Forums Latest Members
  1. Shabbaz May 5, 2020

Dear members,

I'm looking at this chonograph which caught my eye. It's powered by a landeron 51. I like the blue hands!

But that dial and subdials are wonky. And I've never seen the text "sur ... pulsations". Most are "base... pulsations", gradue pour, etc. But who is going to redial a "Mappin&Web"?!?

Screenshot_20200505-112816_eBay.jpg
    Edited May 5, 2020
  2. fibonacci May 5, 2020

"Calculé sur 30 pulsations" would probably be what they were going for. I don't want to link to anything since I don't know what is authentic or not, but you can find examples online.

A quick inspection of the font and line inconsistencies suggests that this dial is almost certainly not original though. Look at the 2 in 20 vs 25, to take one example.

Shabbaz, Lucasssssss and kov like this.
  3. Shabbaz May 5, 2020

Yes. I agree. Also the 6 for example. And the subdials, when I look at the breaking of the numerals, are totally wrong as well. A refinished dial of mappin and webb. Funny.

Dan S likes this.
  4. fibonacci May 5, 2020

The original name on the dial needn't necessarily have been Mappin & Webb. I can imagine a cagey forger choosing an obscure brand to throw people off and make it harder to find original examples with which to compare. It's an arms race out there.

5. Shabbaz May 5, 2020

Mappin and webb is a jewelry store in London. Like Bucherer they probably had watches sometimes under their own name.

6. Shabbaz May 5, 2020

Anyway, I'm a fan of blue vintage hands. I'm also a fan of blue shutters in the south of France. To bad the dial is refinished.

Thnx!