Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 10, 2015

Even though its introduction came in 1978.
    [​IMG]
    Recent addition to the small collection. I made a short list of watches in the $2-$3K range that I liked (some of which I owned but were sacrificed years ago to help acquire something "better").
    I kept thinking of the IWC Porsche Design Titan. I revisited threads to refresh my memory about dial and bracelet varieties. And although I've bought then sold/traded three, I had to get the fourth.
    This one is probably circa 1982. It has the one-pin link bracelet, which was the first of three designs (and the weakest, so, yay survivor!) The dial was the third of five different ones used from 1978-1998. It is considered by many who collect these to be the most desirable dial variation (or a close second most desired after the very first version). This dial features "all" the writing: IWC in block, International Watch Co Schaffhausen in script, Porsche Design in block, and the pd logo.
    [​IMG]
    Integrated pushers contribute to a design I think still looks modern. For the budget, I have to admit this is my favorite watch, surpassing even my much loved and missed Omega Speedmaster 105.012-66 CB (which is now about six times the value of this IWC). The movement is the Valjoux 7750, as modified by IWC. I've heard arguments on both sides (1) it's just a 7750, and (2) it's so heavily altered by IWC that some consider it an IWC movement. I don't agree it's an IWC movement, but I'm a huge fan of the 7750. With few exceptions, this is as good as a 7750 can get.
    Used with scratches where I'd end up putting them anyway (so I have no plans to polish it). The seller had it listed on the 'bay at $2,200, and agreed to accept my $2,000 offer. The low end of retail, they are sometimes seen for less, but usually stagnate at an asking price closer to $3k for similar condition. Not much demand or appreciation for these, but those that do appreciate it LOVE it!
    Comments most welcome, good or bad, polite or rude, I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea!

2. jud Aug 10, 2015

Good for you. It's an interesting watch with a cool design. I have a couple that others turn their noses at, but I bought it because I like it, not for anyone else. Glad you did the same.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 13, 2015

Crickets! I hear crickets! And not Vulcain alarm watches...
    Oh, well, I still love this forum, even if no one cares about the International Watch Company Porsche Design Titan Chronograph. If the name is too long we can just call it the IWCPDTC...ah heck. Never mind. ::yawn::
    (Apologies to anyone who searches "Vulcain" or "Cricket" and stumbles on this.)

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 13, 2015

Classic and well-regarded as they are, the Porsche design references have limited appeal for me personally.

As long as it is in a sweet spot for you, that is all that matters. Enjoy!;)

5. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 13, 2015

I've really, really tried to like these. I think I should like these. But alas, I cannot like these. Because they remind me too much of these....

5a689b4feaef65a2ffc08bcea0d8a028.jpg

6. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2015

I like the titanium IWC watches from that period. The problem is there was ALWAYS a watch or two I liked more that the money went towards.

http://www.junglewalk.com/Asounds/cricket6.wav

Hey now, the Miami Vice look was HOT for a while! :p

AAAKK, Time Exposure and Mad Dog like this.
  7. timeismoney Aug 13, 2015

I like it, Bryan! The design is still quite sleek but my sentiment is with Dennis. There are quite a few watches that I would get before this make it to the runner up. The important thing is get what you love and as long as it is not a franken...just wear it like this:

Time Exposure likes this.
  8. italy1861 Aug 14, 2015

I love Denzel Washington as a bad guy... Love him in Man on Fire...

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 14, 2015

I really like this watch design. There are at least (4) or (5) very similar 7750 designed references.

I've not seen this IWC incarnation and I really think it's the nicest interpretation of the 7750, by far.

I have (2) Gallet PVC military - pilot type references from 1983 which are very similar to your IWC. Chuck Maddox mentioned more than a few times that it was one of his favorite chronographs so each time I see one for sale, I try to buy it. I have no idea why Chuck Maddox liked this watch so much (it's made from "pot" metal and weighs a ton!) but that's enough reason for me to love it! Perhaps he felt it was a great value?

This is a sellers photo from when I bought the first one. It's in remarkable condition. I have the original bracelet for one of the watches which is very cool! The other one isn't in such great condition but still pretty decent...

image.jpg
    Edited Aug 14, 2015
    Time Exposure likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 14, 2015

That looks so much like a certain Speedmaster model of the same time :whistling:

Do like the occasional PD but that TITAN on the bottom would annoy the hell out of me

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 14, 2015

Funny thing, I prefer it! The TITAN link does not show on all the chronos. I don't know if it was an early versus later thing? In the early years, a titanium watch was a big deal. It was very difficult to work with and therefore costly from a labor perspective. The TITAN link might have been a market-specific feature too, I don't know.
    There are tidbits of details all over the place for this model and its significance. But since it does have a limited audience of admirers, all the info is not conveniently gathered in one place like it is for, say, a Speedmaster or a Submariner. And much as I love the Titan, I'm not prepared to go Maddox and create the worship-site!
    Doesn't keep me from wishing someone else would...
    The IWC website has a Collector's Forum that has a lot of info. And, much like our beloved Speedy and Sub collectors have resources for expert repair, Jack Friedman at Superior Watch Repair is something of a rock star in the Porsche Design world. He has come to my rescue a few times since the first time around 1990!