Forums Latest Members
  1. ionut05 Sep 5, 2021

Dear watch lovers,

I am considering servicing my super sub sea.
    Do you think (considering that it was noit serviced fore many years) is it worth to do it at Zenith or it's a job that can be done by any (versed) watchmaker. They would gladly do it for minimum 1000.
    Thank you!
    All the best,
    I

20210905_054339.jpg
    river rat and flqt-9000 like this.
  2. jhross98 Sep 5, 2021

while i can't speak specifically to what zenith does to vintage watches. . it is a good rule of thumb to NEVER send any vintage watch back to the manufacturer. ever.

find a good independent watchmaker who knows the brand and can source zenith parts

3. amcclell Sep 5, 2021

You would need to provide VERY strict instructions about what you want done and be very clear about anything that you DON'T want done. I have sent 2 watches that were sent through to LVMH in Switzerland, for work that could not be done in Canada and one was great and the other had an issue that I paid my local watchmaker to fix. It was relatively minor, albeit irritating, but it was easier than sending it away again.

There are 2 independent watchmakers in my vicinity who are very good with Zenith chronographs. I have the same dilemma right now with an El Primero Rainbow from 1993. The crown threads are quite worn and my watchmakers can easily service the movement but they cannot get a replacement tube and crown. I could probably get by, if I am super careful and don’t over tighten the crown but it only engages the threads for 3/4 of a turn.

If yours has no issues and just needs a service, a good independent watchmaker would be the best way to go.

4. Servius Sep 5, 2021

Eventually, they would also gladly ruin it. Send it to an independant watchmaker. If you can share your location, I’m sure some members will be glad to recommend you good craftsman.

Nice watch btw ;)

5. philips Sep 5, 2021

That's a fantastic piece. I would have a local competent watchmaker do it. Unfortunately for many, the "trust" factor is not there when it comes to a factory service for a vintage piece by Swiss brands. It's based on many shared experiences by watch collectors.

6. ionut05 Sep 5, 2021

Thanks, for the feedback. Good to know this detail :)

7. ionut05 Sep 5, 2021

Thank you.
    As I am quite new to this so I would be a bit clumsy in asking discussing technical details with them. For my piece, it seems to stop once a day (not on a daily basius though) even after I wind it.
    It can go a lot faster with a smaller watchmakler. I was told that to Zenith it could take from weeks up to months.

8. ionut05 Sep 5, 2021

Yes, in the interest of making you return for more services. I am located in Belgium if anybody can recommend something.

9. ionut05 Sep 5, 2021

Thank you :). A local versed watchmaker seems the solution. On top of the work, the cost it is also important. If the mimimun is 1000 EUR, I am really afraid of the rest :))

10. jfwoodman Nov 22, 2021

I would go to a reputable watchmaker if just for routine service. If you need repair (potential part replacement), my experience with local watchmakers isn't as positive.

11. JwRosenthal Nov 22, 2021

I agree with all the advise on an independent (we have to support the dying trade), but like the aforementioned Rainbow crown tube, how is one to get parts? Same issue with Rolex or Omega, the companies keep a very strict hold on parts distribution. Are there independent Zenith account holding watchmakers? I am genuinely curious as a Rainbow has always been on my short list but the idea of only being able to send it back to Zenith if I run into a serious issue is enough to make be balk.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. amcclell Nov 22, 2021

I hear you - I'm not in a hurry but I'll likely send mine to Zenith to get the crown, tube and all the seals. I'm keeping it, so I might as well do it right.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 22, 2021

Does anyone else wonder why the hour hand was longer than the minute hand at first glance?

14. ionut05 Nov 23, 2021

The watchmakers in my vecinity were not very keen on commiting to the task. In any case, since I don't know the history of the service, might be that some parts need to be replaced, better to go back to the manufacturer.

15. sirtaifun Nov 23, 2021

If you sending your watch to Zenith in Switzerland prepare to pay huge premium once I send my Zenith Defy and they wanted to charge me 1700CHF for full service.
    After a lot of discussing with them they agree to a small service where they`ve done all with the exception of servicing the movement which was done by my trusted watchmacher.

16. ionut05 Nov 24, 2021

In that ballpark is my quotatioan also.

17. sirtaifun Nov 24, 2021

At mine was 1300CHF for servicing the movement alone ;)

18. ionut05 Nov 24, 2021

Close to 2000 EUR for full service and change of the plexiglass. I opted-out from the polishing. But I've heard Zenith aren't cheap. For one time, it's not athe end of the world :)))