Forums Latest Members
  1. jpebs Jan 18, 2020

Hey all. I got some great advice on here a few years ago on a watch I inherited from my uncle. Sadly it go stolen in a burglary over Christmas and I thought I'd post here in just in case anyone see's it or has any advice about where I should look out for it coming up for sale?! IMG_5523.jpg IMG_5508.jpg IMG_5525.jpg IMG_5526.jpg I'll add some photo's too..

IMG_5511.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. ndgal Jan 18, 2020

Sorry to hear!
    The serial number would be the most helpful.

3. Dan S Jan 18, 2020

Also, perhaps you can mention where it was stolen, at least the country. This is quite an international forum.

jpebs likes this.
  4. jpebs Jan 18, 2020

Thanks both... it was stolen in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK

5. kip595 Jan 18, 2020

In that part of the world I'd recommend getting in touch with all the local jewelry dealers who take in pre-owned items, both high street and the more obscure, with all the info you have. Fortunately many UK jewelers stay abreast of one another, or at least used to, and word of mouth can be invaluable in such a case, especially if the thief doesn't know what they have and go to someone trying to 'fence' it w/o full knowledge of what it is. If there are any known fences in your area and the theft was reported by the police, they will likely be the first people checked, but pro movers of stolen goods have gotten quite careful these days. Beyond that, you can try to keep an eye on sites like ebay and Chrono24, but that will quickly get arduous.

I am deeply sorry to hear about this, as I lost a favorite Seamaster the same way a few years back, and wish you nothing but the best of luck and its safe return.

6. Peter_from_NL Jan 18, 2020

indeed, but assuming it is not there this bezel is “unique enough” to be identified I think.

jpebs likes this.
  7. Om3ga321 Jan 18, 2020

connieseamaster, jpebs and gt0279a like this.
  8. OMEGuy Jan 18, 2020

I'll keep an eye open for this watch. Hope you'll get it back...

jpebs likes this.
  9. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 18, 2020

Really sorry to hear about your loss. Here in England, it may be worth keep an eye on Gumtree or Pre-loved???

jpebs likes this.
  10. Walrus Jan 18, 2020

Darn over Christmas it was stolen. What a wonderful time. Sorry to hear that.

jpebs likes this.
  11. CaptainWinsor Jan 18, 2020

Sorry to hear that. Well done for the Blades today.

jpebs likes this.
  12. joe band Jan 19, 2020

certainly the distinctively shaped chunk taken out of the side would help in IDing it.
    sorry to hear about your loss. that sucks.

jpebs likes this.
  13. janice&fred Jan 19, 2020

these unique details would definitely work for us watch guys to positively ID it but I think without a serial number on the police report he will have a hard time proving it's his watch to the authorities.

jpebs likes this.
  14. roleex Jan 19, 2020

Wow. Checkup ...bay, possibly show over there

jpebs likes this.
  15. danny_gartside Jan 19, 2020

Probably worth speaking to the folks in Browns and H L Browns in Sheffield (I work in Sheffield hence knowing the dealers) Browns are the top of Pinstone street might be your best bet, they have a decent stock of pre owned pieces

jpebs likes this.
  16. jpebs Jan 20, 2020

Hey everyone - thanks so much for all your responses, I really appreciate it. I'll try the suggestions and keep searching....

janice&fred likes this.
  17. Socks Jan 20, 2020

That's a sh1tter! Least you have some good images for retrospective id should you locate it and need proof of ownership. No serial number??

jpebs likes this.
  18. jpebs Jan 20, 2020

Yep all, have to confess i didn't get the serial number....

19. percymon Jan 20, 2020

eBay and other online sales sites will be tedious to check. At least eBay allows you to search within a distance , so set a search up within say 100miles, not great but it’ll probably halve the number of items.

it’s probably been sold in the pub car park unless the thief is holding onto it for a decent return

20. Walrus Jan 20, 2020

Too bad. It sucks. A couple guys have posted some beautiful watches that got stolen. It always gives me pain in the gut. The job I’m currently doing has me in contact with many criminals. Some have, or in the process of, turning things around. Many are still in that lifestyle. When I’m around they put on the front but I’ll be around the corner and they are reliving their best “crimes” be it smash and grab or breaking and entering and these dudes don’t give any thought to sentimentality. They don’t stop and think “I’m taking this item that a guy saved up for 5 years to buy” or “this could be an irreplaceable family heirloom.” No it’s just it’s mine now type of thing. I got called in tonight we had a new wild one. For five minutes he is showing me how good his prison tats came out. For now they are still a badge of honor. If he lives long enough they will become a regret he has to look at everyday to remind himself. I didn’t live right for a number of years but I’m glad I never got to the point where I could justify stealing, or lose sight so much I could just take peoples property and not think twice about it.

These types of posts are depressing and I see them too often. I had two watches stolen out of my car once, they weren’t high value but an old bulova and Hamilton I had picked up at a tag sale for ten bucks a piece together maybe they were worth 400 I was bringing them to show a friend and, well they got stolen. That was many years ago but i still think of them. Anyway it’s too bad we can’t just all chill and treat one another as we should but it just doesn’t seem to be how things are done. Sorry went off on a tangent I just left work and was thinking of the conversations the active criminals were having and it brought me to this

DaveK likes this.