Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 19, 2018

I"m not sure what would give you the impression that they're NOT new pieces. I've seen quite a few NOS pieces posted recently that people have been trying to dump after the recent price increase. When I hear that two people bought from a private seller at roughly $2k above the current going rate for a used piece... yeah, I'd kind of assume that those buyers must have requested (and gotten) NOS.

There were plenty of NOS pieces (at MSRP or less) coming out of Japan only as recently as this year. I know plenty of people who'd be happy to flip a piece for a quick instant profit.

2. T3F Oct 19, 2018

Feel free to send them my way, as I'd be happy to buy one and give them "a quick, instant profit!" :D

In all seriousness, though, the one listed on eBay is interesting.

Edited Oct 19, 2018
    mokofoko likes this.
  3. Ludi Oct 19, 2018

Bought new 3 years ago for my wife because she thought the watch is fashionably cool, worn as intended, don’t care about the recent growth of value...

8BB5F04E-ADF3-4951-9EDE-CCD44E9B08D5.jpeg

... isn’t it the purpose of this very watch ?

Investment topic out !

ps: without pics this topic becomes useless

robinhook, blubarb, CTS-V and 8 others like this.
  4. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 19, 2018

I'm not sure why the topic of money bothers so many here. If it weren't for these posts (granted, there's a lot of them recently), the thread would be much less lively. We can revel in our investment choice without having any intention of selling.

If I knew someone else with one of these, I'd have probably already tried to buy it (at a reasonable price of course) :)

5. WurstEver Oct 19, 2018

Great photo @Ludi! You captured an aspect of the Tintin dial that was the first thing that surprised me when I saw mine in the metal: it's the way the checkerboard pattern tends to exaggerate the downward curve of the dial at the edges. I've cropped the relevant part of your photo below. Please just let me know if you'd prefer I didn't reproduce it.

Along with the illusory step and the bright pop and high shine of the red checks, this little point of interest makes the Tintin dial a real looker up close.

_20181020_093630.JPG

6. ptfly Oct 19, 2018

NOS 777767xx acquired. Wanted one for sometime and just stumbled on to it a few days ago. Warranty dated 10-18-2018.

7. WurstEver Oct 19, 2018

Congratulations and welcome to the Tintin club! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine. :thumbsup:

8. T3F Oct 19, 2018

Nice! Did you find this at an AD? I've called a few with no luck, and I'm trying to decide whether to keep looking or just suck it up and pay the premium on the aftermarket.

9. ptfly Oct 19, 2018

AD while traveling. Last one there. Actually stopped in to try on a zenith pilot in smaller size. Was walking out and that red/white dial caught my eye.

Redbirdsfan70, T3F, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  10. DWash Oct 19, 2018

Pic's or it didn't happen :)

ptfly and Pun like this.
  11. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 19, 2018

You sure got lucky. I thought the supply of these through ADs and OBs had been long since exhausted.

12. sn0wman72 Oct 19, 2018

That's a lucky find...where did you happen upon this, and the fish?

13. Skipper_S Oct 20, 2018

Can you share the price?

Congrats! Enjoy it

14. ATWG Oct 20, 2018

I remeber these going for $2,800 when they first came out. Just astonishing to see where prices have climbed to. I didn’t buy with investment in mind, just thought it was a very cool and unique dial.

Pun likes this.
  15. ptfly Oct 21, 2018

Oh pics will come in a couple of days. Just got home and pretty jet lagged.

DWash likes this.
  16. ptfly Oct 21, 2018

I am still amazed at the find but of course I did hit a ton of shops as i do anytime I travel. I was actually hunting vintage shops but decided to walk into this shop after several hours of shopping.
    The fish is a brown trout. Landed and released on the San Juan river in New Mexico. I spend a week there every year with my family.
    I picked up the watch in Asia.

Edited Oct 21, 2018
  17. ptfly Oct 21, 2018

Thank you. I just keep opening my travel case and looking at the dial. It is still in plastic.
    I have been having a battle in my head to keep or move. I think I need to move a couple of others to keep it.
    I am generally pretty confident in my strap and bracelet skills but I may take to an OB to help size the bracelet because of the little screws. A couple of weeks and i will be in a town with and OB.

WurstEver likes this.
  18. BLAUGRANA Oct 21, 2018

I wasn't under the impression that they weren't NOS pieces nor did my post suggest as much. As for the buyers paying that much, that doesn't mean they were NOS. I know a grey dealer that regularly sells above "the going rate" when I can find the same watches for what I would say is notably less and in the same condition.

19. oomd Oct 22, 2018

Mine 777977xx

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 22, 2018
    CTS-V, Rip76, Redbirdsfan70 and 4 others like this.
  20. ptfly Oct 22, 2018

Still wrapped up for now. Wound up to check the accuracy.
    [​IMG]

CTS-V, Lonestar, 10thSquare and 8 others like this.