Stolen watch: omega seamaster 166.024

And here is something I found while reading Secursus' Terms and Conditions - If I am understanding this correctly, I would say that this includes watch Forum Market Places, such as the ΩF market place.

Caveat emptor always, my friends.

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:
  • ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.

And here is something I found while reading Secursus' Terms and Conditions - If I am understanding this correctly, I would say that this includes watch Forum Market Places, such as the ΩF market place.

• ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.
This reads like my HOA stipulation on swimming pools- they’re not saying you can’t have one, but if you read the set-back and view-shed specifications, it’s basically a bird bath in the corner of your yard.

ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.

Would this not imply that sales between two individuals are not covered? Unless there is an official business involved? What official means is also to be defined I guess. They really make it complicated.

I reviewed their terms and conditions long ago and concluded that it would be very difficult to make a successful claim in the event of a loss. I'm much more comfortable insuring my shipments through the USPS. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I reviewed their terms and conditions long ago and concluded that it would be very difficult to make a successful claim in the event of a loss. I'm much more comfortable insuring my shipments through the USPS. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Exactly right, if your parcel goes missing with the USPS you'll eventually get compensated. The service might be a little slow, tracking data is often slow and out of date, but the parcel will find its way to the proper place. If it goes missing, you'll get your dough. With other insurers, I'm not so sure, insurers have a knack of always finding a reason why you aren't really covered.

Exactly right, if your parcel goes missing with the USPS you'll eventually get compensated. The service might be a little slow, tracking data is often slow and out of date, but the parcel will find its way to the proper place. If it goes missing, you'll get your dough. With other insurers, I'm not so sure, insurers have a knack of always finding a reason why you aren't really covered.
Yup- never been screwed by USPS opting for their insurance. Have been royally screwed by FedEx and UPS- the later had the gaul to tell me that the burden of proof was on me to prove it hadn’t been delivered (what the actual fuck).
USPS lost a package (not great value but still was insured), took about 3 months to pay up. And then a year later the package arrived magically on my doorstep.

I've been thinking a lot about theft lately and it only now dawned on me that I should've kept my own identity completely shielded from watches

I think if you can easily search the shipper or the receiver on Instagram and see they deal in luxury stuff, it's an easy invitation for fishiness, and in Europe I don't think there is delivery chain responsibility, so it feels like anyone can just take anything :(

I've been thinking a lot about theft lately and it only now dawned on me that I should've kept my own identity completely shielded from watches

I think if you can easily search the shipper or the receiver on Instagram and see they deal in luxury stuff, it's an easy invitation for fishiness, and in Europe I don't think there is delivery chain responsibility, so it feels like anyone can just take anything :(

A sticky thread for online safety would be a good idea.

what was the weight on shipping date and receive? If I ship it insured, they always note the weight of the package.

Wow how did I not know this (money wasted). I feel like this should be made sticky too.

Wow how did I not know this (money wasted). I feel like this should be made sticky too.

I was in communication with Securcus recently after reviewing their conditions... There is a grey area, they would not cover private sales over a watch advertised on Facebook Marketplace - even though the financial exchange is outside Facebook but they confirmed they are happy to cover private trades on Chrono24. Now how they would know in an individual scenario I don't know. I think the point is check first before you waste a premium.

I was in communication with Securcus recently after reviewing their conditions... There is a grey area, they would not cover private sales over a watch advertised on Facebook Marketplace - even though the financial exchange is outside Facebook but they confirmed they are happy to cover private trades on Chrono24. Now how they would know in an individual scenario I don't know. I think the point is check first before you waste a premium.
When making a claim you usually have to show proof of value (recent appraisal or purchase price/receipt). I’m assuming with chrono24 there would be the escrow and a paper trail showing the proof of the price paid (which better match the insurers value).

These are the kinds of situations that speak to why those of us who caution others to not fudge insurance or customs values when shipping a watch (to save a few bucks) are so vehement. They will look for any reason to throw you under the bus and any discrepancy in value is grounds to reject a claim or slap you with customs fees.

The paper trail needs to be iron clad and squeaky clean.

Hello,

It has been some time since I have posted on the forum. I am back with bad news :(

My seamster 166.024 is missing/has been stolen. I shipped it to my watchmaker in italy for a relume, everything went fine and it was ready to be shipped back where I live in France.
I received the package undamaged but there was no watch in it.

I had a discussion with my watchmaker and the inside of the box was not as it was when shipped.
The watch was wrapped in a white cloth inside a plastic pocket. I didn't find it this way.

Strangely the outerbox was clean and properly taped. No sign of effraction. So it was probably carefully re-taped.

I don't really know what to do. The insurance that I use only covers shipment for sale reason and not repair. So it wasn't insured.
I have heard of thewatchregister.com - I think that I will report it there.
Please tell me if I should do anything more.

Regards

om166024.jpg image2.jpeg

:( Just came across this, I feel gutted for you ..Has there been any news?
If you haven't done so, I would get in contact with the CEO or EA to the CEO of the shipping company and politely request their help.
I did this when a rare piece that I bought from Germany went missing, they very kindly compensated me with the market value as a goodwill gesture. It might be worth a try.