Forums Latest Members

Steel case gold dial? + The story about my slightly odd Omega

1. lay.dan Apr 23, 2018

Hello everyone,
    A few years ago I was set on one thing and one thing only. A Daniel Wellington. I'll give you a few minutes to laugh at me because I suppose I deserve it, but not having a figure in my life to put me on the right path early led to quite a lot of learning mistakes.
    Thankfully I never ended up getting the DW, I have my brother to credit for that. He mentioned Seiko as an alternative since both of us are half Japanese (the other half being from New Zealand). Then it was the SARB033 for a while, and eventually that led me down the road to finding out about vintage Omega through platforms that had reviewed the SARB033.
    I bought the watch below. A 1962 Omega Seamaster 30 cal. 269 with a linen dial.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Being inexperienced I overlooked something now completely obvious to me... The case is undoubtedly worn and polished. I couldn't have known this however and it's only hindsight that could have stopped this mistake. If I couldn't see silver it must've all been gold! Or so I thought. I've since then learnt that it has service hands and a unsigned crown. Both again danger signs I wouldn't have been able to pick up with the knowledge I had at that point.
    On the bright side I did get it for a bargain compared to what it would have cost if the case was fine. Far less than the SARB033 as well which I thought was a real deal.

Now that I've had this watch for a few years (and had some special moments with it such as my first date with my partner) I would feel extremely sad to just flick it to the next unsuspecting newbie, and not just for the newbie. I'd like to do something about the case however, the base metal under the gold plating oxidizes and forms this green-teal oxidation in parts which I have to carefully remove and it's starting to get a bit tiresome.

Has there ever been an omega reference with a stainless steel case with gold hands and hour markers? Even if not for this particular reference. I'm not much of a collectors value kind of snob and it doesn't keep me up at night if my Omega isn't 100% original and accurate. Not that their isn't a place for that however. If I had paid $3000 for a rare honeycomb 14k gold seamaster it better be damn near perfect.
    Is there anything I can do for this watch? Is it so much of a sin to make it into a 'franken' that I should be shot?
    Whatever it is, I look forward to hearing what you've all got to say.

Opinions of restoring the original case and how I'd go about that are welcome too. It may come down to just which is more feasible and friendly on my pocket.

2. Vitezi Apr 23, 2018

Only us collector snobs care about frankens or original case finishes. Normal people do not care. :) It seems this watch means something to you, so why not get the case replated? Here's one place that will provide that service: http://www.replateit.com/

A replated gold layer will be relatively thin as compared to the original finish, and the gold tint on a replated case may not exactly match the original. But, you'll have a nice looking watch again.

marco and felsby like this.
  3. 77deluxe Apr 23, 2018

Replate it. It’s a great one to wear.

4. lay.dan Apr 23, 2018

Is it still worth replating an overpolished case? The base metal on the lugs is quite rounded compared to limited photos I have seen of the same reference

5. 77deluxe Apr 23, 2018

Yes, if you like it and want to wear it. Probably not if you’re planning to sell.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 23, 2018

So SS with gold markers

Let me think ............
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

lay.dan likes this.
  7. lay.dan Apr 23, 2018

242910-63aa4089eabe3770e126da736bda7b3b.jpg IMG_2093-768x512.jpg
  8. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Apr 28, 2018

9. chipsotoole May 1, 2018

I have one with wrong hands on this black linen beauty... So classy wouldn't change it for the world!
    sea30b.jpg sea30a.jpg

Vitezi likes this.