Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. BLAUGRANA Aug 17, 2018

Pardon my ignorance, but not entirely sure what you mean by just "watch head", but it has the bracelet on it. I won't have papers, but I can get a box for about $100.

Well mine is actually missing links, but it fits me perfectly. I know another forum member bought on box and papers, but they somehow got them mixed up so maybe I got the one you saw with box and papers. Anyway, yes, thank you, it is in impeccable condition. I wasn't going to wear until I got a strap (all of my watches are on straps), but decided to wear it anyway and I love it on the bracelet. Very versatile piece that I almost consider a "Summer" watch. Really enjoying it.

Ditto here. When I got mine it was the cheapest out there and looked like it was in the best condition (I studied the two that were listed on Crown and Caliber and chose the one I thought was in better shape). Still best I was seeing just after that was $5900 or so. Anyway, it's definitely going up. And since there seems to be some discussion about recent sales, I would just note that Revolution had two for sale for $5900 that both sold right around the same time I bought mine and assuming they negotiated at all I doubt it was for more than 10%.

Redbirdsfan70 and smitty190373 like this.
  2. DWash Aug 17, 2018

Not trying to interrupt the conversation..., but I'm the one who had the mix up with the papers from C&C in ATL. The one I finally got had matching papers and wooden box. I haven't noticed any missing links in the bracelet, but who knows. Happy with the one I have, and I really have not been paying attention to prices as I have no intention of selling mine. I bought it because I like the watch.
    This is the original watch that I sent back.
    IMG_2478.JPG

Redbirdsfan70 and BLAUGRANA like this.
  3. rominvicta Aug 18, 2018

I have not been following this thread for some time and just got quite surprised. What is this hype for? It is a beautiful watch but I wouldn’t say it is something stunning. I bought mine like three years ago from an AD and watch was readily available at Omega, well and price was like less than half of what you currently mention as good price for slightly used pieces.

4. dm13 Aug 18, 2018

Looks awesome!

5. Redbirdsfan70 Aug 18, 2018

You know us watch collectors love a good story and the Tintin has a great one. So, the story, the scarcity of the item, and the fact that it is stunning in the metal are why the hype exists.

Greatpa and Pun like this.
  6. Redbirdsfan70 Aug 18, 2018

They might have had the inventory screwed up when I visited their offices in March/April or they may have acquired the one @DWash got after I was there. I also recall they had one with papers and no box (or was it the other way around?) but the chrono was pausing and then jumping when initiated instead of just getting right down to it and that irritated me so I passed on it. C&C seems like a great place to do business though. All the Tintin examples I looked at were super clean and they were very pleasant to me.

7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 18, 2018

901F3813-5C64-4ECF-9946-2DC961FEEBA0.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-18_8-53-34.jpeg
    It looks good with the Cardinal colors
    See if it brings any luck this season
    I purchased the Tintin after looking at many Speedmaster models, the one I found was at great price compared to other non base model Speedmaster.
    Other Tintin prices at the time I purchased were closer to $5k. Made the $4k offer, transferred funds, had it in less than 24 hours.

Edited Aug 18, 2018
    DWash likes this.
  8. dwboston Aug 18, 2018

The "hype" is nothing more than a watch forum echo chamber of biased parties convincing each other that their "investments" are rising in "value".

Steve88M3, Greatpa and Mtnmansa like this.
  9. dwboston Aug 18, 2018

I'm really not picking on TinTin owners but I've seen this before on other forums that deal with other topics. Case in point - high-end "Tour" putters in the golf world, specifically the Scotty Cameron brand. Cameron's Tour putters (separate from his retail offerings sold by Titleist) have many of the hallmarks of the limited edition watch game: limited in supply and only available through a small number of hand-picked distributors; high prices - $4k and up; a certificate of authenticity system and registry set up through Cameron's Custom Shop, for a fee of course; a rabid community of collectors (where heretics and apostates are excommunicated); a massive focus on the value of one's collection and hyping up asking prices, while obscuring actual sale prices among collectors; collectors in the inner circle have greater access to special items, and their items are given preferential treatment in the COA process (i.e. higher grades, authentication of items with questionable provenance, outright revision of history by Cameron, etc).

The echo chamber aspect is eerily similar, which is amusing in these TinTin threads. Typically a small group of owners/collectors, talking mainly to each other, amazed at how quickly their items are escalating in value, outlandish predictions of future price increases, and constantly referring to the "hype" that they have created. In my experience, it's generally impossible to predict which items will rise sharply in the future. Wishful thinking won't make it happen. The biggest difference I see in this forum is the greater transparency around sale prices, which I appreciate as a newer member.

10. naidanac Aug 18, 2018

You're forgetting one thing - the perceived value of the TinTin was not realized when the watch was marketed by the manufacturer.
    No hype whatsoever; it was initially a fluke.
    There is also a very small chance that the colour scheme is going to re-done. I guess the same can't be said about the Gemini IV.

Redbirdsfan70 likes this.
  11. sn0wman72 Aug 18, 2018

A more likely comparison in terms of Cameron products would be the limited edition releases (My Girl's and Holiday's as an example). Cameron tour putters really are one of a kind (the hand stamped versions, not the engraved selects).

Passionate collectors exist in many niche products, be that watches, putters, knives or ? Sometimes the passion narrows a collector's or group of collectors perspectives and the result can be...well interesting

12. dwboston Aug 18, 2018

I'm not forgetting anything. MSRP has nothing to do with aftermarket value, especially a few years later. We'll see if the outlandish predictions come true down the line. I'll bet they won't. And I don't care what the "value" of the Gemini IV is now or later. I was happy to buy it and I'm not selling. My 10-year old son can worry about the value 30 years from now. :)

rominvicta likes this.
  13. naidanac Aug 18, 2018

I wasn't talking about MSRP. I mentioned perceived value - ergo, hype.
    I also own a Gemini IV so it wasn't a personal attack on you. :)
    We're all friends here, after all.

rominvicta likes this.
  14. dwboston Aug 18, 2018

No worries - I'm not taking any of this seriously. Tone doesn't get conveyed in text, hence the :).

15. dwboston Aug 18, 2018

The Tour putters really aren't one of a kind. They crank them out with slight stamping differences and sell through the distributors like Table Rock. Check out TCC some time (if they approve your membership :)) for what I'm talking about relative to the community.

16. naidanac Aug 18, 2018

:thumbsup:

17. sn0wman72 Aug 18, 2018

Hand stamped tour putters are one of a kind, no two are exactly the same, they may be similar but they are not identical. I am pretty aware of TCC and what was the Cameron community long before TCC existed. Have a closer look at my avatar...a one of a kind 009M in chromo bronze

18. dwboston Aug 18, 2018

No two are exactly the same? They're all the same, save carbon or stainless, a different neck, different finish, or different stamps. They've all got the Circle T though right? Kind of like all the DSOTM variations.

The 009M is really nice. I prefer the original, the DH89. ;)

Edited Aug 18, 2018
  19. BLAUGRANA Aug 18, 2018

I'm not sure, but I recall reading somewhere that they had something like five overall just a few months ago and now they're all gone. Regardless of that upon reading your post I immediately went to mine to see how the chronograph was running. No issues with mine. :thumbsup:

Redbirdsfan70 likes this.
  20. naidanac Aug 18, 2018

Let’s keep the fun going!

F815B165-A1A8-482F-854B-A049AEF655C9.jpeg
    blubarb, CTS-V, xantiagib and 7 others like this.