Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. nonono Oct 4, 2018

Thanks for the info. There are only 3 left on chr*** the last I checked, one of which is already reserved. The remaining two are listed up for approx 8.5k-9.5k usd. There were quite a few tintins available not more than a month ago, and it seems they were all snapped up. I guess it's wait and see time now...

mokofoko likes this.
  2. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

I was shocked when I saw that selling price--and it was USED! I stopped in just to see if anyone had commented on the upward trend. I check the ebay market every few months, and earlier in the year they were selling for closer to $4k, and always 4+ available from Japanese resellers. Now there's practically none showing up on ebay. I guess Japan finally ran out of their surplus on new tintins. I'll be really interested to see how these things are priced in the next few years--the climb in value to this point has already vastly exceeded my expectations... considering how frequently folks voiced displeasure over the dial design (back when it was still in production).

I'm kind of kicking myself for not buying a new one from Japan for ~$3200 USD only last year... available at that price for a number of months. I kind of figured the price would climb, but double in a year? And for a non-LE too (even though it sort of is).

Edited Oct 4, 2018
    robinhook, Pun and nonono like this.
  3. nonono Oct 4, 2018

Yea no surprises that stock has dried up on eBay as well. It's ironic how the tintin was overlooked by so many, while the dark side of the moon was the main highlight of baselworld 2013!

Skipper_S, Pun and mokofoko like this.
  4. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

It's funny, the DSotM watch was the one I really wanted at the time, but the going rate seemed high. If anything, I think the DSotM value has dipped in the last few years... Surprising how they're not selling for much more than tintins at this point. Glad I "settled" for the tintin. I always thought the step-dial was attractive, and it's the perfect watch to wear to the Indy500 :)

Pun and nonono like this.
  5. nonono Oct 4, 2018

It's the exact same sentiments I have with the new dsotm. I really love it, but watch it's price drop 20-30% over the next few years.. I'll probably get it then ;)

mokofoko likes this.
  6. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

Darn it, why did you have to mention that. Now I think I want a DSotM again. I thought I was over this.

7. teojjsg Oct 4, 2018

The 9300 calibre used in DSotM is a gem. Super accurate with minimal servicing over the years. But i think there is an inherent fault with some batches whereby the hr hand will be misaligned with use. Meaning when the min hand is at the 60th minute, the hr hand will not be spot on to the hr. I experienced this with both my PO and Speedmaster 44.25mm.

mokofoko likes this.
  8. nonono Oct 4, 2018

Hahaha my bad! :whipped:

9. nonono Oct 4, 2018

I have a speedmaster '57, which uses the 9300. Agree with everything u said. Thankfully I haven't experienced any trouble with misalignment yet. I also absolutely love the feeling of pressing the chrono pushers. Very premium feel, if that makes sense haha

mokofoko likes this.
  10. sgrossma Oct 4, 2018

It all depends on what Omega produces in the coming years. My opinions have changed a little recently, but if they keep up with 3-5 new LE releases a year, I don't see this going up much past 7.5-8k. There are simply too many alternatives which are getting easier to get with or without modest premiums. It seems with time everything increases though..................until it doesn't.
    But being as I own many Speedys, I certainly hope they all keep going up indefinitely :)

mokofoko and nonono like this.
  11. Redbirdsfan70 Oct 4, 2018

The Tintin does not have a step dial. Look at it under a loupe and you'll see.

mokofoko likes this.
  12. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

Hmm, maybe just my eyes playing tricks due to the look of the rings. Hard to see with that hesalite.

13. XXoF Oct 4, 2018

Greetings from sunny Lisbon

EF4FEABC-5226-4A9D-AD0F-FD38734B5C7B.jpeg

robinhook, CTS-V, frazierspa and 3 others like this.
  14. Redbirdsfan70 Oct 4, 2018

The paint of the checkered pattern is raised up a bit over the dial giving the illusion of a step dial but it's definitely not a step dial. Look at the dial under magnification and you'll see.

xantiagib, mokofoko and Pun like this.
  15. nickoftime1981 Oct 4, 2018

I have no doubt that it would have fetched more, but the seller did not want to ship outside of the USA. I know of two friends from another forum from Australia that were prepared to pay more than what it sold for.

mokofoko likes this.
  16. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

So that wasn't a fluke then. Any idea what they would have considered bidding? That might be the best indicator of the current market for these tintins.

I don't blame the seller for only shipping domestic. I've had enough bad experiences shipping internationally. A lot of countries used to lack proper signature services and/or made it difficult to get copies of the confirmation. And all it takes is one person to balk at paying a duty, then you end up losing hundreds on shipping.

17. nickoftime1981 Oct 4, 2018

One was prepared to pay $6500 USD. You also have to take into account that its subject to a further 10% in duty when it lands.

mokofoko likes this.
  18. teojjsg Oct 9, 2018

There's another mint, full set for sale in Singapore. SGD8K which works out to be around USD5.8K. If you guys have friends/relatives located here, might be worth a look.

19. Mitsukoshi_Man Oct 11, 2018

where is this listed? thanks

teojjsg likes this.
  20. teojjsg Oct 11, 2018

Local Singapore Carouxxxx. That's a market place for all kinds of stuff. Not limited to watches.

Edited and blocked out the name of market place. In case against the rules here. Anyway, Pm'ed you. Are you local as well?