Forums Latest Members

suggestions please, passed down vintage omega pocket watch

1. thanatos808 Aug 23, 2020

hello, i just joined so please forgive me for I any mistakes i may make. The reason i have join this group is for some information, firstly I am located in Canada. 2 watches have been passed down to me, one is a pocket watch from my Grandfather and secondly my Father, they have seen better days, I am wondering if they are worth restoring, they are sentimental in a way, either left untouch or restored. And if it is decided that it would be restored, are they too valuable to be worn or should be stored. I will try to upload the pictures as best I can.

thank you in advance for any help that is offered.

20141101_200029.jpg 20141101_200034.jpg 20141101_200112.jpg 20141101_200129.jpg
    Pierre1333 and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Aug 23, 2020

hey @thanatos808 - welcome.

The second watch is an Omega Constellation 168.0017 - it is either gold capped or plated, and something that could easily be serviced and then worn everyday.

The first... pass (for now).

Duracuir1 likes this.
  3. thanatos808 Aug 23, 2020

@tyrantlizardrex thank you for the quick reply, I will have the Constellation serviced then, this would be my first Omega. Any reason why pass the pocket watch for now? is it because it wouldn't be worth restoring? i cannot even find any info about that pocket watch online(best to my ability)

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 23, 2020

Welcome to the forum. Pocket watches are a bit of a subset here (I quite like them). So, you may want to edit your thread title to draw in the right people.

Edit, pics of the sides of the pocket watch may help us guide you on how to open it to get more info on it.

Double Edit (I'm thinking about this instead of doing housework). The pocket watch looks dope. I think it would be great with a suit or a vest. Definitely get either watch serviced before you wear them

Edited Aug 23, 2020
    sonicosa and Duracuir1 like this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 23, 2020

The Constellation can be brought to working order with a service, new crystal and perhaps a correct crown.

Is the pocket watch missing the hours hand? Or is it hidden by the minutes hand? I wonder if that's not a ladies watch. Still it is an attractive piece.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 23, 2020

It might be a ladies watch, I honestly don't know. But it does have attitude, and if I was feeling fancy I'd wear it absolutely

Syrte likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Aug 23, 2020

The pass was purely because off the top of my head, I've got nothing to tell you about it.

Will grab my copy of a Journey Through Time in a bit and see if there's anything close.

8. tyrantlizardrex Aug 23, 2020

No exact matches, but a few watches that are similar/of the style.

I think the third watch is closest to yours. :thumbsup:

IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1634.JPG

DaveK, chronoboy64, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  9. thanatos808 Aug 23, 2020

@DaveK thank you for the suggestion, i changed the title thread. I am afraid mu all thumbs hands are not willing to epen any watches at all, i do not trust myself to open it, fear of breaking something

20200823_145046.jpg 20200823_145058.jpg
  10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 23, 2020

Smart to keep away from opening it. Let's wait for someone smarter than me to guide you on the next step:thumbsup:

11. thanatos808 Aug 23, 2020

@tyrantlizardrex Wow, thank you for the info, good old hard copy books, beats the internets sometimes, well at least i know the age/era its from, sounds about right being time of my Grandfather

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. tyrantlizardrex Aug 23, 2020

No problem at all - and very true, a lot of the stuff that's in old books isn't online!

13. thanatos808 Aug 23, 2020

my first step to Omega watches...now the next step, which i hope it is not too costly are the restoration/servicing. First is the Constellation, from @tyrantlizardrex has mentioned Omega Constellation 168.0017 what i have found online are leather bracelet, should i swap it out for a leather one to make it more original or restore it with the metal one?

14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 23, 2020

Holy smoke, my jaw dropped when I saw the first watch.
    I know nothing about Omega but I can tell it is a stunningly beautiful gold enameled watch from the 1920s, or slightly earlier or slightly later.
    I don’t know if it’s for a man or woman, but to me it’s almost a museum piece and very special.
    The style is a bit of a blend, with some features of art deco or jugenstil, but other more traditional patterns; there might be a touch of egyptian revival in there.
    It would definitely be interesting to get it to a well recommended professional watchmaker —NOT a jeweler, and only some one who comes with references— to open it up, take pictures of the inside markings and the movement, and get an extract of archive from Omega.
    The second one can more readily be worn-/ the first one I would consider much more valuable as an artefact.

And with that, I will let you enjoy the discussion below on another watch which has some similar feature-/ but whose style is much more identifiable as art nouveau (which yours isn’t IMHO) and Egyptian revival.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/updated-astonishing-egyptian-design-art-nouveau-longines.50351/

PS just noticed @tyrantlizardrex’s post already indicating some of my observations. I must admit I did not read the thread to the end when I posted- I was so stunned. It is a truly extraordinary heirloom.

Edited Aug 23, 2020
    Sam11, Dedalus05, sonicosa and 7 others like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2020

Both hands are there...

Duracuir1 and airansun like this.
  16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 23, 2020

As soon as I saw it I must confess I thought of you, I totally agree with your comments :thumbsup:

Larry S, kkt, Duracuir1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Aug 23, 2020

The bracelet looks correct, or you can swap it for a strap - either would be good.

Check out this thread for c-cased constellation inspiration: https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-c-cased-constellation-thread.72308/

18. thanatos808 Aug 23, 2020

@Syrte oh wow thank you! you've brought more light into this pocket watch, now i know i have to be more careful handling it. If it is what you say it is, i would definately need a restoration project, it is just too bad i live here in Canada, we dont have a watchmaker's association to look for proffesional watchmaker.Well at least i got the time to look for someone who's remotely qualified to open it up. I'm in no hurry, it being that old, it could wait a little longer

Syrte likes this.
  19. thanatos808 Aug 23, 2020

i know it's off topic, and i hope i dont break any rules here being a Omega forum, but my Grandfather must have like pocket watches because i have other one. Seeing everyone here is so helpful, maybe someone can shed light on this one, i know its broken and bad shape, but it belonged to my Grandfather, just would like some info on it

20141101_195901.jpg
  20. Dan S Aug 23, 2020

You will need to show the movement of the Elgin to learn anything useful.