The Canada Appreciation Thread

Locked
Posts
6,467
Likes
21,985
Pardon the pun, but Who's got their Guess Who tickets? I just bought tickets for me and the Mrs. I can't wait to see one of the greatest bands.
Who?

 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
Awesome! Back in the day, I attended three BTO concerts they were always outstanding.

Burton's voice is pure gold. It's absolutely ridiculous that The Guess Who is not in the Rock and Roll Hall Fame. They're far too busy adding non-rock musicians.

By the way, Don Felder from the Eagles will be opening up for The Guess Who. Doesn't get much better.
I agree that the RRHOF is pretty much a joke these days.

I've posted this before I think, but years ago when Burton was at an outdoor music festival I attended with many artists on the same day, Huey Lewis and the News was the closing act. But they came out second last - they said that they would not feel right being the closers with Burton on the bill, so they did their full act, plus encores, and then Burton closed the show. It was a great sign of respect for Burton.
 
Posts
1,462
Likes
6,725
I agree that the RRHOF is pretty much a joke these days.
I could not agree more. I've mentioned previously that Alex Lifeson's (Rush's guitar maestro and arguably rock's finest comedian) 'acceptance' speech at their 2013 RRHoF induction was a drumstick-sized middle finger to Rolling Stone publisher and RRHoF arbiter-in-chief, Jann Wenner.

It's a frikken scream to watch Lifeson 'discuss' the band's storied history (his bit starts at roughly 4:15) while mocking the imperious, bullshit-filled decision-making process of Wenner; the backstory of Wenner's hatred of progressive rock is key to the joke, including his lording over decisions of induction of many fine artists, notwithstanding the music fans' overwhelming support for a given act over the years. In the case of Rush, say, love them or not they enjoy over 50 years of unwavering dedication that any band (or company, service, organization etc.) would kill for. Six years after Neil's sad and untimely passing, their new tour has pretty much sold out worldwide.

The Guess Who not being in the RRHoF is indeed a travesty. Yet, in a weird way, NOT being in is a badge of honor. Alex knows.
 
Posts
405
Likes
2,076
Canadian are very appreciated here: Dieppe/ Normandie. In Memorial of „Opération Jubilee“, 19.8.1942.
Also other heroes, who gave their lives.

 
Posts
917
Likes
4,955
I attended the Guess Who concert last night. Wow! Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman were unbelievable. Randy still has his guitar and singing chops and Burton was absolutely fantastic and shared some fun stories. Burton said the Guess Who were the first Canadian band to receive a Gold Record. They played all their hit songs flawlessly and Randy played some BTO. Why the Guess Who aren't in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is beyond me. Don Felder of the Eagles opened up the concert so we were treated to some Eagles music to boot.
 
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
The one time I actually went to the Hall of Fame, I looked but did not find anything from Pink Floyd.
 
Posts
703
Likes
2,459
I attended the Guess Who concert last night. Wow! Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman were unbelievable. Randy still has his guitar and singing chops and Burton was absolutely fantastic and shared some fun stories. Burton said the Guess Who were the first Canadian band to receive a Gold Record. They played all their hit songs flawlessly and Randy played some BTO. Why the Guess Who aren't in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is beyond me. Don Felder of the Eagles opened up the concert so we were treated to some Eagles music to boot.
That’s great that they still sound good at their age. I love both bands. I saw both of them way back in ‘87 during my one summer in Toronto. Great show back then. I’m curious: where did you see them?

On a related topic, I’ll be seeing Rush this weekend.
 
Posts
917
Likes
4,955
I’m curious: where did you see them?
The Greek Theatre in Los Angeles. Sadly, there's a lot of musicians from the past who are touring that lip sync or screech. Burton, Randy and Don Felder don't fall into that category. They were fantastic. After all these years, it must be wonderful for them to look out see a sold-out theatre.
Edited:
 
Posts
536
Likes
3,758
This is a very nice thread. I didn't get to read all of it, but it's good to remind Canucks that even though far too many Americans are Voldemort fans, most of us prefer Dumbledore, and we WILL fix what has been broken. Sincerest apologies to Canada and the World. (most of it)
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
Canadian are very appreciated here: Dieppe/ Normandie. In Memorial of „Opération Jubilee“, 19.8.1942.
Also other heroes, who gave their lives.

Hallowed grounds indeed. My wife and I will be visiting this coming October. We’ll by staying close to this site in Petit Caux.
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
Why the Guess Who aren't in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is beyond me.
Murica…
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
Not sure what the problem is here...you need the thermos to keep it cold!



Canada, eh?
 
Posts
4,061
Likes
8,769
Not sure what the problem is here...you need the thermos to keep it cold!



Canada, eh?

Is this the Canadian equivalent of "Florida man?"
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
Is this the Canadian equivalent of "Florida man?"
Possibly but no one gets shot or eaten by an alligator...but beware the cobra chickens!