The Aviators Thread

Posts
1,823
Likes
3,552
@Duracuir1
No worries, and thank you for keeping people safe.
For some reason, your reply reminds me of an old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon in which there was a Mountie who couldn't arrest someone because it was a woman. When asked why, he said "We always get our man!" ::rimshot::
 
Posts
23
Likes
98
Must be a lightweight waterbag for fire-fighting !
May I ask what this object is?
Correct. It's a Bambi bucket, connected to a long line. Used in wildland fire suppression to cool down the flanks of a target so handcrews can safely access and extinguish.
 
Posts
3,451
Likes
35,215
A couple of adverts. Look to be the size of the old LIFE magazines.

 
Posts
1,823
Likes
3,552
A couple of adverts. Look to be the size of the old LIFE magazines.

Love it.
Was reading the basic requirements for Naval Aviator recruits. I'd fall short on a couple of them. I'm of dubious reputation 🤣
Interesting that the Navy can specify that you have to be unmarried. Don't know if that would still be legal in today's Navy. I dare say that there would be a lot of potential recruits in their early to mid 20s that would be married (especially during that era), so the Navy would be missing out on a big talent pool.
 
Posts
6,703
Likes
79,929
A couple of adverts. Look to be the size of the old LIFE magazines.


Yeppers, Steve…I have the first one that you posted…

 
Posts
6,703
Likes
79,929
@Mad Dog
There ya go. You can keep your G-1. But only if you separated from the Service under "honorable conditions". This document is dated 2018 but I dare say that the rules would have been the same back in 1992 when you ceased active duty. Cheers!
https://www.secnav.navy.mil/doni/Directives/10000 General Material and Equipment Support/10-100 Personnel Material Support/10126.4E.pdf
I dunno. In 1992, the USN wanted it back…and I left active duty with an honorable discharge…BUT…I left active duty two years early and had my commitment extended to 1998 where I served in a non-flying capacity in either the IRR or as a SELRES…maybe that’s why they wanted it back.
 
Posts
1,000
Likes
1,815
The news story of the CFB commander was a bit disturbing. Just think, one of my former COs could have been an axe wielding serial killer 🤔
Duracuir1:
Thanks for the info. 33 year career between RCMP and OPP (Ontario Provincial Police, and met the OPP colleagues who investigated Col Williams).
I watched his police interviews on YouTube, a month or so ago. (Top one).
They already knew it was him.
There's another that's 2 hours +!
Edited:
 
Posts
6,703
Likes
79,929
Pair of Chinooks on layover to Alaska. Nice machines to look at, less fun to fly in.
We USN rotorheads call them “shithooks”. USN doesn’t fly them but USA does…so it was a way for us USN rotorheads to make fun of those USA “shithook” rotorheads. All in fun! Also, USN and USMC used to fly something similar to the “shithook” which was the CH-46 Sea Knight.
 
Posts
6,703
Likes
79,929
…less fun to fly in.
Let me give it the old college try. Hydraulic fluid all over the deck inside the helo???
 
Posts
18,746
Likes
38,894
Or sitting on the deck with two burnin'n'turnin waiting for the duty crew to turn up with a fire hose to attend to the droop stops that aren't stopping the droops.
 
Posts
23
Likes
98
Let me give it the old college try. Hydraulic fluid all over the deck inside the helo???
Aha, thankfully those weren't my ride today. But if there wasn't i'd probably be more concerned. Somehow I got stuck in the back of a 206 today. Not sure of that's a blessing or a curse.
 
Posts
7,067
Likes
13,035
They're called "aviators" because pilots are captains of a tug boat pulling or guiding a larger ship into a harbor...
🙄
.