Forums Latest Members
  1. 0uss Nov 19, 2019

Hello ladies and gents ,

I found this photo online of a small shovel looking stamp on a watch's caseback and reminded me of the same mark i found between the lugs of my ex gold plated movado datron, but it was to small and tricky to capture on camera.
    Looks like a casemaker's stamp and i'm pretty curious who might be. If not, what could it possibly symbolize?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited Nov 20, 2019
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Nov 19, 2019

I don’t have your answer, but for this post and others, “gents and ladies”, or just “hi everyone” might be best.

Best wishes,

chronoboy64 and 3nicewatches like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 19, 2019

Guessing a casemaker's mark as well, but I just spent some time skimming through mikrolisk.de and did not see it (I only looked through the 24 or so pages listed under * and ? since there do not appear to be any letter). Anything to help narrow down a search, such as the watch brand/ model, and rough year of manufacturer?

EDIT: went back to the site and searched for shovel, spade and shield. Got another 1000 or so marks to skim through, but none looked similar. My best guess is this is much newer than the marks cataloged in their database.

Edited Nov 19, 2019
    0uss likes this.
  4. 0uss Nov 20, 2019

thank you four your input. :) Post edited!

DaveK likes this.
  5. 0uss Nov 20, 2019

thank ypu for the tremendous effort @BlackTalon :) i did a fair share of extensive research but nothing popped up either. As you said the mark could be fairly recent compared to the others on mikrolisk.de, as my movado datron dates to the 1970s. The search is still on!

6. zoohannover Nov 21, 2019

Any information regarding the watch with the mark on the case back? Brand, model, etc.?

I found something similar in a sale of a Tissot watch.
    Tissot.jpg
    https://www.adverts.ie/vintage/1960...s-swiss-watch-20-microns-gold-plated/10080416

And here on a Omega reference 135.070
    1223055796.jpg

https://jackmond.com/products/omega-case-sku-cs105

Just guessing:
    Since the mark shows a symbolisted spade and the german word for digging is "graben", the case maker could be Graber S.A.

Edited Nov 21, 2019
    0uss likes this.
  7. Vitezi Nov 21, 2019

I seem to recall the spade/shield mark referenced the gold content (10 karats) in a gold-filled watch. But I can't find an authoritative source for that. :cautious:

0uss likes this.
  8. 0uss Nov 21, 2019

The photo of the caseback is from a listing on ebay. The zodiac hermetic is gold plated and dates to the 60s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zo...ated-Manual-Mens-Watch-17-Jewel-/113765184489Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

In this case, imho, two theories are possible:
    - Omega, Tissot, Movado and zodiac shared the same case manufacturer back in the 60s and 70s.
    - Or, The mark symbolizes gold content / gold plating process used by the said brands as it's only seen on gold filled watches and not seen on solid gold or stainless steel models which sounds more likely.
    This is only a theory and it's missing a reliable source like @Vitezi said.