Forums Latest Members
  1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 17, 2019

Are you willing to disclose the agreed-to selling price for the CK2998? Just curious how good a 'deal' it may be, where there have been a few sold on OF in the $5,000 USD range lately.

2. WYO_Watch Jan 17, 2019

3. Wryfox Jan 17, 2019

I guarantee you will learn alot more about ebay as a seller than you ever did as a buyer. But its still worth it. The terms are actually far better than they used to be. I was one of the earliest registered sellers, all the way back to 1997.

Joe_A likes this.
  4. i20rider Jan 17, 2019

The man has a point I always take 18 friends with me to situations like this it's not worth the risk

5. Faz Jan 17, 2019

Lust + complicated deal = NO DEAL.

Patiently wait for a reputable seller and a straight forward deal to come.

bardamu likes this.
  6. kippyk Jan 17, 2019

Tell your friends in Frankfort to load up on cash and then go to the Dracula Nightclub at 2am to meet with Vlad who will complete the transaction.

[​IMG]

asrnj77 and WYO_Watch like this.
  7. Wryfox Jan 17, 2019

I stand on someone else's shoulders and wear a really long coat.......its quite imposing.
    5a8f06407708e97153049d49-320-240.jpg

8. ArtVandlay Jan 17, 2019

@WYO_Watch, Not sure what part of Wyoming you're at (Cheyenne or Laramie) but that watch pops up occasionally at a dealer in Denver (easy enough to find with some searching so as not to violate rules). Also love the state, I spend as much time as I can up in Alcova on the reef fly fishing or Saratoga on the Platte. Good luck in your search.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

How about just say ..

[​IMG]

10. Dan S Jan 17, 2019

I don't see a reason for you to take extra risk. If he was willing to sell it on eBay and receive funds via PayPal, then he should be willing to sell it via PayPal directly with no additional complications. He would be saving the eBay fees and taking no more risk. Why would he want to wait even long to get his money by splitting up the payments? It's very suspicious.

11. i20rider Jan 17, 2019

Hahaha

12. Andreas Jan 17, 2019

we can't see the watch in that photo so i sent him a message as well.
    from the pic he send me we can see clearly that he actually has the watch in his possession

scm1.jpg
    superfly and WYO_Watch like this.
  13. WYO_Watch Jan 17, 2019

Nice! I live less than a mile from the Platte in Casper. Have you ever fished the reef?

As far as the watch is concerned. Rest assured I was never planning to separate payments nor wait for payments to clear. My concern was really whether I should try to coordinate a meetup - which someone has graciously said they wouldnt mind doing. I will not be sending any money to this guy without having a watch in hand. I do appreciate the various tips on testing the waters and the general advice overture of “don’t risk it.” It’s one of the great parts about the watch community here and one of the reasons I posted my dilemma to begin with.

All that being said, at this point I am going to keep talking with the fella and see where it goes. Many of you have taken a bit of a risk for a nice reward. Although this watch isn’t “rare” per se, the price point is attractive and the guys story adds up (thus far). Again, I’m not sending money without a watch.

I will gladly share with everyone the results good, bad or otherwise. ;)

ArtVandlay and Joe_A like this.
  14. FreelanceWriter Jan 17, 2019

Why don't you just tell him to send you that second-chance offer through eBay whenever that becomes possible? Remind him that was his initial overture to which you responded in the first place. If he's legit, I don't think you really have to worry too much about him finding another buyer willing to trust him with any of his proposed alternatives in the meantime. Definitely don't do the transaction in any of the ways he's proposed. Also, unless I'm misreading, he also provided the buyer's email? To me, that's another obvious red flag, because buyers don't usually want to be involved in any of that, especially those who decided to renege on a sale.

I don't know about furniture, but buying cell phones from total strangers in person might be a little too risky:

https://www.cnet.com/news/heres-how-you-can-stay-clear-of-online-scams/
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/craigs...o-robbery-murder-of-father-in-la-report-says/
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/college-student-lured-craigslist-iphone-ad-killed-police/story?id=28894876

Personally, I don't even let my wife use the Subway unless she has male friends with her. It's not that I'm worried about her being killed on the train, or even that she'll encounter something horrible on a daily basis, or "often," either. If you're an attractive women who takes the train (especially alone) on a regular basis, the chances of having some type of traumatizing encounter is too much higher than zero to offset the cost, comfort, and relative safety of taking cabs. I'm not really referring to rush hour, but those aren't the times she'd normally be considering and even that has other discomforts from which I'd rather spare her.

That's why asking for proof of possession isn't that helpful: it only protects you from one type of scam and not another. That's why I have my wife capture video of me opening the package if I buy anything expensive on eBay.

15. ArtVandlay Jan 17, 2019

@WYO_Watch. I'm up in Alcova as often as I can get up there I typically start the season there just before memorial day before they open up the dam, anything below 2500 CFS is perfect. Ill head up just below Pathfinder as well really there is so much good water up there its hard to stay in one place. Usually stay at that sweet Super 8 ;) on the west end of Casper (you know the one) or at the cabins by 'The Reef' Fly Shop. We hunt outside of Wheatland as well but we can discuss that next Sept when the seasons open up again :)

16. ac106 Jan 17, 2019

woah. I don't "let" my wife do anything. She does whatever she feels comfortable doing.

kkt, omegasaso12, Archer and 3 others like this.
  17. WYO_Watch Jan 17, 2019

Haha yes I do - drive by it everyday. Ive also seen plenty of patrol cars in the parking lot.

The reef is great and I need to fish more... my buddy’s buddy bought a drift boat we took out towards the end of the season. Nothing beats a day with a fly rod - I told @Muddlerminnow he needs to make a trip with some of his bamboo rods.

Crazy stuff about hunting too. I’ve hunted area 7 elk for years above wheatland taken some mulies as well. Public access is tough, but it’s a great area (and no grizzlies).

Anyway we’ve definitely detoured this thread into a better topic. But it was my OP...

18. WYO_Watch Jan 17, 2019

That’s just cruel... my wife gets to do all sorts of things. I’m sure @FreelanceWriter ’s wife does lots of stuff too.

Let’s not get distracted here - it’s not like this thread has already derailed into a hunting / fishing post. :thumbsup:

19. Muddlerminnow Jan 17, 2019

Well, I'm ready when you're ready, and when the water's ready!

Meanwhile, back to fishing in....Romania....

WYO_Watch likes this.
  20. ArtVandlay Jan 17, 2019

@WYO_Watch We have a spot at Medicne Bow just past the True Ranch off Palmer Canyon Rd, hunting's great (Elk, Deer, Antelope) and as you say no bears, we have seen a few cats up there but never had a license at the time.

@Muddlerminnow Waters ready end of May and hopefully runoff isn't too bad then. No bamboo here but im always looking for someone silly enough to join me in a day of 7' 3 weight fun.