Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 20, 2018

If you want to pay for my time at the same rate I charge for servicing, then I'll consider it, but it will mean inputting every single serial number in the proposed "range" to see what reference number it comes up with. Translation - it won't be cheap and I'm not doing it for free. And I'm not kidding one bit...;)

2. jetkins Jun 20, 2018

Hmmm, how can we convince Mr Omega to cough up that database...? :)

xantiagib likes this.
  3. jetkins Jun 20, 2018

Cool! I didn't realize such a tool (or at least, access to it) existed outside of Omega's hallowed walls.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 20, 2018

You clearly have not been paying attention...:)

5. xantiagib Jun 22, 2018

that may take a while unless a few of us can number crunch a few at a time - where can this info be looked up?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 22, 2018

No place that you can access - it's not publicly available.

xantiagib likes this.
  7. BLAUGRANA Jun 22, 2018

Curious to get opinions. I was waffling between two Tintins online. Here are the differences:

A) Watch only on the bracelet, so no box and papers. Condition is like new, even the bracelet. Bracelet must be sized and missing links, but it fits my 7" wrist absolutely perfectly.

B) Watch, box and papers. Condition is excellent, but not as good as watch A. I know the closeups amplify things that with the naked eye I might miss, but in the photos it was enough of a difference for me. Bracelet must be sized and missing links, but it looks like it would fit my wrist perfectly.

Watch A is about $150 cheaper than watch B. I went with watch A based on condition. I tend to take good care of my watches and I figured I could just get a box from eBay. Anyway, thoughts on which one to go with? I can always swap them if need be.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 22, 2018

I would go with box and papers, assuming the Watch B) issues were minor. Heck, the one I went for had a small ding in the bezel and a scratch on the crystal. But chances are i would have marked it sooner or later anyway.

bazderome and BLAUGRANA like this.
  9. ATWG Jun 22, 2018

Watch B all the way, once you wear it in your rotation it will get those slight marks over time any ways.

Lonestar and BLAUGRANA like this.
  10. BLAUGRANA Jun 22, 2018

Appreciate the replies guys, but the second also did NOT have box and papers. I think I just figured out what happened. @DWash recently mentioned in this thread how he picked one up and the serial numbers didn't match. I got mine from the same place and watch B was initially listed with box and papers, but I think they were the box and papers to @DWash 's Tintin! So the listing for watch B has changed. So that said I'm quite happy as they haven't adjust the price and mine is in "like new" condition and I take very good care of my watches. At the end of the day I'll just pick up a box.

As for the watch itself, I'll share some initial thoughts:

-The dial is really fantastic at the right angle in the daylight. I've seen some photos that have demonstrated this, but not too many. If you like the dial I wouldn't hesitate in getting one as it's better in person. Even at night under light it can look fantastic. That outer checker edge to the dial just looks amazing.
    -I think I'll put it on a strap as I think I'll prefer it that way. We'll see. It still looks quite nice on the bracelet and I like contrasting brushed/polish look.
    -I have four Speedmasters now (First Omega in Space, 60th Anniversary and Speed Tuesday are the other three) and this is my least favorite of the bunch. That's not a typo and it doesn't mean I don't like the watch, but I prefer the others. That said I'd say the dial itself is arguably the most impressive, though I prefer the subdials of the Speedy Tuesday.
    -I know this is the Tintin thread, but I largely compared it with my FOIS on the wrist. Have to say that the FOIS is a fantastic watch that is in my opinion incredibly underrated.

Anyway, I feel as though I've been bit by the Speedy bug and this is a nice addition.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 22, 2018

I put mine on an Omega leather strap/ deployant, and it became my daily wearer. I like my '67, 60th and #ST, and #PCA, but they battle for wrist time when we go out to dinner/ events. I guess part of that is due to them being 'nicer' or 'more special', so I want to preserve them the best I can. The TinTin is great for wearing to work, as I do not obsess about it -- although that may change as values keep going up.

frazierspa likes this.
  12. BLAUGRANA Jun 22, 2018

So now I'm thinking it might be cool to pair it with the standard Speedy Pro box and set. Would make a nice combination even though that isn't how it came.

bent_remy and xantiagib like this.
  13. DWash Jun 23, 2018

Blaugrana, I hope that is the watch that I initially had....it was beautiful. I hated to send it back, but I had papers for a different watch and specifically asked for the one with papers. I hope you enjoy it.
    I'll post pics of the one they sent me soon. I do love it.

frazierspa and BLAUGRANA like this.
  14. BLAUGRANA Jun 24, 2018

I'm not sure. My guess is it's a different watch altogether. They had two left up on the site when I got mine and while you were sending yours back. I have a feeling another will go up soon or more likely the other they had listed when I got mine, that said box and papers, is now the one you had as they removed the box and papers portion of the listing. Hopefully the one you get is as nice as the one you sent back.

DWash likes this.
  15. xantiagib Jun 25, 2018

you can buy the large wooden box from an Omega Dealer - not too expensive either

As for the omega database - yes it would take ages - but the only way to do it legally - I doubt omega would give anyone the raw data to be able to do some automated crunching on it...

Edited Jun 25, 2018
    DWash and BLAUGRANA like this.
  16. BLAUGRANA Jun 25, 2018

Boutique turned me down, so I'll look for an AD.

17. xantiagib Jun 27, 2018

AD better chance - if not check with local watchdealers near the AD they may have a 'special' relationship with them and can get hold of anything

18. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 27, 2018

I'm sure you can post a "wanted" ad here and that would possibly land you one from the folks who want to make some space at home :)

BLAUGRANA likes this.
  19. Rip76 Jun 27, 2018

Curious.
    What are they currently selling for right now.

I don’t want to put mine up, but I may need to.

20. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 27, 2018

ebay "sold items" your friend... looks like 100-150EUR-ish.

meaning "not much" in the grand scheme of watch collecting things...