The Canada Appreciation Thread

Locked
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
Thanks for all the dino suggestions, everyone! We're gonna see if we can rent a car and check some of these out.

Hopefully we'll be able to report back with new things we appreciate about Canada and what watches were required for the trip 😁.
 
Posts
1,853
Likes
4,464
Thanks. After all the news organizations "called it" the lead narrowed to just 2 seats at one stage, but this morning things have shaken out so that although this is not a majority government, it's a very strong minority.

The Liberals have 168, Cons 144, Bloc 23, NDP 7, and Greens 1.

With the Liberals having a 24 seat lead, and the Bloc only having 23 seats, this means that it would take 3 parties voting together to bring down the government*. Still possible, but much more unlikely than the results earlier in the night would indicate. We'll have to see what Pierre Poilievre does since he has vowed to stay on as Conservative party leader, but then went on to lose his own seat. His party had big gains over the last election, but leading from outside parliament would be difficult as opposition leader.

* - the speaker is usually chosen from the governing party, so the Liberals will drop a seat effectively, but the speaker can vote in the event of a tie.
Thank you for the insiders view, not something that I have read in our parochial media here in the UK. Just a ‘win’ is what I had understood.
 
Posts
3,433
Likes
9,113
The Liberals have 168, Cons 144, Bloc 23, NDP 7, and Greens 1.
Which party did you vote for?
 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
Which party did you vote for?
I vote for candidates, not parties.

I certainly didn't vote for the candidate who espoused homophobic, Islamophobic, and misogynist views, and who doesn't even live in the riding he is trying to represent (he said he would only move here if he won). I didn't vote for this candidate who was undemocratically parachuted into this riding by the party leader (who he just happened to author a flattering book about), very much against the wishes of the local riding association. I didn't vote for this candidate who failed to attend all four of the all candidates meetings/debates. I'll let you guess the party he represents.

Of course despite all this, that candidate won...with 50% of the vote.
 
Posts
2,347
Likes
18,704
Whoa, I didn't realize the Burgess Shale was so close! I'd love to check that out, but I can just hear my kid now, "but there's no therapods! I want late Cretaceous megafauna, not Anomalocaris fossils!"
Burgess Shale is not just a show up and walk in.....have to book in advance as it is a protected area and only limited number of visitors per day. Here's a pic of Emerald Lake last week, just up the road.
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
Burgess Shale is not just a show up and walk in.....have to book in advance as it is a protected area and only limited number of visitors per day. Here's a pic of Emerald Lake last week, just up the road.
Yes, thanks for making sure I saw that. It also appears that it is not an easy hike. Definitely something to consider on a future trip with my kid when he's older, if he's still interested in this sort of thing. I may have to settle for a local hike and bringing a copy of the Stephen Jay Gould book with me.

The surrounding landscape looks amazing!
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,836
Yes, thanks for making sure I saw that. It also appears that it is not an easy hike. Definitely something to consider on a future trip with my kid when he's older, if he's still interested in this sort of thing. I may have to settle for a local hike and bringing a copy of the Stephen Jay Gould book with me.

The surrounding landscape looks amazing!
You haven’t seen Emerald Lake until you see it during the summer!

 
Posts
7,775
Likes
14,368
Burgess Shale is not just a show up and walk in.....have to book in advance as it is a protected area and only limited number of visitors per day. Here's a pic of Emerald Lake last week, just up the road.
Still frozen over in mid-April. Wife and I used to walk around Emerald lake when we visited the Banff and Whitefish, MT areas in the summer (usually August). Sunny on the west side where avalanches occur, then in deep shade on the other side. Not too long of a walk, about 60-90 minutes, used to stop to eat lunch half way around. Well worth the effort.
 
Posts
7,775
Likes
14,368
You haven’t seen Emerald Lake until you see it during the summer!

That's Moraine Lake, no? That view is known as the "20 Dollar View" as it was used on the back of the $20 bill.
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,836
That's Moraine Lake, no? That view is known as the "20 Dollar View" as it was used on the back of the $20 bill.
I found that image which was entitled Emerald Lake. But now that I look at it, you could be correct that it is Moraine Lake. Another must in a tourist itinerary.
 
Posts
3,785
Likes
6,442
Along the Northcoast of BC, we have a kind of small fish called oolichan. We smoke them and eat all year round.
Cheers.

 
Posts
442
Likes
2,082
You have fun birds to watch, even if they do shit everywhere.

Ever since we stopped production of the Avro Arrow this is our only Canadian made Air Force fighter plane.
Edited:
 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
I really never bought US wine (we already drink mostly Canadian and Australian wines) but lots of Canadians did. Imports to Canada, the largest market for US wine, has plummeted to put it mildly…

Lots of other countries are importing less, and a few importing more. I guess we’ll see if this new deal comes together and we get back to something resembling normal on the trade front. Hoping for the best, but not optimistic…
 
Posts
970
Likes
4,491
And we Australians are happy to sell Canadians more wine...
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
I would have thought, of all places, France would be the least excited about US wine. What's going on there?
 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
I would have thought, of all places, France would be the least excited about US wine. What's going on there?
Yeah, the first time I saw this chart I thought the same, but although it's a big increase, it's a small actual, amount. But it is odd in some ways...
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
Related: I love your new avatar @Archer. I'm hoping we can soon get back on a timeline that includes less jingoism and corruption and more mutually beneficial trade.
 
Posts
5,595
Likes
54,761
We live in the centre of Sonoma County wine country and are seeing the effects of a perfect storm lashing the wine industry. Worldwide and nationwide wine consumption had already been declining over the past three years, resulting in the closure or consolidation of many smaller producers during the past two years. Then came the tariffs. Now immigration agents are chasing workers through the vineyards.