Forums Latest Members
  1. sierra11b Dec 4, 2019

Couldn't think of a more appropriate forum to ask this question...

Yes, I lurk mostly with this forum (thank you all for my trials and tributes here with my watches; especially with my Skywalker), and while my handle is the same throughout all watch forums for many years, I come to you with a watch from my cousin, a unique Constellation during Thanksgiving...

I found the watch rather unique as a late 60's early and early 70's inheritance constellation owner myself, and need advice as I don't know reference, bracelet reference (if any), for this watch. It's all 18Kt gold (at least the bracelet), and the lugs and dial have be perplexed, although the head feels like 18kt, too.

I'm thinking it's an early example but the dial has me baffled. ..I will say that his side of the family is rather well-off and, according to him, this watch was from Lassies' (yes, the dog) Hollywood agent and gifted to his family. I told him "cool story'brah", and said I'd try to get answers here on the watch itself.

Any information would be appreciated.
    -Eric

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Samir, omegasaso12 and noelekal like this.
  2. Geezer Dec 4, 2019

Seems to be a 2782 2799 case from the 50's, but there are experts here who will know much better than me.

The dial is has been repainted, which is unfortunate. Also, the crown is not original and the 18k bracelet was not made by Omega.

Overall, a pretty cool watch but a shame about the dial. The case seems to be in quite a good condition.

Samir and sierra11b like this.
  3. Walrus Dec 4, 2019

You have a better eye than me I can’t see it well enough to say it’s a redial

Samir and noelekal like this.
  4. sierra11b Dec 4, 2019

Thank you. I thought either very rare dial or what you said given that I couldn’t find any other examples. Yes, about the watch head... the observatory is rather crisp.

Any on idea of era or origin reference it originally started as?

5. sierra11b Dec 4, 2019

The plot thickens. Thing is I don’t think the original owners, given the so-called pegidree, would have given a damn about redial, and especially given the fact I think the watch (overall) is unserviced as it’s crisp. But who knows? I appreciate the first response for certain. Thank you.

The only thing is that bracelet... It’s 18kt but what in the hell is it? Is it early omega or something else? This is the only part that really gives me pause and possibly explains when the original owner had it re-dialed.

Samir likes this.
  6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 4, 2019

Looks like first generation connie ref. 2648 with a refinished dial and replacement crown.

Mods, Geezer and kyle L like this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 4, 2019

I had to play with a photograph to get a feel for the dial. It does appear to be a redial, exhibiting alignment problems with both lettering and words.

proxy.jpg

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 4, 2019

Could have been added as an aftermarket addition when it was purchased at a jeweler. I agree about the dial and crown.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 4, 2019

This is how this watch left the factory - ref. 2648 in 18k YG::

[​IMG]

chronoboy64, aprax, Vitezi and 7 others like this.
  10. Geezer Dec 4, 2019

Thanks guys, for the correction on the case reference.

11. sierra11b Dec 5, 2019

Thank you everyone!

12. sierra11b Dec 5, 2019

I actually have some more questions as he's considering selling, but I'm trying to convince him to keep...

He has mortadella sized wrists so the strap-style bracelet doesn't fit. I'm suggesting he sell the bracelet and get it serviced as is considering it's not a terrible redial, and then possibly finding the original crown if money permits.

How hard would it be to find the original crown? I reckon easier than finding the dial... Like all watch forums, I know appraisals aren't tolerated, but would appreciate some direction via PM on value as is and potential options.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 5, 2019

Finding a nice original dial is near impossible and the crown almost as hard. These are parts unique to ref. 2648 - the dial being slightly larger than later cal. 352/354 connies and the crown slightly smaller.