce enough quantity as it is. It is the distribution that is at fault here, but all those overblown gray and secondary market watches have been purchased and paid for, so the brand is doing just fine. Should they police better their distribution? maybe, maybe they'll get to it some day but it's not exactly hurting them.

Definitely agree as to the current Constellation line. I have two vintage Connies, a 1962 14900 and a 1964 167.005 and they are so much nicer than the contemporary models. The Globemaster is a step in the right direction. It resurrects the pie pan dial and adds a tungsten carbide scratch proof bezel and the caliber 8900 METAS certified master chronometer movement. It's an impressive watch, but the bracelet is a disappointment.
+1 on the current Constellations.

I have multiple clients and a friend who own Rolex and don't even know what model they have or how to use them. A former work colleague owns a GMT Master. A couple of years ago, I asked him what GMT stood for, his response, "no idea". He wasn't even aware the bezel rotated. He's owned the watch over 20 years. I asked one client if he had on a GMT or a Submariner, his response, "not sure, it's a Rolex, what's the difference"? Asked another client if he was wearing a Sub or a Sea Dweller, his response, "just got it, bought it used, I don't know". I said "nice watch" to one client, and he said "thanks, it's a Submareener". I wanted to correct him, but didn't. Rolex are definitely aspirational!

Do you think all speedmaster owners know how to use a tachymeter, a PO GMT or a diving bezel?

seen that way I’d say a lot of luxury brands are aspirational.

I have multiple clients and a friend who own Rolex and don't even know what model they have or how to use them. A former work colleague owns a GMT Master. A couple of years ago, I asked him what GMT stood for, his response, "no idea". He wasn't even aware the bezel rotated. He's owned the watch over 20 years. I asked one client if he had on a GMT or a Submariner, his response, "not sure, it's a Rolex, what's the difference"? Asked another client if he was wearing a Sub or a Sea Dweller, his response, "just got it, bought it used, I don't know". I said "nice watch" to one client, and he said "thanks, it's a Submareener". I wanted to correct him, but didn't. Rolex are definitely aspirational!
Is a Submareena like a Morris Marina?

Do you think all speedmaster owners know how to use a tachymeter, a PO GMT or a diving bezel?

seen that way I’d say a lot of luxury brands are aspirational.
My point is they don't even know the model Rolex they own, or in at least one case, how to even pronounce the model. I'm certain this isn't representative of every Rolex owner, just thought I'd share my experiences, felt it was kind of funny. You certainly don't have to agree. Oh, I happen to know how to use the tachymeter on my Daytona and my Speedmaster.

I get it but my counterpoint is that just because you don’t care about the model or it’s function it does not take away the legitimacy of the purchase.

I’m not talking Rolex here, or any brand. My wife does not know the model number of any of her watches, she just likes them. She could not care less about the brand but just sees me browsing a store or a website and says ... oh I love that one!! That’s so cool!! And gets it.

she has Panerai, Cartier, Rolex, shinola , Hermes etc.

She’s legitimately buying and wearing what she likes. She’s not aspiring to anything or proving anything. She doesn’t even care if they have a battery or not ( other than the fact that I care when we buy them)

Is there anything wrong? does she need to know every function , name, model and history in order to legitimize her taste?

some people don’t care!
Edited: