Forums Latest Members

Pulsations Bezel - why is it written in French?

1. Sport160 Oct 28, 2020

Hi all!

This morning I picked up a lovely pre-owned CK2998 Speedmaster (2018 Limited Edition) with the Pulsations bezel. I've tried searching and googling to death but I simply cannot find the answer to my question:

Why is it written in French? Namely the "Gradue Pour 30 Pulsations". I know what it translates to (which of course makes sense) but why in French?

Upon googling I note that a series of other watches from a variety of brands when employing a Pulsometer on their bezels use the same language.

Any help gratefully appreciated to satisfy my curiosity!

89-0 and Thommas like this.
  2. Thommas Oct 28, 2020

Much of the Swiss watch industry is in the French-speaking parts of Switzerland. In addition, some of the people who started Swiss watch brands were French Huguenots fleeing persecution in France, hence the French language being deeply rooted in the watchmaking tradition.

3. akshayluc420 Oct 28, 2020

You're right I never noticed, the Omega Museum pieces, Longines Pulsometer, VC and MontBlanc version all have it in French! Perhaps it was the lingua franca used by the sophisticated elite in the 1700s (Floyer and Watson were British). All speculation ofc, maybe a brand/model made one for the Swiss or French market and the trend caught on and stayed.

Anyway, came across this nifty micro-brand who made one without a chronograph: Doplr

Edit: Thommas posted just as i posted mine, don't i feel silly

Sport160 and Thommas like this.
  4. queriver Oct 28, 2020

What's good for the bezel should be good for the dial, non? So, why is the Speedmaster called the "Speedmaster Professional" on the dial and not "maître de vitesse professionnel" ;) ?
    At least Switzerland isn't in the EU, otherwise "Gradue Pour 30 Pulsations" might need to be written in what 25 languages on the bezel. :eek:

5. dstfno Oct 28, 2020

The Speedmaster brand name was chosen in the 1950's, when the shift towards the global market we have today was already ongoing. Hence the English branding.

6. Sport160 Oct 28, 2020

Ahhh yes I see, I see! Makes sense now, thank you so much for the replies!

Lovely watch, always wanted an Omega so very happy to finally be an owner and join the forums.

7. griffith_500 Oct 28, 2020

BTW, all regular Speedmasters are labelled with the French „Tachymètre“ on the bezel since the beginning...

whiteibex, Sport160 and Thommas like this.
  8. Stufflers Mom Oct 28, 2020

There are many examples of where the french have got their way of using french as the preferred way of writing something. That's why Concorde is spelt with an e and the end, but we do get our own way over the french from time to time, but 1815 and the battle of Waterloo being the last time we got anything over the French.:)

Sport160 and akshayluc420 like this.