Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Greatpa May 25, 2016

Noticed the special effect the dial has compared to the modern Speedmaster. When you look at it from a certain angle in some light, boom eye candy! ::love:: Glitter in different colours appear. And I think I see a bit more grain on the dial as well.:thumbsup: Maybe a different coating is used for the tintin dial?! This dial seems more glossy to the eye. (Maybe one who actually owns the piece can confirm this?)
    A little detail that makes this model even more attractive ;)

Aaand pictureees :cool:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. blubarb May 25, 2016

Yes, there is something in the coating of the dial (a bit metallic like) but doesn't come out under tungstan lighting too well. I can see under the loupe that there is something slightly different here. I need to get it into the sunlight tomorrow. Hopefully someone can report back sooner.

3. Greatpa May 25, 2016

Could be interesting to get a closer look at the dial, to really see what's going on. Like a macro shot or something. Anyone? :whistling:

4. Ludi May 25, 2016

I'm not skilled enough to do such a picture, but trust my word on it, the black is far darkest than on usual modern Speedies ... plus it's a stepped dial too :cool: ... EDIT: not, the dial is definitely not stepped ! Please ignore previous insanity of mine image.gif

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited May 25, 2016
    CTS-V, Noisy Nova, blubarb and 2 others like this.
  5. Greatpa May 25, 2016

Nice pictures :thumbsup:
    So the dial is darker than the regular speedies, but still has a glossy/shiny/glittering effect to it?
    Also when you say stepped dial (trying to understand), do you refer to the steps in the subdials, or to the whole dial itself? ::confused2::
    If to the subdials, I guess this is standart as you see it on the modern dials too..

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 25, 2016

not a "stepped dial" on mine. The subdials are recessed, but no step at indices.

7. Greatpa May 25, 2016

I agree, the dial does not seem to be stepped upload_2016-5-25_18-5-25.png

hansmaulwurf, blubarb and BlackTalon like this.
  8. Ludi May 25, 2016

My deepest apologies OF community, optical illusion image.jpeg , the dial is not stepped indeed ::facepalm2::

Previous post edited as it should image.gif

Shame on me ! image.gif

ELV web and Greatpa like this.
  9. Greatpa May 25, 2016

10. Ludi May 25, 2016

That glossy red and white paint.... I've been mistaken image.gif

And for my defense, this is not my watch but the wife's image.png

image.jpeg

... and the stepped counterpart

image.jpeg

Hopefully, they'll live hapilly ever after

image.jpeg

;)

Edited May 25, 2016
  11. Greatpa May 25, 2016

Great story there!
    And now wondering why they made the red squares a little wider, so that they connect in the checkering.. If the pattern is to look-a-like the Tintin moonrocket, they got it wrong.. Here the checks are aligned and the colors do not interconnect.. Any thoughts or possible explanation to this guys?
    (I know we're talking details here ::screwloose::)
    [​IMG]

12. Nicherotors May 25, 2016

Good spot - the unique prototype in the Omega museum has the identical broader red squares to the pattern that went into production and now on your wrist.

So it was a deliberate feature - or at least no one was forced to change it before it went into production. You have good eyesight!

13. Greatpa May 25, 2016

Well, I guess as this watch is somewhat a failure from Omega's side (a win to some collectors of course :rolleyes:) they did not want to use more time correcting minor details such as this.
    To me it seems that it is a fault in the production. The layers of paint have not been put on there with enough care (or unwillingness to look into details ::facepalm2::)
    dwas.PNG
    In this photo you can see that the white paint has rounded edges.

- I think maybe the red paint was applied first.
    - Then it has dried and then the white paint was added (maybe) explaining the round corners of the white checks.
    - At last the black indices on top

To explain why the white paint has not come together, maybe the manufactures did not add enough white paint. ::facepalm1:: So when doing the painting, there was not enough white to cover half the red.
    If someone at the factory had noticed, they might have changed the amount of white color?! Or did they just not have the time or finesse ::shy::

Just my theory ::popcorn::

14. Nicherotors May 25, 2016

I'm happy to agree with that theory but the end result is a beautiful face that stands up well to most scrutiny - unless really magnified.

For what its worth, the prototype in the museum is on a black NATO strap.

I remain comfortable keeping mine on a leather rally strap; and can't see any flaws in this picture.

IMG_8056.JPG
    frazierspa likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex May 25, 2016

Does the prototype have a different dial?

16. Greatpa May 25, 2016

more
    means more details to the eye :cool:

17. Greatpa May 25, 2016

@blubarb could you please post the updated serial number list for the Speedmaster Tintin?

18. Nicherotors May 25, 2016

Yes - a little rocket ship at 11 o'clock flying clockwise with the jet trail that extended to 10 o'clock.

If it had been me; I would have put a small rocket ship on the tail of the large chrono seconds hand so that it would have been animated. Probably explains why I'm not a watch designer!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  19. Greatpa May 25, 2016

What a great watch this would have been. Do you happen to have any pictures? And when did you go to the museum?

20. tyrantlizardrex May 25, 2016

Don't suppose anyone has a picture of the pre production?