Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 18, 2015

I love Swiss automatic chronographs. Many of us do. Not that I don't get distracted by other genres, but it seems to have been a strong focus for me over last 30 years. What fabulous trophies!
    And, as many of us to do, I love the hunt. Even when I have no ammunition with which to hunt. This brings me to my next favorite part of collecting… daydreaming about the hunt. Matter of fact, I am doing it now...
    It can also be called, "getting way ahead of yourself." But who wants to inject daydreaming with reality?
    I have established my collecting "bookends." I will admit, it wasn't quite by my own intention. I acquired my "grail" watch, suddenly finding myself without a watch to sell or trade. This meant I had to begin again.
    My wife thinks it should mean that I can stop now.
    I love you guys! You "get" me!
    Ever long-winded, I'll get to the point now...
    What's next?
    To continue with the theme, I am thinking of a Swiss automatic chronograph that trades between $3-$6k USD. Can be new or used, contemporary or vintage (although most automatic chronographs are contemporary!)
    Good segue here for Zenith. I have been admiring some new El Primeros (in part because I am not up to the task of finding someone who can work on a vintage piece, and wait a number of weeks or months to get it back). The Flyback Stratos is very nice because I love flybacks. And although I prefer three dial/12 hour registers, I also love the Pilot Big Date. The newer style moonphase caliber 410 has also caught my eye.
    Other examples that I have admired include the IWC Fliegerchronos (but I already have an IWC automatic chrono), and the Breguet Type XX or XXI (what's the difference again?).
    I welcome anyone's suggestions, affirmations, comments…
    In the price range, what do you like? And why?

marturx likes this.
  2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 18, 2015

iwc chrono 3700

a pivotal watch that was so important on so many levels...
    the mechanic resurrection after nearly 15 yrs of quartz induced death of the swiss watch industry
    new materials
    first mass produced titanium
    groundbreaking design
    in its early years sold more 7750 then all the other brands/models together
    possibly the most underestimated watch there is - it was an industry's gamechanger

if it were not for the 3700 i guess the auto chrono landscape of today would look dramatically different

still not as ICONIC as it should be - i guess b/c it was a profoundly " european " watch

cheers Al

Edited Aug 18, 2015
    Time Exposure and Mick Tock like this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 18, 2015

Bless you, sir! You REALLY get me!
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/i-love-the-80s.28224/
    But...where were you? :)
    Naturally I agree with everything you expressed above. So the question remains for everyone else, but for you-what's your SECOND best recommendation? ;)

4. SeanO Aug 19, 2015

Some of the Sinn models would meet the requirement as well as falling into the price bracket quite nicely.

The "Space" models with the SZ01 movement miiiiiight qualify if you're looking for something outside of the usual suspects.

some of the Muhle Glashutte chrono's also fall into the price bracket.

and for the 3rd edit yes, I know they're German and not Swiss.

happytapy and Time Exposure like this.
  5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 19, 2015

let me throw another underestimatex/sleeper at you (just for giggles)

Tag heuer link chrono cal.36 .... and just to make this a bit more interesting to you, i leave it up to you to spnd some quality time with gooogle on why this might be an interesting watch ::book::

possibly also a 1970ies cal 12 Heuer, (whatever alternative tickles you fancy) but i feel there are few deals to be had now

enjoy,Al

Edited Aug 19, 2015
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 19, 2015

Yup, I remember those. Also the Concord Impresario. Excellent suggestion, but I think I would stick to the Zenith for the style.

7. happytapy Aug 19, 2015

Sinn or Hacher. Even a CX Hurricane.

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 25, 2015

I like Sinn's style over the years (the ones where he didn't scratch out "Breitling" or some other manufacturer and write his name over the top).
    I guess my question now, since I've been all day-dreamy about Zenith, is: for the price of a new grey market Zenith ($4k-$6k), is there another Swiss (or German) automatic chronograph you would buy BEFORE a Zenith?
    And if I have any stalkers from my Zenith worship days on WatchUSeek some years ago (when I came to the conclusion that Zenith was not for me after several attempts)...all I can say is, ain't it funny how things change?

9. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 25, 2015

i somehow dislike those zeniths, where the dials overlap and you are left wondering what time you'd just measure... just defeats the original purpose...but there are of course some that i do like a great deal.

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 25, 2015

I get it. This is what I have been lust...er...looking at (among others):
    [​IMG]
    See? No overlap! Well, not much anyway. You can actually read the minutes-register!

11. happytapy Aug 25, 2015

Yes. Vintage Heuer, Omega speedy (any). Yema, Breitling, Hacher. Certina, CX, Fortis, Hamilton or O & W.

12. SeanO Aug 26, 2015

The 69 EP is there as well in both SS and DLC

13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 26, 2015

isnt that a 45mm + crown monster?

those huge watches I'd be afraid might fall out of favour anytime soon, and then been considered to look too "2010 ish"

not sure, there might be a smaller one available ... but to stay safe I'd stay between 38-42mm

cheers and enjoy!
    Al

those are the ones I find aestetically pleasing but not too practical...
    [​IMG]