Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. S. JWood Sep 15, 2017

Very casual Friday.

IMG_5525.JPG

2. Ah Dar Sep 15, 2017

I don't really agreed as there are many LE speedy bought because of this reason and they are getting more sought after. Example: Spoopy, Alaska project, and the more recent Speedy Tuesday.
    Is always about Supply and demand. Imagine there are tons of Daytona SS on the market but the price is also crazy till it became similar price as a AP RO SS. Do you guys really think tat daytona SS actually worth that price? It all depends on individual..

Pun likes this.
  3. Greatpa Sep 16, 2017

Yes, you are right, many truly Limited Editions get more demand :thumbsup:.. And some do not (e.g. Apollo XVII, Moon to Mars)
    There are still quite a lot BNIB Tintins for sale here and there.. Yes, maybe some day it will reach a higher demand, but it has not been so for the last couple of years.. ;)

4. Ah Dar Sep 16, 2017

Bottom line. Buy the watch to enjoy. Others are bonus. If one just buy a watch for investment. Is actually a very sad case as most of the time the return is bad. Lol.

IMG_6302.JPG
    Pun, the.watchdoc, kevlar and 5 others like this.
  5. Watchmutt Sep 16, 2017

Agree. That is the bottom line. Buy watches to enjoy, buy stocks for investment. But if your watch gets more valuable, that's a plus.

6. Rip76 Sep 24, 2017

7. S. JWood Sep 24, 2017

Watchgecko

Rip76 likes this.
  8. kevlar Sep 25, 2017

I have one on order my first 'real' watch I would say, find it really interesting the story behind the nick named 'Tin Tin' I have no interest in the Tin Tin comics etc being 100% honest. I was going to order a new moonwatch, but saw one of these for sell I like the extra colour, appreciate as well it was originally a race watch which I was not originally aware of.

Will add my serial number details when it finally arrives, also like these on a nato ordered some in ready for it to arrive all my current natos are 22mm..typical!.

9. kevlar Sep 25, 2017

Also I'm a tad amazed how much hate this speedy gets on here and other forums to - appreciate it's not for everyone, but i'm still amazed it really does divide opinion!.

10. Philip Loftus Sep 25, 2017

images.jpg Rin Tin Tin

kevlar likes this.
  11. Philip Loftus Sep 25, 2017

Tintin images-1.jpg

MTROIS, kevlar and Pun like this.
  12. S. JWood Sep 26, 2017

Two more incoming. Couldn’t resist the temptation of a good deal.

Watchmutt and kevlar like this.
  13. CTS-V Sep 29, 2017

14. kevlar Sep 29, 2017

15. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 2, 2017

After I wrote the initial post on Fratello Watches on the "Tintin" 4 years ago, I finally got one myself (hey man, I am a poor journalist). I was in Tokyo last week, for our reader's journey to Grand Seiko and had a few days to spend. Bumped into this Speedmaster Tintin (when I asked the sales guy about it, he said "Ah yes, the Speedmaster Schumacher") for a very good price (about 311.000 Yen ~ 2350 Euro) in one of the big electronics shops there, where the seem to be selling everything from toothpaste to golfclubs, watches and - of course - electronics. Although I don't support grey market, this deal was to good to let it slide and official channels ran out of them anyway.

Mine has serial 7779784x and came in the newer type box. Put it on a leather racing strap from my wife's on-line shop, which fits it quite perfectly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. kevlar Oct 2, 2017

That sir is a bargain!

McJamesT, Pun, CTS-V and 1 other person like this.
  17. yikkie2377 Oct 2, 2017

Seems like Japan is the place to get a Tin Tin with a reasonable price.

turbo_muc, CTS-V and Robert-Jan like this.
  18. Travelhomedad Oct 2, 2017

That was a great price and congrats Robert on the Tin Tin at such a price.

19. Philip Loftus Oct 2, 2017

Our serial numbers are quite close Robert, mine is 7779738X from Bic Camera.
    Do you or does anyone know where the Tintin rocket was on the dial of the prototype watch, the rocket which had to be removed? My understanding is that it was one of the subdials hands.
    It's my opinion that the watch looks great as is and any additional decoration would not have been a good idea. Anyone agree?

CTS-V and Pun like this.
  20. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 3, 2017

I think the watch got so much attention because it didn't work out with Hergé. The rocket was located at 11 o'clock, not on the sub dials. Hergé (or Moulinsart these days, who protects the heritage of Hergé) is crazily protective of everything Tintin. As you can read in one of the earliest articles on this Tintin watch I did on Fratello Watches, they even warned me with some legal mumbojumbo that I even couldn't use the word 'Tintin' in an article. They are nuts. So, long story short, Omega had the design already and decided to put it on the market as a 'Racing' model. During our meeting with Omega in BaselWorld 2013, I told them I couldn't believe that this is a racing model due to the different lay-out from previous racing models. Then Mr Monachon told me that indeed it was not meant to be a racing model, but one for Hergé's Tintin. Hence, the nickname Tintin that we soon after gave it.

Redbirdsfan70, SteveB, CTS-V and 7 others like this.