Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2018

No idea actually. I don't have any particular insight into this, I'm just going by what Omega says on their web site:

"EXTRACT OF THE ARCHIVES
    Owners of OMEGA watches made before 2000 can place an order online for an extract from our archives."

I'm guessing that watches before 2000 may give them the best opportunity to pull more money out of people's pockets, and that post 2000 there isn't enough demand to make it worthwhile. But that's just a guess...

Cheers, Al

frazierspa, Pun and CTS-V like this.
  2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 9, 2018

I don't think this stacks up. The 'special' watches, on which valuation goes bonkers are almost always aesthetically great, whatever the other factors such as rarity, technical innovation or a conceptual/visual link with something/someone culturally significant.

I had phases when I was pretty keen on acquiring a Tintin, but, the more I studied ads and their pictures, the more I realised that I was on a displacement activity - my underlying mission was to find and buy a Japan Racing. In comparison with that, the Tintin dial represents a concept only partially fulfilled. The red chequers are attractive, but stand-alone they don't do it for me, and I sense there should be another visual element carrying the red hue and providing a reference to the outside world. As someone showed us in a recent post, a depiction of that charismatic little stylised rocket somewhere on the dial would be perfect.

Given that we understand Omega were prevented from executing the design as originally envisaged, I feel that the situation would have been better salvaged if a different pattern band colour had been used, making the overall 'look' more harmonious - there's something a little brash about the contrast of full blooded red against stark white.

frazierspa likes this.
  3. JPE.88305 Jun 9, 2018

I would disagree.
    Often the driving factor with future collectible items is not their intended scarcity or aesthetic appeal (though that certainly factors in), but the accidental nature of their scarcity and / or the story behind their origin...look at coins, stamps, sports cards, vintage cars...the overwhelming driving factor in value is unintended appeal or unintentional scarcity or production errors. Certainly watches are not simply mass produced items like coins and stamps, but they are certainly mass produced, and what adds value to jewelry items aside from who wore them is what the story is behind them. This particular watch has a unique story that rarely if ever happens in the horological world, and the fact that story came out only years after the fact makes it even more intriguing.
    And I will admit that the story around this watch is THE driving factor for many people purchasing it — including me: this is the first speedy I’ve owned, the first of hopefully many, and the process of acquiring this watch has not scratched the itch it has intensified it. The fact it’s an extremely fun watch to wear is a bonus, it’s the story I love and a huge driving factor.

4. viwa64 Jun 9, 2018

I would like to add my 2 Full sets to this thread,
    serial 77.797.7xx and 77.815.0xx
    E6CCE7D7-A63C-48C0-AF81-8EDA1188F047.jpeg

ptfly, blubarb, Watchmutt and 10 others like this.
  5. DWash Jun 9, 2018

Relatively new to the forum. Just bought a TinTin after looking at them for several years. Found a dealer relatively close buy who actually had four of them (they bought them from the a collector who finally decided to sell), and two of them had papers. Called them up and asked for one of the two that had the cards and box, but when I received it, serial numbers didn't match!! :-( Called them back and said they'd made a mistake, so we arranged to exchange watches. So unfortunately I had to send it back, but I do have both numbers to throw in the compilation:
    77.797.8xx and 77.809.5xx. The second is the one I'll supposedly get next week. If not I'll be making a 3 hour drive to make sure I get the correct one. Anyway, here's a pic of the one that got away :) I'm in love with it!!
    TinTin.JPG

6. blubarb Jun 9, 2018

Thanks all for keeping me up to date with movement numbers - Lowest recorded number seen is 77 727 10x and highest is 77 815 69x

TimeTicker, frazierspa, CTS-V and 3 others like this.
  7. Df13 Jun 11, 2018

Ha! I came here today to mention how ridiculous this is. Write a long "blog" post about how the Tintin could be the next Newman Daytona, and then link the Tintin for sale at the end of it. Talk about drumming up hype, but I guess that's where we're at with the internet and watches these days.

tyrantlizardrex, BLAUGRANA and Ree like this.
  8. blubarb Jun 12, 2018

:rolleyes: I wouldn't let your internet cynicism get in the way of owning this watch while you can. :whistling: I suspect one person's hype is another person's information.

9. bazderome Jun 12, 2018

Mine at FL340 yesterday evening somewhere above Himalayas
    20180611_190228.jpg

10. BLAUGRANA Jun 13, 2018

Is that a Hodinkee strap? The grey? Curious if you have any more pictures you could add of that combination.

blubarb likes this.
  11. xantiagib Jun 13, 2018

I found the perfect strap! .........or is it too much chequered-ness ?
    [​IMG]

12. blubarb Jun 13, 2018

With all due respect...:eek: lol

Edited Jun 13, 2018
    xantiagib likes this.
  13. BLAUGRANA Jun 13, 2018

I think there's enough "hype" away from that as well. Fratello Watches has been positive about it and Matt Hranek, author of "A Man and his Watch" just bought one as well. Also, the post you're referencing was written by Wei Koh who if you saw his "Talking Watches" has quite a few Speedmasters and probably one for himself despite selling that one. To your point though, yeah, it is kind of laughable to make that post and then have multiple links to the one you're selling. I mean if Hodinkee did that the World might end.

xantiagib likes this.
  14. Df13 Jun 13, 2018

Yeah, I've seen his talking watches. It's just starting to feel like the watch industry as a whole is drumming up a lot of hype to keep things going.

Don't get me wrong, the Tintin is awesome, but calling it the next Newman Dayton is hyperbolic.

blubarb, xantiagib and Alex06 like this.
  15. BLAUGRANA Jun 15, 2018

Obviously it's hyperbolic and I agree, but I would also note he pretty much said as much in his piece.

A lot of the hype is coming from the three gentlemen I mentioned, but it should be noted that all three from what I can tell own one and wear it as part of their respective collections. I think the real question should be is the hype legitimate?

16. Sunsetamps Jun 15, 2018

I hate to break it to the cynics but the Tin-Tin is highly sought after right now by many big name collectors. I’ve been messaged by a few myself unfortunately I got 1 from an Omega friend in the marketing department and I’ll never sell it. The next Newman Daytona? I think closer to the next Snoopy. It’s a $10k and up Speedy this time next year. Great watch. Newman Daytona? Hyperbolic for now but maybe not in year 2068.

Alex06 and Pun like this.
  17. BLAUGRANA Jun 15, 2018

For the record my post wasn't cynical (not that you were referring to me). That's why I noted the collectors that I did.

We'll have to wait and see about next year. That sounds a bit much, but if I like the one I just ordered I hope you're right. I'll be honest and say that while I like the watch, I'm also speculating a bit here. My biggest concern is what strap to put on it. Haven't seen but maybe one good combination so far (apart from the Natos that Revolution used). Really looking forward to getting it next week as I think I'm going to really like it. I'm also glad I got in at a price that was lower than MSRP and lower than what most are going for of late (at least from what I've seen).

18. Sunsetamps Jun 15, 2018

I think the Snoopy strap is the perfect combo.

bent_remy, xantiagib and BLAUGRANA like this.
  19. BLAUGRANA Jun 15, 2018

Thanks for the recommendation. Not for me though. I think that strap looks a bit modern for the Tintin. (Can't believe people bastardized their Speedy Tuesdays with that strap, but to each their own). I'd actually prefer that strap on a Whatever Side of the Moon or on the Snoopy itself, but I don't have any of those.

I'm thinking of going with one of the following:

-One of the Natos Revolution shows with their listing.
    -Darker brown racing strap (probably Hodinkee's).
    -One of those velcro space numbers.
    -A brown color range strap with side stitching.

Probably the last route, but we'll see.

20. Sunsetamps Jun 15, 2018

I do like the Omega Natos and any distressed brown leather.