Started down the rabbit hole

Posts
16
Likes
79
So I decided to take the plunge and buy my first vintage Omega, and as you do I ended up buying two!!!
First one is a 166.095 cal 752 De Ville Automatic, found for sale in Japan (can't see any others for sale anywhere so guess they're fairly rare) sold on a generic leather strap but I'd spotted the matching bracelet with correct endlinks on ebay so snapped them up too!

It was listed as fair condition, and it does have a few fine scratches, couple of marks on the genuine crystal and a little discolouration on the case around the crystal but all of the brushing looks good and the edges are all sharp. To be honest, none of the defects can be seen unless I look really close or zoom in with a camera.
Endlinks of the bracelet are not perfect but I might get my local specialist to see if he can do anything when I drop it in for a quick once over to make sure the movement is all ok.
Really pleased with it and genuinely pleased with the condition of both watch and bracelet

Close up


In terms of my second purchase, it's currently being shipped so no pics yet but it's another japan special - a 166.721

I'm only new here but have to say thanks to the forum as it's a treasure trove of information, but the stories are really bad.....
For my bank balance that is 😁
 
Posts
3,594
Likes
7,805
Welcome. Nice one. Congrats
It looks like unusual one check this thread dedicated to Deville maybe also post it there as its not common.



Also Ash (@dsio ) wrote a review here:

https://stories.omegaforums.net/buying-an-omega-for-less-than-a-moonswatch/
 
Posts
16
Likes
79
Thanks, will do. It was Ash's review that piqued my interest in them, they are quite unusual.
Although, like all vintage Omega's, prices are much higher that a couple of years ago.
 
Posts
23
Likes
3
Sorry for asking but may you share where you bought it from? Did you use Buyee? I was checking some Omega’s there last night but price does not seem that “attractive” to buy there and not on eBay, for example. Thanks in advance!
 
Posts
16
Likes
79
Sorry for asking but may you share where you bought it from? Did you use Buyee? I was checking some Omega’s there last night but price does not seem that “attractive” to buy there and not on eBay, for example. Thanks in advance!
Hi Amuel, no this one I bought from a seller listing on Chrono24. It was also available on their own website so plenty of pictures and detail.

This was listed for £500 and this particular reference I cannot see any sold recently so tough to gauge. There is one that has popped up on JDauctions but is at £650 and auction not finished. I do see more of the 166.053 reference selling for anywhere from £380 to £600 but again varies. I did find one 166.095 with the genuine bracelet for over £1000 sold a number of years ago
I was fully aware I'd also be hit for 20% vat and courier fee but I felt that was acceptable.
I liked this seller as there were many detailed pictures, their own website and they have good ratings on Chrono24. The pictures also showed the movement in good condition and I have to say overall it's in better condition that described.
Buying here will always be cheaper than ebay/chrono24/buyee etc as lots of sellers on those sites are dealers so want to make a profit (they are a business after all) but you have to wait for the right watch to come up.

I'm not sure it's acceptable to name specific sellers but happy to if allowed as I thought they were 100% genuine in both description and service.
 
Posts
3,594
Likes
7,805
You can name the seller if you like. Always good to hear of good experiences.
 
Posts
16
Likes
79
Thank you, just wanted to be sure it was ok.
Seller was aonohappa on chrono24 and their own website aonohappa.jp
 
Posts
167
Likes
585
Welcome to the forum. Cool watch. Look forward to seeing the second one when it arrives!
 
Posts
23
Likes
3
Hi Amuel, no this one I bought from a seller listing on Chrono24. It was also available on their own website so plenty of pictures and detail.

This was listed for £500 and this particular reference I cannot see any sold recently so tough to gauge. There is one that has popped up on JDauctions but is at £650 and auction not finished. I do see more of the 166.053 reference selling for anywhere from £380 to £600 but again varies. I did find one 166.095 with the genuine bracelet for over £1000 sold a number of years ago
I was fully aware I'd also be hit for 20% vat and courier fee but I felt that was acceptable.
I liked this seller as there were many detailed pictures, their own website and they have good ratings on Chrono24. The pictures also showed the movement in good condition and I have to say overall it's in better condition that described.
Buying here will always be cheaper than ebay/chrono24/buyee etc as lots of sellers on those sites are dealers so want to make a profit (they are a business after all) but you have to wait for the right watch to come up.

I'm not sure it's acceptable to name specific sellers but happy to if allowed as I thought they were 100% genuine in both description and service.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Have been checking different sites and I agree that 99% are from dealers and it’s worth being patient to find the right one for a fair price. Thank you again for all the info, best regards!
 
Posts
16
Likes
79
And the second purchase has arrived! 166.721 Geneve with grey dial and mesh bracelet
Quite hard to get a good photo of the dial as no natural light due to the time, plus the crystal could do with a good dose of Polywatch. It's not perfect but I think it's fairly original and unpolished, and I intend to leave it that way.

The japanese seller informed me that it was his father's watch that he inherited but as he doesnt wear watches decided to sell it. Maybe true or not but certainly wasn't advertised, conditioned or priced like a commercial seller would)

Only thing I'm not sure about it whether the crystal is genuine as I can't see an Omega logo on it.
 
Posts
30,172
Likes
77,911
166.721 comes up with "no results found" on the Omega Extranet. Are you sure of that number?