Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. sgrossma Mar 23, 2019

2. sgrossma Mar 23, 2019

BTW - I would not service your watch just to have Omega records. I think standard service costs are pushing $900USD now. They were previously $800 something, but I think they went up. You will not be adding that much value to your watch.

From my experience, you can service a watch and get between 40-50% of that value back.

It is not that difficult to determine if a watch is genuine or if the serial corresponds to the reference. So unless your watch isn't keeping good time or some other aspect of it is not functioning, I would highly recommend not wasting your money :)

3. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 23, 2019

I agree my post was an oversimplification.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 23, 2019

Can't the newer watches be verified through the extranet by an OB? You should be able to get info on the validity of the watch that way.

5. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Mar 23, 2019

A couple of years ago, when I was considering buying my Japan Racing (2004), quoting the serial number I was able to obtain from Omega's UK office a written confirmation that it had been 'built' as a 3570.40, so I'd agree that basic information on later Speedies is available, even if not a formal 'Extract.'

6. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 23, 2019

Oh I’ve made the trade in mistake before. I wouldn’t have done, mostly curious. Thanks for the wisdom though.

7. ATWG Mar 23, 2019

8. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 23, 2019

9. MJWatch Mar 23, 2019

I listed my last TinTin in December and had more inquiries than any other watch I normally sell. I’m a flipper and I’d love to have more TinTin’s but the days of finding them used or nos at a flippable price is over. I sold my last one for $9800 and there were associated fees the buyer paid $10,200 range all in. It sold within 2 days. It was used not NOS. I get requests all the time for NOS TinTin’s but they just don’t exist. My advice hold onto these as the prices are far from the top. I wouldn’t be surprised if prices doubled.

10. His&Herge Mar 24, 2019

I don't know about this. My tintin was my first nice watch. Still my only nice watch. I had a Glycine before that, which I was happy with, but fell down the rabbit hole and wanted a speedy. I really had to save for it, and was over the moon when I saw a tintin advertised locally for a reasonable price (in context now, a great price).

Now - although I loved watching the legend and the popularity grow - I don't feel comfortable wearing it. It's now way more valuable than I'd feel comfortable wearing at work etc, plus now I'm afraid I'll ding it. Six thousand USD is a much higher game than I bought into!

I should probably sell it, but I wouldn't know how (I don't trust ebay and I'm not aware of any dealers etc here in New Zealand). Plus I guess I would feel weird about "viewing it as a commodity" - I was pretty into it before it went in the drawer!

So now I don't wear it, and every time there's a new round of high prices in this thread I think again about insurance, safer storage, selling it, basically anything other than using it to tell the time. I think there will be a few in my boat, who love the watch, but have found themselves compelled to think about selling due to the rising tide.

P.S. First post, long time lurker. I've greatly appreciated all the information in this place - you guys are good value.

11. MJWatch Mar 25, 2019

I definitely see the TinTin doubling to $20,000 in the near future. As a watch flipper if I had a TinTin I would hold it as I definitely think I’m getting $20,000 a year from now. Hold tight for now. Yes there are $11,000-$12,000 asking prices which I think is selling it short. Hold onto it. The price is only going up. There is rarely a mistake watch like this in such short supply.

12. sgrossma Mar 25, 2019

...and then again to $40k in 2 years, and $80k in 3 years, and $160k in 4 years, $320k in 5 years, $640k in 6 years, and finally.... if you hold 7 years... you will have a $1.28 Million dollar watch.

Hold it, people!

:)

MaiLollo, fergusm, TJH and 5 others like this.
  13. smitty190373 Mar 25, 2019

This thread is now so boring.

fergusm, TJH and Shankified like this.
  14. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 25, 2019

The Omega dealer in the Marriott sold the used $11,000 tintin. They plan on buying another via the forums. Omega dealers are now buying from the used market. It’s an interesting turn.

15. SpeedyTomorrow Mar 25, 2019

:) If you can get me to $2.5m I could retire. I can’t wait 15 years though..... Bummer!

xantiagib likes this.
  16. DSOTM Mar 25, 2019

It is starting to resemble a crypto currency forum. :eek:

To the moon!

xantiagib, dwboston and 8100_RPM like this.
  17. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 25, 2019

Hot damn, I can hardly wait. Maybe if I post what a cool watch it is the price will rise even faster and I won't have to wait so long.

Pun and Redbirdsfan70 like this.
  18. simbal Mar 25, 2019

Lol.... I can actually follow your math!

19. Skipper_S Mar 26, 2019

If you are SO SURE why dont you buy ALL the tintin watches available for sale in all sites and just wait? You can even get a bank loan if you dont have enough funds to make it possible!!!

You are trying FLIP your tintin FASTER than it should.... lol

Edited Mar 26, 2019
  20. xantiagib Mar 26, 2019

Yay - I can pay off my mortgage in 4 years time....! who needs watches when your cell phone tells you the time all over the world