Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Rip76 Oct 23, 2018

CTS-V, Lonestar, WurstEver and 6 others like this.
  2. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 23, 2018

Edited Oct 23, 2018
    CTS-V, Lonestar, Toishome and 4 others like this.
  3. Pixie Oct 24, 2018

7D733C7C-9D28-480E-965E-43C2ADF58F59.jpeg On a train with this bad boy, on my way to an important Job interview!

CTS-V, Redbirdsfan70, jetkins and 5 others like this.
  4. Skipper_S Oct 24, 2018

Good luck with the interview!!!

Pixie likes this.
  5. Pixie Oct 24, 2018

Thanks
    Thank you.

6. nonono Oct 24, 2018

I agree with the fact that this watch is a 'appreciate live' kinda watch. Pics honestly don't do this watch any justice whatsoever (despite some really clean high res pics available to view in the thread). I used to be a hater before I actually saw a friend's tintin in person. After I saw it live, I was totally hooked. Couldn't rest until I had one in the collection. Gladly I joined the party just before the prices started skyrocketing. I do feel lucky because I would have to think long and hard before spending north of 10k for one. I now have 3 and am suffering from tintin indigestion. I wear one, my brother wears the other, and the third I'm keeping in NOS condition until I decide the time is right to sell it. I'd say the time to buy low and sell high has passed. However it's never too late to own this beaut of a watch.
    However having said all that, my favorite speedmaster is still my apollo 15 45th anniversary. Love the pic of the moon buggy on the caseback. So much so that I usually take the watch off at the office and leave it sitting up on the desk so I can see the beautiful workmanship.
    By the way @Pixie I hope the interview goes well!

_20181019_125442.JPG
  7. Pixie Oct 24, 2018

Great post. And thanks - I have a feeling I may have got the job!

8. Skipper_S Oct 24, 2018

Conversation between the attendees of the interview with you after the interview was over and you left the room:

Interviewer #1: WOW!!! Have you seen the watch he wears?
    Interviewer #2: Yes!!! Its a TinTin watch!!!!
    Interviewer #2: Yes!!! He has a great taste.... and he knows to pick the right watch for his wrist!!! This man will be a great addition to our team!!!
    I Want him!
    Interviewer #2: Me 2!!! It was pointless to ask more questions about him!

:)

P.S Congrats in advance !!! :)

robinhook, frazierspa, CTS-V and 4 others like this.
  9. nonono Oct 24, 2018

Congrats buddy! Even more meaningful sentiment attached to your tintin ;) As the saying goes, wear it in good health!

10. Pixie Oct 24, 2018

Ha!! Thanks so much.

11. Pixie Oct 24, 2018

You know it IS an amazing watch. Last year I swapped it for a Rolex Hulk - I also got a baby ploprof in the deal( which I love ) and what with the Rolex’s lack of availablity in the UK it’s second hand price has rocketed, I thought I’d got the lesser deal financially. However, if it takes 2 years on a awaiting list I can always get another Hulk for less than £7k - in two years I won’t be able to get a tin tin for that !

12. Pixie Oct 24, 2018

Thanks mate.

13. T3F Oct 24, 2018

Do you mean the Apollo 15 40th Anniversary LE (I might be mistaken, but I don't think there was a 45th anniversary LE for Apollo 15) with the red, white, and blue rings? Love that one, and finally tracked one down that's NOS. Going to see it Friday and have a funny feeling that I'll leave with it on my wrist.

14. nonono Oct 24, 2018

Yes you're right my bad, it's the 40th anniversary apollo 15. I was so excited while typing my post that I forgot to vet it once I was done! Wow I'd imagine it would have been quite the challenge to hunt down a nos. I'm sure you'll love it once you see it in person. I'll be looking forward to pictures on Friday then!

15. T3F Oct 24, 2018

No worries, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some 45th anniversary model that I didn't know about! :)

It wasn't the easiest hunt, but not as hard as I maybe expected. I'm very excited to see it in person, as I've heard multiple people now describe it as a total sleeper and their favorite Speedy. The only potential issue I have with it is price; the last ones that sold went in the $4,000 range, and this one's at full price ($6,800). However, I can't find any listed in that range now, and those old sales were from before everything started shooting up in price.

16. nonono Oct 24, 2018

I think you can definately find some for cheaper however, on the contingency that they won't be brand new, n.o.s pieces. I've seen some full sets in fairly mint condition go recently for between 4.8-6k usd on a famous, second hand watch selling website chr***24(not gonna name names to avoid anyone thinking I'm promoting an advertisement here or smth) i was actually going to buy mine from a seller on that site(who still has his ad up coincidentally) for 5.2usd but found one at an amazing price from a friend of mine who was selling hers, so decided to go for that one instead.
    I'd say if n.o.s is really important, then you'd have to be prepared to pay a premium because I reckon it'd be quite uncommon to find one in that condition in 2018. I could be wrong though. But there are sets that are in as good as n.o.s condition being sold by private sellers too, for better prices. Either way, the hunt is part of the thrill of collecting watches so, happy hunting, and whatever you chose to go for, satiate our longing eyes with some pics of the latest acquisition when you can!

Redbirdsfan70 and Pun like this.
  17. Mtnmansa Oct 25, 2018

It would cool to get back to the OP and add to the information/provenance and general comments as opposed to a running commentary of the Tintin as a commodity and not an enjoyable collectors watch. Just my 2 cents .

CACFCEE0-B49B-4425-BF6D-317C71307796.jpeg
    blubarb, CTS-V, Lonestar and 7 others like this.
  18. Skipper_S Oct 25, 2018

Chrono24 has one NOS full set for 5.999€ if you are interested
    https://www.chrono24.com.gr/omega/s...niversary-moonwatch-limited-ed--id4448937.htm

wait!!! I just saved you more money :) 4969€
    https://www.chrono24.com.gr/omega/mens-31130423001003-speedmaster-moonwatch--id9423890.htm

Edited Oct 25, 2018
    frazierspa, T3F and Pixie like this.
  19. Philip Loftus Oct 27, 2018

Tintin in Rangoon.

20181027_114751-1.jpg
    frazierspa, CTS-V, Lonestar and 8 others like this.
  20. dk77 Oct 27, 2018

Well, my Tintin is on its way for a dial change.

BTW, I dont get it why no mayor website has picked up on the tintin meteoric rise this year. I would guess it would warrant some kind of attention

Pixie likes this.