Steps to take after buying an Omega on eBay?

I just got a Moonwatch from eBay and wondering if there are any recommended things I should do while I have the opportunity to return it.

Because of the value, the watch had to go to an authenticator before being shipped to me, so I have no concern about that. But they do not test the operation of the watch, only authenticity.

Anything I should do as a stress test to make sure it's working correctly? Any signs to look for that could indicate issues (i.e. hands not lining up)?

Anything I should do with the warranty card (has a Jeweler on it and it's dated April 2024) to make sure the warranty is valid? Should I call Omega and verify? If I call them, should I *NOT* mention that I bought it on eBay? Does that blacklist me or anything?

For that matter, if I ever take it to an OB for buffing or sizing will they care, or even ask where I got it? Should I not mention eBay?

Welcome

Great questions to clear up prior to buying.

Stress tests? wind and wear it

Omega?....OB? you've bought it, whatever is going to happen is going to happen, just roll with the punches.

or

take to your watchmaker and let him/her evaluate it if you're a novice.

Like 1
If you trust eBay authentication, what else is there to do?

Stress test? Either it works or it doesn't. If you want to be sure of operation and water tightness, etc., get it serviced.

Call Omega or go to an OB if you want. No one cares where you bought it.

Or return it. I'd just wear and enjoy it.

If it's under warranty and a problem with timing occurs then Omega will cover it.

To test it, wind it fully and check the time in 24 hours. That's the simplest method.

An Omega Boutique might resize it for you for free. They are pretty gracious and want to keep you as a customer. Or they would charge you a minimal amount. You certainly should offer to pay them and let them decide whether to accept.

If it's under warranty and a problem with timing occurs then Omega will cover it.

This is my primary concern. I want to confirm that it is under warranty. What would cause Omega not to cover the watch?

Is the dated warranty card with jeweler's name sufficient? I'm certain the watch is new and unworn, but the jeweler is an AD in Slovania (I'm in the US) and the sale date on the warranty card is April 2024 (I bought it in July). Is this card sufficient to get warranty service anywhere I happen to be?

Should I call Omega to ask if the watch is under warranty or is that a red flag to them? Do I tell them I got it on eBay if they ask?

I probably sound neurotic or paranoid or both right now, but we've heard the warnings and horror stories about people buying watches online. I just want to make sure I won't have any issues.

Should I call Omega to ask if the watch is under warranty or is that a red flag to them? Do I tell them I got it on eBay if they ask?

I probably sound neurotic or paranoid or both right now, but we've heard the warnings and horror stories about people buying watches online. I just want to make sure I won't have any issues.

I buy new and used on both eBay and C24 etc and if you got an authenticated / certified watch, they've already checked stolen watches databases as well as confirmed it's not a fake that would be confiscated by the official boutique. You are covered if something like that crops up. You've purchased what you think is a legit watch so by all means validate the warranty to put your mind at ease.

To test it, wind it fully and check the time in 24 hours. That's the simplest method.
How about the mow-the-lawn stress test?

Like 5
How about the mow-the-lawn stress test?
I've actually done a slightly more significant test on mine - set them exactly, then put them in the winder for a few days and let them alone, then check the time. That may not be the right path for everyone.

Like 2
Does anyone know if Omega can resize a beads of rice bracelet once all of the removable links have been removed? I have a tiny wrist and I need more links removed but my watch repair guy said I've reached the max....

Does anyone know if Omega can resize a beads of rice bracelet once all of the removable links have been removed? I have a tiny wrist and I need more links removed but my watch repair guy said I've reached the max....
Do you really want to damage a bracelet beyond repair? This is the main question really is t it?

I would go buy a generic bracelet or a strap. I wouldn’t deface a bracelet. The other option is to eat potato, pasta and bread continuously 3 times a day for the next few months.

Like 2
Do you really want to damage a bracelet beyond repair? This is the main question really is t it?

I would go buy a generic bracelet or a strap. I wouldn’t deface a bracelet. The other option is to eat potato, pasta and bread continuously 3 times a day for the next few months.

Sorry this doesnt answer the question though. Does anyone know if Omega can resize a vintage beads of rice. I am not resizing it myself. I am wondering if the company does custom resizing for vintage bands....

Sorry this doesnt answer the question though. Does anyone know if Omega can resize a vintage beads of rice. I am not resizing it myself. I am wondering if the company does custom resizing for vintage bands....
To resize it past the point of removing links conventionally will damage it and not be able to be put back together the way it was. I doubt you will find someone that will do that.

No they cannot. Certainly in the boutiques.

They may be able to if you’re sending it for service.

To resize it past the point of removing links conventionally will damage it and not be able to be put back together the way it was. I doubt you will find someone that will do that.
If done carefully, in principle the bracelet could be returned to its original condition, although TBH, most likely that wouldn't happen.

But more to the point, even if it were destructive, why shouldn't he do it? It's his bracelet, and not unique or terribly precious. If he wants to modify it so that he can use it, that's his choice, and most watchmakers would have no qualms about doing it. Plenty of people have modified bracelets for their use. I can't think of a single watchmaker that I know who would have any concerns about modifying a bracelet, if I asked them to do it.

Like 1
If done carefully, in principle the bracelet could be returned to its original condition, although TBH, most likely that wouldn't happen.

But more to the point, even if it were destructive, why shouldn't he do it? It's his bracelet, and not unique or terribly precious. If he wants to modify it so that he can use it, that's his choice, and most watchmakers would have no qualms about doing it. Plenty of people have modified bracelets for their use. I can't think of a single watchmaker that I know who would have any concerns about modifying a bracelet, if I asked them to do it.
He is free to do as he pleases, I just know how hard it is to mod and it will most likely be money thrown down the drain.

I've actually done a slightly more significant test on mine - set them exactly, then put them in the winder for a few days and let them alone, then check the time. That may not be the right path for everyone.
This doesn't work too well with a Moonwatch.

Like 1
This doesn't work too well with a Moonwatch.

True that. Although the barbecue roll of the CSM should have kept an automatic wound.. unless a lack of gravity would have prevented most of the rotor movement. I'm trying to envision it in my head.

An auto relies on momentum, it would charge the spring just fine in zero g or in the Moon’s microgravity as long as the astronaut was mobile. There is as no auto chronograph available when NASA was selecting a timepiece, had there been who knows what they would have picked.

An auto relies on momentum, it would charge the spring just fine in zero g or in the Moon’s microgravity as long as the astronaut was mobile. There is as no auto chronograph available when NASA was selecting a timepiece, had there been who knows what they would have picked.

That makes sense.