Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Dwix Feb 21, 2019

Hmm, I think I’d agree. The better question may be—where will it stop? This watch wouldn’t be worth more than a Japanese racing dial (or whatever it’s called, sorry I’m bad at names but I remember faces).

Pun likes this.
  2. Fabrice M Feb 21, 2019

The right answer is that nobody knows. Lots of people like to hype-it up so that they can sell the one they have for thousands more, someone wrote in a blog that it could be the next Daytona... lot’s of hype... I believe the number is in the hight thousands. If it was that low Omega wouldn’t have market it or it would have made it a super limited numbered edition and sell it as a premium. The fact that it didn’t tells me that the number was probably much higher than some people believe.

3. Dwix Feb 21, 2019

According to folks here and elsewhere you’re in the minority with that viewpoint. I think it’s easier to summize not very many were made.—all factors considered.

Pun and Redbirdsfan70 like this.
  4. WurstEver Feb 22, 2019

In non-price-related news, I had the adjustable clasp fitted to my Tintin this week. The clasp is just as awesome on the Tintin as it is on my Speedy 9300, but the process of having it switched out was so much easier than it was a couple of years ago. Popped into the boutique and was on my way again in about 15-20 mins. Very pleased!

_20190222_175629.JPG

jetkins, Pun, ptfly and 4 others like this.
  5. Fabrice M Feb 22, 2019

Well of course anyone who own a Tintin won't like what I have to say..lol. That said, the value of a watch isn't about the number made, never has been, it's about what people are willing to pay. I am not saying it isn't worth it, I am just saying the numbers are inflated and I think my argument is more than reasonable from a business point of view and looking at the history of how Omega releases watch models over the years. I just had a 1016 appraised for 18k, and it was made at least in the 6 or 7 figures, maybe even more... Is the watch rare, not at all, but people are willing to pay big money for it right now. I have been collecting high-end watches for a long time, and I have seen a lot of great narrative surrounding certain watches, some were true, most weren't... But everyone likes a good story, nothing wrong with that.

rominvicta, Pun and mblease like this.
  6. rmcard Feb 22, 2019

I'm not certain I follow your logic. Scarcity - or perceived scarcity - is among the most relevant factors in pricing an item, like an expensive watch, that has no other inherent utility (i.e., a $20 quartz digital Casio tells time about as well). The only reasons someone might be willing to pay $9000 today is because (a) they're speculating that it will be worth more in the future and desire to hold it as an investment or (b) they want to own it and are concerned that if they don't buy it today at $X, it will only increase in price and become unobtainable (or they will pay the price for waiting). You see a premium on NOS examples now precisely because they are scarce. People didn't buy these up like Ultramans to keep them in a safe - if they were bought at all, they were bought and worn. As the NOS models are snatched up entirely, I think you'll see the gap between new and unworn narrow. But it's an entirely silly argument that scarcity doesn't drive up prices...

Redbirdsfan70 likes this.
  7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 22, 2019

From what I have gathered in reading about the Tintin it is people in the "know" that have the number between 1500-2000. With that said the minimum price should be $10,000. There are some that would take more or less. This is all in fun

8. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 22, 2019

like that clasp. Very nice.

9. Dwix Feb 22, 2019

Yes but you are missing all the important factors that lead up to “what people are willing to pay”—that the Tintin was a false start (which is interesting and unique) and because of that not many were made (which is also a factor and not a non-factor as you would suggest). Because of those things tintin is not just another speedmaster. What will it be worth in the future? I don’t know except to say a lot more than I paid for it. And that makes me smile.

Skipper_S likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 22, 2019

The watch is great but there is more than a faint whiff of pump and dump in this thread. A tang of Kool Aid too. Try and keep it real people.

rominvicta, kilofinal, Ree and 2 others like this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 22, 2019

D8A102EF-0110-4127-B9FF-AECACBFD89C7.jpeg DD890A46-B877-4431-9BBC-68F5DCC0149E.jpeg I stumbled upon my Tintin on HQ.
    Bought because it was different and have invested in an expensive strap to make it unique.
    Like to wear it at times. If I sell it Ok, if I don't Ok. How about a picture or two.

Edited Feb 22, 2019
    Inushuk, 4runnin and padders like this.
  12. Dwix Feb 22, 2019

I agree! Wait, what’s happening?

13. Redbirdsfan70 Feb 22, 2019

Your Rolex 1016 goes for high money because it is rare and it is hard to find one in good nick. Even though they were made relatively unchanged for 25 years there just isn't a great deal of them available for sale in good condition and all original. That makes it scarce and adds to their value. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think I'm way off the mark. A friend recently bought one that wasn't all original but in great shape. He was willing to buy it knowing some parts were correct and original to a 1016 but not his 1016 and the era it was made simply because they are hard to find.

14. Redbirdsfan70 Feb 22, 2019

Mind if I ask what you paid for the new adjustable clasp? Was it just the clasp that was needed and no other links?

15. WurstEver Feb 22, 2019

Sure, no worries at all. The total was just over $300 AUD (approx $220 USD right now), which from memory is a little less expensive than it used to be. Three parts are needed: Two 118STZ000015 end links, plus the 117STZ001154 clasp itself.

When I last had this done (around 2016), it was not well understood by Omega staff. But now they seem quite familiar with what parts are needed and how to do the swap.

jetkins, Pun, destroid and 1 other person like this.
  16. sbac Feb 25, 2019

how far along is the estimation of the total production and how many more serial #s are needed? also, who is gathering the #s - happy to send mine along but would rather PM than post.

17. Redbirdsfan70 Feb 25, 2019

18. SpeedyMcNasty Feb 25, 2019

I also went with an adjustable clasp, makes the bracelet much more comfortable for me.

WurstEver likes this.
  19. firstspeedy Feb 25, 2019

Hey all!
    Wanted to pick your collective brains on a purchase.

I'm looking to buy a tin tin, it's been eating at me since not buying one last year at Costco for $3,600. This would be my first major watch purchase and after reading and reading and reading, I personally put the watch value at about $6K. Here's my dilemma: after speaking with a couple ADs my options are $6k for a used one watch only with AD COA and 2 year AD warranty or $7K for a full set with 4 year remaining Omega warranty. I would prefer the full set but my comfort level is $6K I trust both dealers are offering a legit watch I just don't know if box and papers is worth 1/6 of the price and if I'm paying right price at $7K or getting an unbeatable bargain at $6k.

Your thoughts feedback expertise is valued, thanks!

20. teojjsg Feb 26, 2019

Get the USD7K set. 4 yrs more warranty meant it is super new and only registered last year.