Forums Latest Members

TAG Heuer to reissue the Carrera for the 160th Anniversary of the brand

1. killer67 Jan 25, 2020

too thick and fauxtina

2. pdxleaf ... Jun 3, 2021

(Bump) Any feedback on the watch by persons who purchased one? Specifically:

How does it wear, i.e. did you get used to the relative thickness?

Any issues with the movement, accuracy, etc?

Regrets? Wishing you purchased a different new edition or even vintage over this 160th?

Anyone sell it, and if so why?

This watch is bouncing around in my head. It tics a lot of boxes. I would love to hear of your personal experiences should you like to share them.

Thanks

3. YY77 Jun 3, 2021

A lot of talk over at the sister forum, they even have a church of the silver dial;

https://forums.calibre11.com/thread...rera-160-years-silver-edition-cbk221b.107401/

imagwai and pdxleaf like this.
  4. abrod520 Jun 3, 2021

It's not that thick actually, and feels just about right for a modern 39mm chronograph. If you're used to Octo Finissimos or vintage Piagets it might strike you as thick though I suppose. Much of the stated dimensions are actually in the domed crystal. Only issue for me is the way the thick walls of the crystal obscure the chapter ring at a head-on viewing angle, but it isn't much to detract from the overall experience.

Movement accuracy is fine; the Heuer-02 movement isn't top-notch but nothing too bad.

No regrets for me at all; I think it's just a wonderful silver dial. I'm more of a black-dial person but this one's very warm and I could stare at it for hours. I also bought the Hodinkee Dato; I've tried on the green one (excellent) and the Montreal (not for me) but this one's still my favorite of the bunch.

Not selling it, and probably never will.

pdxleaf likes this.
  5. pdxleaf ... Jun 3, 2021

Edited Jun 3, 2021
    YY77 likes this.
  6. pdxleaf ... Jun 3, 2021

I get this. Besides the speedy, i have several other black dials, including a Gallet multichron, bulova astronaut, glycine airman, glashutte spezimatic and Eterna. It's easy to pull the trigger on a black dial. I have one silver seamaster chrono that is mesmerizing and this 160 Carrera has the same appeal, at least to me.
    20210202_101538.jpg

It's easy to sink into a silver dial.

I normally like a splash of red but am glad they did not put any red in this reedition. The previous silver with blue outer track is also attractive.

Thanks for the feedback

Tako Yaki and imagwai like this.
  7. imagwai Jun 3, 2021

It's not a thick watch and wears thinner than most chronographs I'd say. A lot of the "height" comes from the glassbox crystal.

I wasn't going to buy one (already have an original 36mm Carrera reissue) but a good deal came along I couldn't say no. It's become my most worn watch. I was somewhat tempted to trade it in for the new teal dial version, but didn't as I think the silver is more versatile. The only thing that would tempt me to sell is if Tag release a panda or reverse panda version.

With regards the movement, the Heuer 02 rotor spins like crazy, but it keeps the 80 hour power resrve fully charged and it has been reliable and accurate.

Couple of pics for you - the dial really is quite mesmerising.
    20210522_101849.jpg DSC_0702.JPG

CPRwatch, Tako Yaki, kov and 2 others like this.
  8. abrod520 Jun 3, 2021

I'm actually not one for most silver or white dials, most just leave me wanting more. This one's really beautiful, though.

pdxleaf likes this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 4, 2021

I tried it on, and whilst I agree that it’s not a thick watch, I had the same feelings with this that has put me off other Carreras: relative to the proportions of case size and lug to lug length, it felt relatively thick for me, and didn’t sit well on my wrist. As such if it were 2mm thinner it would have appealed to me more. But that could also just be my wrist dynamics (which actually handle most watches well). It is a beautiful watch. Best try it on first before you buy.

kov and pdxleaf like this.
  10. berrychlossom Jun 4, 2021

Here's mine, but from 1960s. I'm curious if Tag Heuer continues to re-issue other variations of Carrera.
    IMG_7381.jpeg

CPRwatch, MRC, pdxleaf and 3 others like this.
  11. Pun Jun 4, 2021

This is lovely watch indeed. If Tag re-issue it with similar dimensions, I'll buy it...

12. pdxleaf ... Jun 4, 2021

That is a great illustration of the draw of the Heuer Carrera, it's clean and elegant design. It also illustrates (I believe) why the 160th Silver Carerra has hit a chord. Comparing the new edition to yours, we can see how closely TG met the goal of the original esthetic, which is no small feat for such an iconic design.

One of the most alarming facts I have learned about watches is that I am not unique. Not only am I not unique, I actually fit a pattern and am in a group of many, many others. I accept that and acknowledge it in sharing my not so unique thoughts about this new watch.

I am drawn to vintage. Generally, I prefer a nice original watch to a newer model. But that comes at a cost, as vintage is often expensive. I first became interested in the Carerra when I tried on a friend's watch. Like most people, the clean and balanced design was irresistible. If I had the budget, I would have purchased it. Looked pretty damn good on my wrist, if I do say so myself. 20210210_102525.jpg

But vintage also means having a 50 to 70 year old device. No matter how nice the condition, this comes with some tradeoffs. What makes this more difficult is that brands are reissuing iconic watches. This first occurred to me when I was complaining to @eugeneandresson about finding a nice Omega Ed White that I could afford. He said, well, why not consider a new Ed White? Hmm, that just didn't even occur to me. But yes, why not?!!

Unlike the Ed White, these Carrera reeditions can be purchased without a multiyear wait. When we can buy a new watch for half or less than half the cost of vintage that also has the same qualities of what attracks us to the original vintage, it's a tough decision to ignore.

I said all that to say this, I find the 160th silver compelling. The Carerra is one of the most beautiful vintage watches, imho. It's like the peak of an era when everything came together. This new silver dial is gorgeous. Like others, to me the faux lume seems distracting on this dial. I actually don't mind (even like) the faux patina on the Omega's, but those are matched to black dials. Still, this lume color is not enough to detract me from still wanting this 160th.

One compelling draw for vintage is the case size. 36 to 38mm is a sweet spot for my wrist. The watches I wear most often are my two speedmasters, so I am not opposed to a larger watch (44mm is just too big, though.) But a 38mm feels really nice. So this 160th at 39mm seems perfect.

Here's the nagging concern, the width. It seems large in the photos.

These were a lot of words just to say that once again I think Eugene is right, best to try it on first. Even then, the original vintage was a great size. I think I am falling into the camp of the people who are hoping TG will continue the Carerra reissues and release something soon that is closer in size to the originals.

But who cares what I think. It's a beautiful watch.

13. abrod520 Jun 4, 2021

Fortunately not only is there not a waiting list for these, but you can still find them in stores - so trying it on is definitely an option.

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 4, 2021

Patience thy name is collector! So is capriciousness...but that’s off-topic :D

Pun and pdxleaf like this.
  15. Tako Yaki Jun 6, 2021

Hi there,

my 1995, 1964- re-edition says „hello“!
    It’s just a simple 3-hander date, silver face.
    Loved it, bought it new, back then, still love it!
    ... never thought to sell it, it’s a keeper!

The classic Carrera (and IMO also the re-editions) are just
    fantastic looking timepieces!

1F23E255-66DF-4292-90AE-69F5EDFD0296.jpeg

Pun likes this.