Forums Latest Members
  1. Longbow Dec 20, 2021

Sounds about right for an HP blade or disk in the middle of a large multi-spool engine, but this one looks like a single spool turbo-jet.
    So I’m guessing VIGV actuation malfunction (or complete failure), wrong compressor blade angle of attack, compressor stall, flow reversal, LP blade(s) failure/ingestion; whatever the root cause…it’s coopers ducks for that engine.

Twocats, 64Wing and DoctorEvil like this.
  2. Longbow Dec 20, 2021

Waltesefalcon and Omegafanman like this.
  3. 64Wing Dec 20, 2021

Old world, yes...this was on a Falcon 20 with no fancy equipment haha the other engine had plenty of power to get up, clean up, and come back around.

Twocats likes this.
  4. DoctorEvil Dec 21, 2021

Thanks for posting this video. Very informative and a good "step by step" explanation on how a compressor stall occurs. A bit long but worth the time.

Longbow likes this.
  5. Omegafanman Dec 23, 2021

A bit of a long shot but is anyone able to identify this turbine blade or suggest the best way to track it down (engine / stage). I am thinking it will be from a Rolls Royce engine. Cheers and merry Xmas all.

01 - Copy.jpg 02 - Copy.jpg 03 - Copy.jpg 04 - Copy.jpg
    Longbow likes this.
  6. Twocats Married... with children Dec 23, 2021

On thé surface of the root there should be a part number, tell me the part number and I will check our engine databank.

Longbow and Omegafanman like this.
  7. Omegafanman Dec 23, 2021

Good spot and you are not wrong....Looks like B932819/6. Thanks for the quick help.

Root - Copy.jpg
    Longbow and Twocats like this.
  8. Omegafanman Dec 23, 2021

@Twocats - Looks like it might be an Olympus engine blade (Concorde and Avro Vulcan). That will make it special for me as there is some family history which I can no longer cross check. I never thought to check the root / my eyesight is not the best without a loop. Thanks again and let me know it you can get an exact match.

Scarecrow Boat, Longbow and Twocats like this.
  9. Twocats Married... with children Dec 23, 2021

Yep, it’s coming up as Concorde applicable. Very nice piece to have.

Its a sixth stage compressor blade. The fir tree root is normally reserved for the turbine section but Rolls being Rolls always wanted to do it differently. Most other engine OEMs use a dove tail system in compressor and fir tree in turbine.

Scarecrow Boat and Omegafanman like this.
  10. Omegafanman Dec 23, 2021

Great info, many thanks. The recent engine failure post and being near Xmas got me digging into some family relics, so an already sentimental item just got even more special :0)

64Wing, Longbow and Twocats like this.
  11. Twocats Married... with children Dec 23, 2021

I collect turbine engine desktop models, and I have one of these blades in a framed photo signed by the BA Concorde chief pilot and Rod Eddington the then CEO of BA. There is a bunch of stuff always for sale on e-bay but its mostly crap.

12. Omegafanman Dec 23, 2021

More engine fun. Now you have got me rummaging. I think I do know what this one is and again it has similar sentimental value / some family history. I do not think this has any markings or ID. It is Military and from a slightly later project if I am right. It is about 5.5cm long.

B02 - Copy.jpg
    Longbow likes this.
  13. Longbow Dec 23, 2021

Nice! Complete with film cooling holes.

Omegafanman likes this.
  14. Twocats Married... with children Dec 23, 2021

There will normally be an identifying part number either stamped or engraved somewhere on the root. Clean it with Jet A1 or petrol and a toothbrush and something will appear.

It actually looks like someone used an engraver to remove the numbers in the area between the root of the blade and the top of the fir tree. This area will normally never show signs of rubbing or wear so I am guessing in order to give then as gift or souvenirs the identifying number needed to be removed.

as @Longbow mentions, the leading edge and training edge has cooling holes. On modern blades there are multiple cooling holes across both faces of the blade. the NGV (Nozzle Guide Vanes) are the fixed airfoil between the rotating airfoils who have similar holes and air is ducted from the engine and forced through the hollow center to cool the airfoils, normally the cooling air is about 250c temp.

A CFM56-7B (737-800) has 80 T1 blades and each blade in overhauled condition will set you back $10-14,000.00 per blade depending on market availability. Generally you will get 25000 hours and one overhaul before they scrap out, its an expensive business.

DoctorEvil, Longbow and Omegafanman like this.
  15. Omegafanman Dec 23, 2021

Thanks. I am out now but will have a look tomorrow.

Twocats likes this.
  16. Longbow Dec 23, 2021

Ah Concorde, I have vivid memories of walking out onto the port wing of G-BBDG (202). I was fascinated by the fact that when you tapped its surface it didn’t ring like metal, it made a sort of dull thud and felt more like ceramic.

It was stored in the same hangar as British Aerospace’s BAC1-11 G-ASYD R&D Flight test aircraft (I was working on it at the time), on the far side of the Filton airfield (not accessible for public view) minus tail which was removed prior to being put in the hangar.

One of the guys added some photos to the system installation report which show Concorde towering over “Yankee-Delta”.
    529A6978-D399-4947-BCC5-FBBD1F6A89EE.jpeg

Valisk_61, Omegafanman and Twocats like this.
  17. Twocats Married... with children Dec 23, 2021

G-ASYD has a really interesting history when you google her. I saw a photo of the cockpit and there is a beautiful mechanical 8 day clock on the Captains panel lower left but I can't see what's written on it.

In your photo it looks like the photo was taken mid gear swing... with the spoilers deployed and the flaps up and clean, the cockpit must have been like a Christmas tree :)

Omegafanman and Longbow like this.
  18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 23, 2021

Noticed this on the Daily Mail, I would certainly never call it a newspaper but that is another story ::facepalm2::

Imperial War Museum Duxford and the largest gathering of different models of Spitfires.

Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 21.31.43.png

19. DoctorEvil Dec 24, 2021

Very nice.

20. DoctorEvil Dec 24, 2021

$10,000 per blade? Wow! What are they made of?
    Each engine must be worth millions.

Longbow, Omegafanman and Twocats like this.