The Canada Appreciation Thread

Locked
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
We live in the centre of Sonoma County wine country and are seeing the effects of a perfect storm lashing the wine industry. Worldwide and nationwide wine consumption had already been declining over the past three years, resulting in the closure or consolidation of many smaller producers during the past two years. Then came the tariffs. Now immigration agents are chasing workers through the vineyards.
So much winning! 🤦

Honestly all this is hurting so many people who are just trying to make a living. We have had consolidation in the wine industry here as well. Luckily one of our favourite producers that was swallowed up has been able to retain their autonomy, so the product hasn't become more generic, which is always the risk when this sort of thing happens.

Up here we are coping the best we can - we are seeking trade with other countries, seeking closer military alliances with Europe and their rearming program, and we are slashing a lot of internal trade barriers - that should make it easier for me here in Ontario to get wine from British Columbia for example. Trying to find the small silver linings where I can...
 
Posts
3,433
Likes
9,113
Trying to find the small silver linings where I can...
Not only the wine industry up there. Another year. Another no Stanley Cup. The last team from Trump’s 51st state to win the Cup was the Canadiens in 1993.
 
Posts
18,736
Likes
38,885
I didn't know whether to post this in the joke thread or here.................

I hope the Candadian Defence Force don't see this, it could cause a nation-wide shortages of oranges.

 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
Current reigning MVP's in the NHL, MLB, and the NBA...



All Canadians...
 
Posts
11,003
Likes
54,944
I used to vacation a lot in Canada made some friends with cigar store owners. I was there on a quicker work trip as Canada had a program going for addicts who needs to use opiates post surgery. They can be treated and tapered in what looked like a very nice hotel like setting. I think the program has been expanded for opiate addicts to use “safely”. I won’t go into detail as it’s another’s country’s program and they can do as they see fit as far as I’m concerned we were just looking at the medical part.

Anyway I was once an avid cigar smoker. I traded some of my precious for watches but was recently hooked up with another rare load including my once favorite partagas series D limited with tobacco aged since 2003. Makes me sing Oh Canada. The packages often include Cuban coffee which I enjoy and makes me think of sitting in an outside cafe in Montreal watching the hustle and bustle as I vacationed.
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
Thanks for everyone who suggested dino activities for my family!

We are just wrapping up a great vacation - we spent a couple days in the Drumheller area going to the Royal Tyrell Museum and went on a kid-friendly fossil hunting hike in Dinosaur Provincial Park.



Then, we did all the touristy stuff in Banff.



Overall, it was a great trip. This was the 3rd Canadian vacation that I've done by riding on my wife's coattails. Now, she just needs to find another arts residency to apply to in another part of Canada.

Edit: forgot to include a watch pic. Mostly just wore the X-33 and a Seiko 5126 the whole time.

 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
Then, we did all the touristy stuff in Banff.
Ah yes the glacier thing - we did that back in 1989 on our honeymoon. I'm quite sure the glacier has receded significantly from back then.

Glad you had a good trip!
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
Ah yes the glacier thing - we did that back in 1989 on our honeymoon. I'm quite sure the glacier has receded significantly from back then.

Glad you had a good trip!

The glacier tour was a highlight, but also was tempered by knowing how quickly it is receding. The current estimate is that the Athabasca Glacier will gone in ~40-50 years.

I did try drinking the runoff that's been locked in the glacier for ~100K+ years. It tasted just like super old ice from the back of the freezer.
 
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
Almost forgot another Canadian hero. I’ve been to the Musee Gilles Villeneuve in Quebec.

 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,156
I did try drinking the runoff that's been locked in the glacier for ~100K+ years. It tasted just like super old ice from the back of the freezer.
Be careful there! Drinking glacier runoff is how Ötzi got to look like this.....

 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
Be careful there! Drinking glacier runoff is how Ötzi got to look like this.....


I thought it was the arrow wound?

I did briefly weight the odds of getting some recently unthawed ancient parasite. I'll keep y'all updated.
 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
I did briefly weight the odds of getting some recently unthawed ancient parasite. I'll keep y'all updated.
Back in the day, they said "Take a sip but don't drink too much!"

Mine was a very small sip indeed...
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197

Next up DSloan, a trip to the Yukon and the Sour Toe cocktail.


 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
Back in the day, they said "Take a sip but don't drink too much!"

Mine was a very small sip indeed...

Lol, they were telling people to fill out water bottles, and many did so.

I sipped from my hand then sort of spit most of it out.


Next up DSloan, a trip to the Yukon and the Sour Toe cocktail.



Holy Moly, I really have a lot learn about Canadian cuisine. There's so much more to it than poutine, apparently.
 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
Next up DSloan, a trip to the Yukon and the Sour Toe cocktail.
Don't swallow it like that one git did!!!
 
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
Tried to get to Dawson a few years ago, but there were fires. I think mostly accelerated by invasive beetles, no doubt a result of climate change.
 
Posts
7,059
Likes
13,026
Pilots flying Trans-Atlantic surely like the sight of Goose Bay in Newfoundland / Labrador in CANADA !
.
 
Posts
442
Likes
2,082
Next up DSloan, a trip to the Yukon and the Sour Toe cocktail.

I asked the guy if any toes get swallowed, what do they do? One or two every year, they just get new ones, lol.

In other words, a great marketing scheme, no real toes!


Here's me in Dawson City on a Yukon and Alaska trip there with my son.

Edited: