Forums Latest Members

Successful rose gold re-plating?

1. rkman11 Sep 11, 2019

Throwing this out to the brain trust - has anyone had success with rose gold re-plating?
    I have a vintage watch buckle that was originally plated in yellow gold, is now in rough shape, and I would love to have it re-plated in rose gold to match a watch.

Took it to my trusted watchmaker, who uses a company very successfully for yellow gold re-plating, but he said he has stopped doing any rose gold with them, as it always turns out poorly. Like unusably bad and he strongly recommends it not be done...

Has anyone had a successful experience with this lately? And bonus if you can point me to a company in the Los Angeles area...!

Thanks!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 11, 2019

rkman11 and DaveK like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 11, 2019

Cal-Mart Plating in Los Angeles. Haven't used them in a number of years but they always did very good work for me.

rkman11 likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 11, 2019

I had a buckle, hands and crown replated to match a rose-gold capped Omega some years ago.

Came out nice, but after 10 years, the crown is closer to the original yellow gold finish.

I do not know who did the work, as my watchmaker at the time handled it all.
    gatorcpa

rkman11 likes this.
  5. rkman11 Sep 11, 2019

Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses. I’ll hopefully be getting this done soon and will of course post pictures!

DaveK likes this.
  6. rkman11 Sep 11, 2019

Just spoke to them, they no longer do rose gold plating, said it tarnished too easily.

7. ilayd Sep 11, 2019

This place is down the street from my work. Small world.

DaveK likes this.