Forums Latest Members
  1. DoctorEvil Mar 24, 2024

Came across this news article about two plaintiffs in California that want to sue Hermes because that can't get a Birkin bag without having to buy a whole heap of other "accessories", thereby violating "anti trust" laws. Will be interesting to see the outcome of this, as it could have implications for other luxury brands in the USA.
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...is-pair-is-suing-instead-20240324-p5fet2.html

Someone in the article (not the plaintiffs) was quoted as saying "If you could just buy it, it wouldn’t be fun. No one would care. No one would want them." Seriously? I, for one, am quite happy to forgo the "fun" or "thrill of the chase" to get something like a Rolex professional model at retail. I think people would still want them even if they were more accessible. What does the forum think?

sheepdoll and Dash1 like this.
  2. mydeafcat Mar 24, 2024

My wife and I read the same story. It is just so inane.

For the ‘chosen few’ who could give a shit about Hermes and/or Rolex (Rolex only as status, if ya follow), the concept is quite sound. Scarcity! Luxury! Exclusivity! Feh. Ultimately, these constructs are meaningless. The Rolex is, of course, a more practical device (in my view).

Making customers roll over and perform other doggy tricks to join the club ensures I shop elsewhere.

Mouse_at_Large, ghce and DoctorEvil like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 24, 2024

Really, they were "coerced into purchasing". More like you were fucking stupid enough to spend your money on shit like this, fuck off and get a life. Last time I checked the waiting list for oompa loompas was still a mile long. They probably drive G65s too.

4. DoctorEvil Mar 24, 2024

I couldn't agree more. I was once in the market for an OP or Explorer, but I just don't have the time nor inclination to "build the relationship" with the AD given that it's almost 2 hours drive away.

mydeafcat likes this.
  5. speedb Mar 26, 2024

Even when Ferrari started doing this years ago it stank

DoctorEvil likes this.
  6. gbesq Mar 26, 2024

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There’s nothing prestigious about jumping through multiple hoops to overpay for a mid-tier mass produced Swiss luxury watch. It’s just foolish. Ditto for any other luxury goods manufacturer that plays these kind of games, Hermes included. Rolex may have thought at one point that this was smart marketing, but that strategy may now be in question with falling prices and a lot of pissed off, alienated consumers who have taken their business elsewhere. Hermes may experience the same backlash.

Edited Mar 26, 2024
  7. Malthus101 Mar 26, 2024

I still want a Yachmaster Rhodium 40mm though... :)

Dogart1983 and blufinz52 like this.
  8. gbesq Mar 26, 2024

Nothing wrong with that. Nice watch.

Malthus101 likes this.
  9. Poppyboy Mar 26, 2024

I don’t understand why people don’t just buy used. Plenty of inventory if you’re savvy enough to not get ripped off.

10. Twocats Married... with children Mar 26, 2024

[QUOTE="X350 XJR, post: 2323012, They probably drive G65s too.[/QUOTE]

Because G63's are for the non idiots out there.

11. DoctorEvil Mar 26, 2024

Much as I'd like to see Rolex get their comeuppance, sadly I don't think it'll happen any time soon. Still too many people out there who worship the brand and all that it stands for.

speedb and sheepdoll like this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 27, 2024

Because G63's are for the non idiots out there.[/QUOTE]

13. sheepdoll Mar 27, 2024

I mentioned this in the FOMO thread. -- Actually I had to look up FOMO.

I actually used the word a few times today. Went to Home despot. Got 4 items. Two vegetable (well actually spice) plants, some weed wacker line and anti bird netting to keep them out of the seeds. The cost was 50 bucks. Everything is now a commodity. Everything. It is all about what the markets will bear.

The birds will eat all the seedlings, then move onto the next field (or garden box). Such is the way of survival. The Gophers eat all the roots underground.

The other person in line was getting lawn grass seed. California, when there is drought, people rip up the lawns. When the rains return the lawns go back in. It really is about what one presents to the neighbors.

The HD receipt comes with a chance to win a 5000$ gift card. We have become a gambling addicted lottery society now. Can not win the lottery. Odds are better wining a lawsuit.

I noticed the weed whackers are now all in cages.

Dogart1983 and noelekal like this.
  14. Twocats Married... with children Mar 28, 2024

[/QUOTE]
    All G's drive like that. I drove a V8 for eight years. Being the impulsive person I am I bought it without driving it and traded my Audi A8 against it. On the drive home I really felt like crying with my own stupidity as it was terrible. Over time I came to love it and when I drove something else I would freak out because I couldn't feel every bump on the road. I have owned a lot of cars and the G is the only one I will buy again when the time is right. The 65 is pointless but the 63 is special in my humble opinion.