Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. xantiagib May 23, 2018

Not sure whether to post the pictures here or not - they are heavily stylized to protect the non-agreement with Omega - then again Omega may throw the hissyfit and stop people seeing the real one at the museum..... for now answering PMS about it only

blubarb and CTS-V like this.
  2. xantiagib May 23, 2018

If the love of Tintin in Omega directorship still endures after the Moulinsart fracas - then maybe we will see one one day, however it should only make the current 'tintin' more collectable I would think...

3. jetkins May 23, 2018

Kinda like "I knew him before he was famous."

Pun likes this.
  4. omegadave May 23, 2018

Here's my amateur sketch and rendition of the elusive Tintin dial based on “actual” details regarding the Tintin Speedmaster piece residing in the Omega Museum.

Thank you to the anonymous OF posters here for the intel.

tintin-omegadave.jpg

Edited May 23, 2018
  5. Timmovitz May 23, 2018

Hi
    I would love to see the pictures if you are kind to send to [email protected]. I'll keep confidential of course. Best Tim

xantiagib likes this.
  6. teojjsg May 23, 2018

I do not think you need to worry about the value dropping. At the current price for a Tin Tin, it is only about 5-10% higher than a normal speedmaster. At least that's the way it is in Singapore.

Ree likes this.
  7. teojjsg May 23, 2018

That is really really nice. If we can gather say 50 of us owners, anyone knows the estimated price to print this on our dials? Or print those tattoo stickers to paste on our dials so that it is reversible???

8. Sunsetamps May 23, 2018

Thanks for the great thread friends. I was happy to add some information from my marketing friends at Omega. I do not believe Omega will ever make an error like this again so no I do not think a true TinTin themed watch with all the added attributes will happen. The 1500 That are in circulation are it! If it wasn’t for Omega trying to rename it a racing edition and distributing these to Asian markets with zero effort-to then purchase them back and redistribute to other markets-if it wasn’t for that mess this would already be a $10k Speedy. The “appearance” of “new” stock occasionally prevented the hype from taking hold but those days are over. The watches true history is out now and stock is gone. It will be a climber. Keep the TinTin if you own it, best Speedmaster to buy for collector value.

Watchmutt, blubarb, xantiagib and 4 others like this.
  9. Sunsetamps May 23, 2018

Also really TinTin is a great nickname. But Destination Moon was to be big part of this watch.

blubarb and xantiagib like this.
  10. Pun May 24, 2018

TinTin was sold till very recently (3 months ago) at 10-15% lower than the vanilla Speedmaster in India at Omega ADs. One or two pieces might still be available in some smaller towns quoted at lower price than normal Speedy. This is because Omega price list quotes TinTin at lower than other Speedmasters!!

11. bent_remy May 24, 2018

It may have the opposite effect and deman would more than likely increase. Kinda like when the prices of the Pepsi and Coke GMT’s shot up after the Batman was released.

12. bent_remy May 24, 2018

This is true. When the Tin Tin was displayed on the Omega website in North American a few years back it had an MSRP of $4650 USD as compared to $5250 USD for the original Speedy pro.

13. Philip Loftus May 24, 2018

Great job on the rendition. Very satisfying to see!

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere and I missed it but anyone know whether the rocket was also handpainted as the red and white chequerboard is?

14. xantiagib May 24, 2018

hand painted would be amazing but more like hand-stamped from stencils

blubarb likes this.
  15. xantiagib May 24, 2018

ah what could have been - I think I prefer it if the seconds subdial had the rocket ticking round and keep the dial clean... though the caseback would have been killer...!

who know what moulinsart could have agreed to in the end this was one of the ideas put forward to them- in the end there wasnt one....

Philip Loftus and bent_remy like this.
  16. Philip Loftus May 24, 2018

Agree about the cleaner look to the dial. Maybe understated is best, after all how many rockets with a chequerboard decoration apart from Tintin's have visited the moon. The caseback is a diff story.

Pun likes this.
  17. xantiagib May 25, 2018

a snowy in his spacesuit at 4.30 would have been nice too

still nicer than anything else out there like:

[​IMG]

Edited May 25, 2018
  18. TimeTicker Jun 2, 2018

A big shout out to you omegadave for your excellent dial rendition. You've done the near impossible, provide us with an accurate illustration of what the Tintin watch dial would have looked like. Job well done!!!

blubarb likes this.
  19. blubarb Jun 4, 2018

Possible that Omega made 1907 dials for the year of Hergé's birth or 1983 for the year of his death? I would think that there would be some connection to Hergé rather than a random production number. Another possibility could be 3,000 for the 30 years since his death to 2013 or even better 300 :D;) lol

ps. As Repoman says: "assume production started roughly in that same time-frame, say 1H2013. Production seems to have been completed in roughly mid-2014, there are quotes from Omega folks saying as much, so this seems fairly reliable."

Edited Jun 4, 2018
    CTS-V likes this.
  20. blubarb Jun 4, 2018

A mate in Tokyo, who has been to more than 50 watch shops on a 3 day trip, saw only four Tintin racing dials for sale. There should still be some in Osaka, but all the big chains have sold out.

Lonestar likes this.