Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Nicherotors May 25, 2016

I can't help with the pictures I'm afraid. I went earlier in the year to the museum and was expressly asked not to upload any pictures to the forums.

So, for all you fans it's another great reason to make the pilgrimage to the museum - it's a fantastic place staffed with absolute enthusiasts.

Greatpa likes this.
  2. Greatpa May 25, 2016

::facepalm1::

3. omegadave May 25, 2016

You can observe the various "steps" on the dial at this angle...

---

unnamed-2.jpg
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 25, 2016

To my eyes, it's a texture/ color difference near the edge of the black, but not a step. Look at the lume up close from various angles.

blubarb and sky21 like this.
  5. dalmavfan May 25, 2016

Hey OP, what is your rough estimate as to how many of these TinTins were produced?

6. blubarb May 26, 2016

As rare as tyrantlizardrex teeth :rolleyes::p Will Omega let visitors take photos in their museum. I mean if there is one in there someone has a pic of...???

Edited May 26, 2016
  7. blubarb May 26, 2016

It's definitely a fleck dial and you see it in direct sunlight - but real hard to see without good eyesight or a photo loupe. Excuse the crappy iPhone photos but that's all I gave and a 10x loupe attached to the phone with blu-tac. You can just make out the fleck.

IMG_2698.jpg IMG_2700.jpg

Greatpa likes this.
  8. blubarb May 26, 2016

Some say (me included) between 2,000 to 5,000, others around 1600 to 2000 and the stats (based on known number seen and as incredibly suspect as that is, says 1040 - The only formula I know is based on the German Tank Problem and that's problematic based on no-one likes to give out the full serial number. If you read this full thread you can get a feel for what you might be comfortable with. But either way the numbers were stopped at whatever number of dials were manufactured and there are some interesting anecdotes in the thread about that. Somewhere in the bowels of Omega there are a box of Tintin case backs - but how to get to them. Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

serveimage.jpg

9. blubarb May 26, 2016

I thought that might have been more in line with racing dials of the past - Omega and non Omega, but looking at it I don't think so - not Omega anyway from what I can tell.

Edited May 26, 2016
  10. blubarb May 26, 2016

11. Greatpa May 26, 2016

Dials still available from Omega. Don't know about the casebacks, but my guess would be that they are as well :thumbsup: well, just FYI :cool:

Yes, please do. Will have a look at it and maybe make a comment or two ;)

12. blubarb May 26, 2016

The case backs, as I understand it, have the character Tintin in red and these are unusable for legal reasons. Is it in the museum?

I had to cut and paste the numbers as the PM wouldn't accept the file extension. Still, you get the idea. Feel free to see if you can work something out - hard without the last three digits really and probably a waste of time

13. blubarb May 26, 2016

Does anyone know how the red and white is applied to the dial?

14. tyrantlizardrex May 26, 2016

With my teeth... ;)

nixf6 and blubarb like this.
  15. blubarb May 26, 2016

Spoken like a true dialavore :D

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  16. Flotho May 26, 2016

Hi everyone!
    I am new to the forum and just finished reading this very interesting thread. I would love to see how the original tintin prototype and case backs look like!

Coming back to the Racing Japan vs Tintin topic:
    I was visiting a watch store in Japan yesterday, and funnily enough, I just happen to see those 2 sisters together on sale! (2nd hand). So I had to take a picture. I love those racing variations of the speedmaster. I still prefer the Japan racing dial, but I have to say that this Tintin story really makes it interesting....
    So if one of you wants one (or both!), you know where to go! :p

Sorry for the crappy iphone pic.
    IMG_5148 (3).jpg

menacing, CTS-V, davy26 and 4 others like this.
  17. Flotho May 26, 2016

Unfortunately, despite being recent, none of them was full set. I can't believe it, especially for the Tintin that is like one year old!!!!
    For the Japan racing moonwatches, I find very few here in Japan from time to time, but none has papers. Judging by the S/N, they are all are original, and japanese people are not usually trying to trick, but I guess people don't care and loose the papers and box... :( Most are not collectors obviously.

18. blubarb May 26, 2016

What's the serial number of the Tintin?

19. Flotho May 26, 2016

It's within the range you identified:
    77.779.6XX

Greatpa likes this.
  20. Greatpa May 26, 2016

Did you read this?:

blubarb likes this.