Forums Latest Members
  1. Twocats Married... with children Jun 16, 2022

RH seat crew member is also known as a - Gear up, Flaps up, Shut up.....

Omegafanman and DoctorEvil like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2022

Fortunately that's changed over the years following some horrific accidents attributed to the 1st officer being ignored or over ruled by the captain. I like to think that CRM is rigidly adhered to in every aircraft I have to fly in.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  3. Twocats Married... with children Jun 16, 2022

It has changed in most places but there are still regions and countries where CRM like safety regulations are "to be seen to be in compliance with" where as the reality is a very different scenario.

4. 64Wing Jun 16, 2022

It's a doll, great times, great equipment. Very well taken care of. Should do nicely for the new owner

5. Dug Jun 17, 2022

Interesting to compare prices across the pond!
    Not currently getting airborne myself but friends at our base in Nottingham report that 100LL prices are spiraling here too.

Factoring US/Imperial gallon conversion and £/s exchange rates we're paying the equivalent of approx $12.40 / USgal.
    Government taxes account for a large slice of that though..... hasn't it always been so?

Jones in LA likes this.
  6. Omegafanman Jun 25, 2022

I am still researching a few RAF pilot watch stories (all as a hobby / not for profit) the historical stories are taking a while to finalise although I was at Duxford today and met some Lancaster aircrew (all approaching the 100 mark now) which was a real privilege.
    In the meantime while finalising those stories I have been chatting to some modern pilots which still link back to my WW2 research.
    My second article got published today:-

https://www.fratellowatches.com/flying-with-a-modern-warbird-pilot/

31982FF1-5462-4D07-BFE8-D33427488C86.jpeg
    zhark, Duracuir1, Dash1 and 7 others like this.
  7. Twocats Married... with children Jun 25, 2022

Great article, it encompasses my two passions in life and when you throw in warbirds its extra special. I worked on the RedBull T6 and its a big aircraft when you get up close to it. The P51s, Spitfires, Hurricanes and Corsairs get all the glory but the T6 was a beast of burden in its day.

Dash1 and Omegafanman like this.
  8. DoctorEvil Jun 25, 2022

Fantastic article and great photos too. What I love about these warbirds is that it's living history. You can touch, hear, smell and see how they fly and what they would have been like back in their heyday. They're not like some artifact stuck in a display case. Andy Goodall is definitely living the dream and good on him. I'm so envious. His Laco watch reminds me a little of the IWC "big crown" pilots watch. From memory, I read somewhere that the original Luftwaffe issued IWC watch was BIG (55mm case diameter) so as to help legibility and it could be strapped to the pilot's thigh.

Omegafanman likes this.
  9. Omegafanman Jun 26, 2022

I got to see an original in Amsterdam a few years back (Laco I think) 55mm B-Uhr Type B. It was a huge watch on a thick original leather wrist strap. Andy also mentioned German pilots using thigh straps and someone was looking for a photo on MWR. I have seen photos with a compass or altimeter on a thigh strap but have not found one of a watch. Some pilots also removed or had spare instrument panel clocks which again could be on a thigh strap I recall reading. It makes sense given the orientation when flying and a need to keep hands free in combat.

73401ADC-E5F7-4217-9688-CF93DE64A04F.jpeg 68CB3CEA-2B60-4AA7-A0DD-E9BD7D7673F7.jpeg
    Duracuir1, Mad Dog, Twocats and 3 others like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 26, 2022

Interesting to see that the tail of the strap is "split" and secured at the tip.
    In effect, a closed strap which was probably designed to reduce the risk of the watch being dropped when it was being put on the wrist.

11. Omegafanman Jun 26, 2022

The main event was inside / there was not much flying at Duxford yesterday. But I did see this lovely B17 just before it took off.
    The 2-seat Spitfire was in action as always. I also met someone from Airfix. The kits cost a lot more than I recall paying as a kid but I guess that is inflation for you. They look stunning when made by an expert.

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.jpg 04.JPG
    Valisk_61, Duracuir1, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  12. DoctorEvil Jun 26, 2022

An airworthy B-17. Now that's something special. I'd love to see the inside of it.

Turpinr likes this.
  13. Jones in LA Not in LA anymore. Jun 26, 2022

Loved the article, thanks for all the effort!

Turpinr and Omegafanman like this.
  14. Omegafanman Jun 27, 2022

It is G-BEDF Sally B. The only airworthy B17 left in Europe. Yes would be amazing to get a look around her.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  15. Turpinr Jun 27, 2022

When my dad built my first airfix kit in 1964, the Spitfires and other small kits (1/72 scale) were 2/6d and the Lancs and Halifaxes were 7/6d but I only got the bigger ones at xmas and birthdays.
    The Flying Fortress is the pics looks amazing, a very graceful looking aeroplane

Omegafanman likes this.
  16. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jun 27, 2022

1977 Rolex GMT Master and 1964 Omega Ed White posing in the pointy end of a B-737-800 [or maybe a -900…hard to keep track these days]…

D5323B30-7C76-4166-AB40-1CE10DDA5B99.jpeg

17. DoctorEvil Jun 27, 2022

Great pic of two watches with strong connections to the aerospace industry. You're a lucky guy if they're both yours. On closer inspection the GMT Master looks like it's had quite an active life. I'll bet it could tell quite a few stories! The crystal looks scratched so I'm guessing it's Plexiglas? Wonder when the GMT finally switched to sapphire.

Omegafanman and Mad Dog like this.
  18. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jun 27, 2022

The GMT Master belongs to the other pilot [the captain]…he inherited it from his grandfather who wore it while flying as a pilot at Eastern Air Lines. I believe you are correct regarding it having Plexiglass but I’m not sure when the switch occurred.

DoctorEvil and Omegafanman like this.
  19. MRC Jun 27, 2022

I have been in the rear fuselage but not the cockpit. That was over 30 years ago on a private tour of Aircraft Restoration Company's workshops arranged for the local Lotus restorer and all his employees. Graham Warner (founder of ARC) had been a Lotus dealer & racer in the past of course and he & John Romain shared a Lotus Elan restored in Cambridge from rather a relic. So strings were pulled :D

I do know someone who knows Elly Sallingboe (owner of Sally B, and also a resident of Cambridgeshire) so I could possibly make enquiries to get you in there.

DoctorEvil, Twocats and Omegafanman like this.
  20. Omegafanman Jun 27, 2022

Yes please - Would be great to get some pictures / feature something for American crews and as you know we have a lot of memorials around here. I am meeting someone who is still on active service (USAF) soon to discuss more modern options, so that would tie in well (drop me a PM if it is possible :0)

Edited Jun 28, 2022