Forums Latest Members

Test for everyone. Is this an omega redial ?

1. Kargol Nov 13, 2019

Hi friends,
    I would like to start a thread, trying to help me and others, when buying vintage watches.
    Please reply to this points:
    1. Look at the photo for just some seconds. What is your first thought? Is it a redial? Please just look for some seconds and reply immediately.
    2. Take a good look at the photo. If you think it’s a redial can you indicate why? Please write more reasons than one.
    3. If this is a redial do you think is a good job?

34E7FD4C-3124-4182-8A78-C2E066F7D733.jpeg

Brisco likes this.
  2. michael22 Nov 13, 2019

Of course it is.
    Why "just a few seconds." I usually study things for minutes, & then have another go the next day.

Benbradstock and Kargol like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 13, 2019

1) Redial
    2) The omega script is too close to possibly glued on Symbol
    3) no

4. Kargol Nov 14, 2019

I like full replies!!

5. larryganz The cable guy Nov 14, 2019

1) redial
    2) placement of applied Omega logo to close to Omega text, thick and wiggly Swiss Made text, several tick marks don't line up with the applied hour markers, etc
    3) low end of fair - I've seen worse, and I've seen better

6. Kargol Nov 14, 2019

I really appreciate your time my friend. Thank you !

7. Davidt Nov 14, 2019

Redial.

All the print, minute markers and letters are too thick and clumsy.
    Subdial markers are not central to the subdial.

No it's not a good one.

Badwolf, MCC and Kargol like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 14, 2019

Immediate impression as soon as I saw it was redial.

7 and 8 markers jumped out at me, as di the heavy print etc etc etc.

Waltesefalcon and Kargol like this.
  9. DeepBlue Nov 14, 2019

Redial, the omega symbol is too close to the text.

Kargol likes this.
  10. w154 Nov 14, 2019

Redial... pretty easy to judge in literally a second or two.

Kargol likes this.
  11. bubba48 Nov 14, 2019

Not a redial but...a very bad redial

12. Kargol Nov 14, 2019

Thank you all for your replies.
    I will keep posting dials in my possession. Please keep
    It coming!

89-0 likes this.
  13. FREDMAYCOIN Nov 14, 2019

Redial, Among all the other observation, the “Swiss made”. Is very sloppy.

Kargol likes this.
  14. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 14, 2019

Well, this is plainly a redial, but I don't know if these questions really help...

Learning to spot redials is difficult at first and then after you've looked at thousands and thousands of images as well of legit vintage dials (the WRUW thread here would be the best place to start) and ideally held many in your hands, spotting redials becomes an instant reaction rather than a "checklist of things to look for" type of exercise.

It should be as obvious to you as identifying which one of the images below is the photo of Emma Stone and which is the drawing of that photo (image was the first google result when I searched "Celebrity cartoon"):
    Russian-artist-draws-chic-portraits-cartoons-of-celebrities-58d4e5f43ee5f__700.jpg

Asking us to give reasons why the redial is a redial is like asking why the drawing of the photo isn't a photo....Yes there are reasons we can list but it's exhausting and not necessary to do so. Giving a detailed response is really only helpful for this redial, as the next one might have less sloppy SWISS MADE text or better spacing between the logo and text.

The answer to this is almost always no. There are some redials that are so hard to spot that they spark debate from experienced members, but if most of us just see it immediately - like the cartoon vs. the photo - it isn't one of those.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 14, 2019

@Kargol we sat your test
    So your test now is to find the original dial to this re-dial

16. Kargol Nov 14, 2019

Hi my friend and thank you for you reply.
    Not all vintage lovers are so experienced, so I think these questions help a lot. Especially when experienced owners give two or three points that someone should watch for to spot a redial .
    I think your example of the cartoon and the real actor are not good examples. I am sure that there are tens of people here who would see this dial in a watch and will not notice this is a redial. It’s not so easy to spot it if you see the whole watch, and when the photos are not so great. Believe me I can place one of these redials I have in place, take a really nice and “professional” photo, and then even you might start wondering.

I hope my words are not misunderstood. My intention is always to help , and not reply like an expert.

my best,
    Panos

17. Kargol Nov 14, 2019

That’s a nice project. !!

STANDY likes this.
  18. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 14, 2019

I get that. And the best way to become experienced is to pore over images of real, original watches. Their are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of such images, all available for you to study, for free, right here on this site. In the meantime ask away on examples you come across, but asking about an individual redial in a vacuum - without the correct/original one to compare it to - is not an efficient shortcut to gaining that experience.

DaveK, Vitezi and Kargol like this.
  19. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 14, 2019

Disagree. There are eBay sellers out there that sell high volume of redialed rubbish based on that approach, but it doesn't make the redials more difficult to spot.

20. Kargol Nov 14, 2019

My friend Andy,
    I also get you point. However when you buy a watch you will almost never have the opportunity to compare it with an original. I am surprised that you guys are insisting on criticising my post, instead of looking at what inexperienced buyer might get from a few of you replies about thickness of minute ticks, distance of Omega Logo, and other points that have been mentioned in this thread.