Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. xantiagib Mar 26, 2019

2. rmcard Mar 26, 2019

A quick story - Authentic Watches had the watch advertised for $5k. I tried to buy one and was told they didn't actually have one, but could "source" it for me. I knew by then that it wasn't going to happen at $5k, but I said sure - go ahead and try. Shortly thereafter, they jacked up their online price to $10k and sure enough couldn't source one for me at $5k. Now I think they advertise the one they do have in stock for close to $15k. So, safe to say we're in bubble territory. It's a nice watch, and I'm happy to own one, but there are better, safer investments out there. Like Bitcoin. Nobody's ever lost money investing in crypto.

Redbirdsfan70 and padders like this.
  3. dwboston Mar 26, 2019

Nice try. Tell that to to the folks who kept their crypto at Mt.Gox, or those who bought Bitcoin at $13,850 (it's ~ $3900 today). That's a sweet 72% "paper" loss for the HODLRs.

DLT222 and Pun like this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 26, 2019

I think he was being ironic. SOHF?

5. rmcard Mar 26, 2019

Sarcastic. Very very sarcastic.

6. dwboston Mar 26, 2019

It's hard to tell in this thread.

Redbirdsfan70, sgrossma and padders like this.
  7. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 26, 2019

$15k. Wow! I’m fortunate I bought my pair for $9400, $9600. There was one listed yesterday I saw on watchrecon that was significantly cheaper than $15,000. I’ll have to look for it.

8. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 26, 2019

The used one at the Marriott sold for $11,000 in used condition. This was one was posted for $10,000 range nos. Much more acceptable than $15,000. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=665087

9. rmcard Mar 26, 2019

Like I said - I think it's aspirational more than realistic -- but here you go.

10. MJWatch Mar 26, 2019

$15,000 is likely going to happen sooner than many want to believe. I bet this sells.

11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 26, 2019

CTS-V likes this.
  12. kilofinal Mar 27, 2019

$15K? Someone should tell the member who's selling a NOS TinTin on the Forum for under 8K. In fact, I believe the price was reduced and still for sale.

13. XXoF Mar 27, 2019

For the record, mine is 77776780

14. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Mar 27, 2019

This thread has become very similar to what we had in the early days of the Silver Snoopy - mostly about the monetary value of a not especially pleasing design from the aesthetic viewpoint, (but I appreciate that some think it has special value as an error piece, like a postal stamp with a misprint). I also empathise with the interest expressed in the back-story and the intrigue involved with the Herge disposition and the 'rumour' that a fully realised dial design example is kept under lock and key at the Museum. But none of this justifies the extent of value growth speculated by some posters, and I suspect that there's more hype than substance here and possibly a bubble which will burst sooner or later. Just saying.

JesterP and TJH like this.
  15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 27, 2019

I bought mine 'gently used' a couple years ago, before prices climbed. It was the least expensive Speedy Pro I have purchased. I bought it because I liked the 'not especially pleasing design'. As it turns out, it was pleasing to me.

I am not a Tintin show fan. I may have seen a couple episodes when I was a little kid, but the fact that the dial design was related to that show didn't mean anything to me -- I just liked the not especially pleasing aesthetic. :D

'Course I liked the Silver Snoopy as well when it came out. And not because I am a Peanut's fan, but because of the award and what it meant. I wish the prices of those watches did not shoot through the roof they way they did, as I would still like to have one.

16. Redbirdsfan70 Mar 27, 2019

Yeah, I'm digging the not especially pleasing design of the Tintin and Silver Snoopy. The stories behind them are super cool too. We are watch geeks. We love stories and uniqueness. Who else in the world goes gaga for wabi-sabi on a watch and all manner of patina (which is essentially a defect)?????

The Father likes this.
  17. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 27, 2019

Having the rocket on the dial would have been interesting. However with a rocket, it may have been too clownish for me. Doubt I would have bought since I do like to wear the Tintin few times a month. What is opinion of other tintin holders?

Kinda like the Snoopy, if I would have been interested in watches at the time I wouldn't buy a watch with a Peanuts cartoon character on it. But of course I am sure all those rue the day they didn't buy the Snoopy Speedmaster.

Patina yes, cartoons characters no.

18. Redbirdsfan70 Mar 27, 2019

I'd have bought the Snoopy. I think it Snoop dog is subtle enough on the dial so as not to be the focal point of the watch. And given his ties to NASA and Omega winning the award, it makes sense. Plus, Snoopy is cool as hell.

The Father likes this.
  19. rmcard Mar 27, 2019

I prefer the aesthetics... but that's me. I think it's a striking watch, especially in person. And I get the "error" nature of the watch and the allure that provides in organically limiting the number made (in itself a relatively unique event). It's kind of like the upside down airplane stamp or, for those of a certain age who collected baseball cards, the Billy Ripken F*** Face baseball card. Something went wrong-ish and now you've got a rarer, limited run piece.

I'm sorry for adding to the discussion about the value or price appreciation if it offends some, but I don't know that speaking about the circumstances of its price increase or scarcity is uninteresting or not worthy of discussion. It may not appeal to some who hope to appreciate the watch for its own non-monetary appeals, but I don't see why they can't co-exist peaceably.

The Father and Redbirdsfan70 like this.
  20. WurstEver Mar 27, 2019

This matter of aesthetics and what might have been had the deal with Moulinsart not fallen through is interesting. Let's gather some information! We have a reasonable idea of what the rocket dial would probably have looked like. With all credit to @omegadave who created the image below, here's what we could have had...

[​IMG]

So, just how much of a misstep was the watch that was actually released? Might Omega have dodged a bullet, aesthetically speaking? Let's do a survey. The question is, if the Tintin had been released with the rocket dial, would that have been (a) more, or (b) less appealing to you? And to make things a bit more interesting, are you (a) a current owner, (b) a former owner, or (c) an interested onlooker?

I'll start: Current owner, less appealing with the rocket.

CTS-V, Pun, Redbirdsfan70 and 2 others like this.