Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 28, 2019

I’m also Authetic Watches and David SW. I’m everybody all the time.

2. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 28, 2019

Anyway, back to reality. I prefer the dial without the rocket.

WurstEver likes this.
  3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 28, 2019

Now if the rocket where etched into the crystal you might have something.
    That I would go for

Redbirdsfan70 likes this.
  4. Inushuk Mar 29, 2019

I'm big fan of the comic Tintin but not enought to have this rocket on the dial .. :)

WurstEver likes this.
  5. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 29, 2019

Maybe an engraving on the back but I agree completely I don’t think the Rocket would have worked. A neat NATO strap would have been nice but you can buy a complimentary nato from the OB that looks great on the TinTin. A lunar module for the box-sure!

6. simbal Mar 29, 2019

You can get Tintin in the 7k+ range and you are happy you bought 2 at 9k+!

7. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 29, 2019

Nonsense. Unworn NOS is what I have. Full kits all paperwork NOS sets are skyrocketing. Yes I’m very happy with paying $9400 & $9600. I have already been offered by a dealer a white gold Daytona for one of my TinTin’s plus $7,000. I think within the next year I’ll have one traded for a Daytona. That was the point of buying a second to trade for a Daytona.

8. WurstEver Mar 31, 2019

So there's a couple of interesting things coming out of the responses to the question about the aesthetics of the Tintin dial. First and foremost, it appears that Moulinsart may have done Omega a favour when they decided not to make a deal. Despite the fact that the existing, rocket-less Tintin dial is not what was originally intended, it nevertheless appears to be more popular than the alternative design by a considerable margin. Overall so far around 85% (11 of 13) of respondents have indicated that they prefer the existing design.

Also interestingly, the large majority of respondents over the last few days have been current owners (12 of 13, approx 92%). A big shout out to our one and only interested onlooker to have registered an opinion so far: @TJH :thumbsup: No former owners have responded yet.

I suppose that if I had guessed before now, I would have thought that there might be more folks browsing this thread who didn't already own a Tintin or who once owned one. Perhaps there are, but they just haven't responded.

TJH likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 31, 2019

The rocket would have been in the seconds subdial like all other LEs in my book
    7C2C430F-BD71-4595-803E-3782E14727E5.jpeg 22C9BE0C-AB4B-4EF6-BB2C-83E46B2CCDBF.jpeg

chronoboy64 and WurstEver like this.
  10. WatchWalker Mar 31, 2019

IMG_2548.jpg
    Even more than today. I'm a current owner and bought mine new just before the hype started. Attracted by the aesthetics, confirmed by the (real) story behind it. If the original design was kept (the original design rocket at 11h was little larger and fatter, exhaust stream smoked) we would also have gotten a fantastic case back with a colourful scene from the Tintin comic.

wouter van wijk, CTS-V and WurstEver like this.
  11. WurstEver Mar 31, 2019

Thanks. Yeah, the rumored case back did sound pretty cool. Great strap on yours!

wouter van wijk and WatchWalker like this.
  12. WurstEver Mar 31, 2019

It is interesting that the rumoured sightings of the prototype Tintin dial put the rocket at 10- or 11-o'clock when most other LEs have their distinguishing marks on the seconds subdial. I guess the Snoopy also had distinguishing elements elsewhere (eg. central text bubble, 14 second track). But then again, that was a very different dial in lots of ways. Others?

13. Nicherotors Mar 31, 2019

I quite liked the watch when I first saw it and then became convinced when I read about the Tintin story and saw a picture with a black rallye strap. I wear mine with the rallye strap.

Having held the original prototype in my hand at the museum I would still have bought it - much sooner and would definitely be happier.

So from a commercial perspective it’s hard to tell. I suspect some Omega fans would have been switched off, those that like collecting the limited editions probably would have followed anyway and some non Omega fans would have been introduced to the brand who love Tintin.

Omegadave’s sketch above is spot on. The case back was lovely - the cover of the Explorers on the Moon in enamel.

14. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 31, 2019

Are those real? Haven’t seen them before. The Skylab version is appealing to me.

15. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2019

SpeedyMcNasty likes this.
  16. M5inPA Mar 31, 2019

I am a big fan of the Tin Tin.
    It is my favorite Omega watch.
    I prefer the dial without the rocket.

WurstEver likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 31, 2019

Yes, there is three different Skylab watches.

Remember the hype at school as it was going to crash into Australia

SpeedyMcNasty likes this.
  18. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 31, 2019

That’s cool. All the hype over modern LE’s and I hadn’t seen any of the older ones. My grandma gave me stamps that went up on Skylab, I’ll have to find them and post if anyone is interested.

Redbirdsfan70 likes this.
  19. CTS-V Mar 31, 2019

Should have put a lobster on the dial....would be in the $30k range by now....

514D5AAF-9E69-4836-977F-2B65978CB2F6.jpeg

Redbirdsfan70 and WurstEver like this.
  20. Hoddspur Apr 1, 2019

All, some advice please.

I have the chance of buying a NOS Speedmaster Tintin for £7,000 but am hesitant for obvious reasons - mainly financial!

Do you think that I t’s a bit on the expensive side and, as much as I like it, have I missed the boat on this particular model ever being affordable?

Thanks.:thumbsdown: