Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 20, 2019

I heard about that one.

ATWG likes this.
  2. Dwix Feb 20, 2019

So, I’m curious then—What is a good common sense price for a Tintin per our esteemed forum folks? I’m not planning on selling mine, I like my watch fine.

I’m enjoying the thread but really more curious if anyone landed on how many Tintins were made. Do we still think the number is around 1,500?

3. Redbirdsfan70 Feb 20, 2019

It always irritates me a bit when the seller gets basic details about the watch wrong like stating it's caliber 861 when it should be 1861. Is it a typo or do they not know the product they are selling. I digress...

I tried a quick Google search to find it but buried in this thread somewhere around 2016 RJB stated that in discussions with Omega's VP of Product Development the number is somewhere between 1500 and 2000. Most of us regularly following this thread feel that's the last word on it until someone uncovers something more robust. Check out www.fratellowatch.com. There are about 3 articles on the Tintin that go through the story of the watch in more detail.

4. Dwix Feb 20, 2019

Ya, I’ve read all the Fratello watch articles and I’ve followed this thread right up through the prissiness of how much a Tintin should be worth.—which is interesting fodder but not the point of this thread.

1500-2000 tintins made is buried in the thread because folks commenting further were trying to narrow that estimate down further, no? Perhaps that estimate is as close as anyone can determine? Good enough. ...ok, back to bickering over what they’re worth... ;)

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 20, 2019

no need to bicker -- the market tells us. Less than $5,900 USD for a used one right now.

6. mokofoko One sad panda Feb 20, 2019

Well, that's the hope anyhow. Ebay is a pretty good indicator of market value, and all of the preowned sales since november have been edging north of $6k. The most recent went for $7k+, but that may have been a special case (darn thing looked new).

7. Redbirdsfan70 Feb 20, 2019

@Dwix LMFAO!!!! Nice one. But it does seem this thread has been discussing value more of late as we have zero new intel on the number produced. Should we start a new thread for strap and bracelet options? Has anyone put their Tintin on a vintage Speedy bracelet? I'm thinking of trying mine on my 1479/812 once I get the endlinks properly filed.

@BlackTalon did you mean not less than $5900 USD? Either way, one data point does not represent the market. Chrono24's Watch Collection tool tells me it's about $7600 USD.

upload_2019-2-20_16-17-59.png

8. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 20, 2019

Maybe the $5900 specimen had a limited audience. It is not a pristine NOS, but has the original bracelet and a killer custom strap. Some like to wear the Tintin, others want it to be a safe queen for the big pay day in future that may or may not materialize.
    Chrono24 has some pretty outlandish prices right now.
    1500-2000 pieces is the output that majority informational sources put forth.
    Can’t complain about what I paid for the one I got, but I’m not emotionally attached to it

9. Redbirdsfan70 Feb 20, 2019

Chrono24 prices are higher than private sales that's for sure Private sales are always lower than through dealers no matter what the product. I'd say the true market value lies somewhere in between those values. The only reason I show the Chrono24 data is it uses real data on real sales. We could glance at www.watchrecon.com and get an idea of the private sales market too though some sellers on forums are pretty much dealers.

10. Dwix Feb 20, 2019

What happened to Tintins hitting the $9k range a few pages of comments ago? I was thinking—if they’re going for ~$9k that’s more reason to hang on to the watch! Right? Paul Newman Daytona’s weren’t catching anyone’s attention for years and then kaboom. So, an immediate significant jump in value would seem to indicate even bigger things down the line. But alas, they haven’t jumped in value thaaaaat much. Again, I just like the watch. ...keep the value debate alive!

Redbirdsfan70 likes this.
  11. Sunsetamps Feb 21, 2019

I was offered $8500 for my TinTin from a Rolex dealer. I obviously said no. $8500 from a dealer that likely will resell and profit in the process means the value to this dealer was higher than $8500. How much higher? Good question.

ajshiner69 likes this.
  12. Dwix Feb 21, 2019

I have a feeling your experience is becoming the rule not the exception...operative word ‘becoming.’ I think the exception are the $5k-$6k Tintins. I would use HQ Milton as the barometer. They’re gonna sell ‘em in the ~$7k range and they only deal in interesting and desirable and mostly important vintage stuff. Point is—future value should make you feel almost as good as the watch does. And I think that’s pretty damn cool.

13. Sunsetamps Feb 21, 2019

14. Dwix Feb 21, 2019

It just makes ya smile.

15. Dwix Feb 21, 2019

We should have a friendly contest: what will they sell for by the end of 2019?

I think they top out below $10k. Perhaps at $9.5k.

Inushuk likes this.
  16. mokofoko One sad panda Feb 21, 2019

Depends whether you mean new or preowned. There's a pretty sizable value gap between the two. And then you've got the used pieces that are missing things like original bracelet, box, warranty cards, etc.

17. Dwix Feb 21, 2019

Call it: examples with box & papers in good to excellent condition. What will mean value be by end of year?

18. mokofoko One sad panda Feb 21, 2019

I haven't really used sites like chrono24 as a resource and have mainly just been keeping an eye on ebay since 2016. Based on the upward trend since early 2018, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see used pieces (with all materials, desk-diver marks and clearly worn) regularly eclipse the $7k mark by years end. It's anyone's guess whether this model will still be "hot" by next year. Due to the scarcity and word of mouth (probably in no small part due to this thread), I'm assuming that the recent growing demand will be sustained.

19. Sunsetamps Feb 21, 2019

Well, like was said above TinTin watches without papers are going to drag down the prices. Watches that are well worn also bring down the prices. Not all are created equally. That said I think $9000 is easily the current market value for unworn complete sets. $8000 for used sets. $6500+ for watch without papers. Redials are just garbage imo mod watches with no value.

I think unworn complete sets are easily $10,000+ by July. $12,000+ by December.

Used complete sets will trail 15-20%.

20. Sunsetamps Feb 21, 2019

Also don’t forget many sellers want asking price plus associated fees and shipping and insurance.

This one that just sold for $9000
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=643135

Might be a sale closer to $9300 factoring in these additional expenses. I’d think going forward anything priced under $9000 is a mistake.